Cade Thompson Wins Mr. Football

Somedude

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chad Pennington was NOT "awesome" in high school.  Jermaine Copeland from Harriman was a better QB than Pennington in their era.  I think they may have graduated the same year.

825459203[/snapback]

Chad Pennington played on a wing-t team. Its not like he could show his whole potential in high school. He was still very good. Besides look how far he has come compared to Jermaine Copeland. He became a WR who is playing in the CFL now.

I agree that the guy from Maryville is awesome (don't know the other guy Thomas).  But unfortunately I don't think he'll be playing much at UNC.  He is just a skinny semi-tall high school QB that gets the job done.  He's not what I would consider an "outstanding" college prospect.  I don't want to take anything away from his accomplishments though -- he's done exactly all the right things and he wins high school football games.  I hope he does really well, but from a pragmatic perspective I don't believe he has D1 starter potential.  I am from blount county and my personal opinion is that the guy from alcoa a few years ago was a better QB.

825458310[/snapback]

Hmmmm....weren't Joe Montana, Doug Flutie, Peyton Manning and Kenny stabler skinny, kinda tall QB's in high school and college? Cade has all the tols to be a great QB. He just needs a lil honing. Heck, he might even hit a growth spurt and get up around 6'4". He just needs muscle and experience at the college level. He'll play on staurdays...guaranteed. thumb

I just heard Cade has won Mr. Football 4A!! Congratulations big man!!!

Thompson looking to make clean sweep by year's end2004-11-30

by Leonard Butts

of The Daily Times Staff

NASHVILLE -- Maryville quarterback Cade Thompson has clinched one Tennessee Mr. Football award but can make it a sweep before the end of the year.

Thompson, who on Monday was named the American General Class 4A Mr. Football for best back, has also been nominated for the Charles Greenhill Prep Player of the Year award presented by the Lawrenceburg Quarterback Club.

This will be the 24th year for the annual award, which will be given at a banquet at Lawrence County High School on Dec. 13.

Thompson has already been named the East Tennessee Player of the Year by the Lawrenceburg organization, which nominates three players each year, one from each region of the state.

The Middle Tennessee winner is Patrick Turner of Goodpasture who garnered the Class 2A Mr. Football award for backs, and the West Tennessee winner is Jeff Cottam of Germantown, who also claimed the American General Class 5A Mr. Football lineman award on Monday.

The three will compete for the final award.

``I'd never really heard of it before, but it's an honor to be named the East Tennessee Player of the Year,'' Thompson said. ``I think it's great that football is only one aspect of it.''

The Lawrenceburg Quarterback Club awards originated before the American General Mr. Football awards and were once the only statewide recognition for high school football players.

The selection committee takes into consideration not only the athletic ability and statistics of nominees but also academic work, character and college preparedness.

The 2004 Lawrenceburg Quarterback Club award winner for Prep Coach of the Year is Walt Smith of Mt. Pleasant High, and the Prep Official of the Year is Don Barry of Clarksville.

The speaker at next month's awards banquet will be Murphy Fair, who for many years has complied a high school football preview publication that gives an overview of every high school team from Memphis to Mountain City.