Jeff County Lady Patriots

DZbettin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are only two eighth graders in the county that I believe can step in an make an immediate impact as a freshman such as Katisha Mattison is doing this year.

Lauren Lyke at Rush Strong and Chelsea Whiteside at Jefferson. Jordan Batey also may make the varsity squad next year.

Lyke and Whiteside both are dominating post players and it will be almost a given that they will see varsity action next year, considering Huff and Rickard will be gone and Chambers is the only true post player left, with Mattison being a post/guard.

White Pine is a very young team and has only one or two eighth graders on the roster, both of which don't start. They have a really good sixth and seventh grader that are high school material if things progress accordingly.

At Maury, there are several girls that may one day play at the highschool level but i dont see them stepping in and contributing immediately on varsity.

Had the privelege of seeing Lauren Lyke play last night and I was impressed. She is a big girl that has moves down low and from the wing. She has a beautiful shot and drained a couple of nice 3's. She also uses ball fakes well and can penetrate. The only thing I can see holding her back is the lack of competition that Rush Strong will see this year. She is head and shoulders above everyone in that conference and will dominate.

Lauren plays a lot of basketball year round, so she will see as much competition as she wants to. I am sure she plays almost twice as many games in AAU/YBOA action as she does in Middle School. She, Chelsea and Jordan play AAU together, another plus for the JC program.

DZ you are right...of the non seniors, Jeff County is deep at the wing/guard level, and will be looking for post type players. I think Lauren's true postion is at a shooting forward/Wing postion, but with the lack of height in the next few years, she is going to be pressed into service underneath.

Not that I want to get to next year too quickly, but the reality is that after being blessed with height for 4 years, JC is going to go through some years where the emphasis is going to change.

I am not worried, I think coach Potts will be prepared for it.

Johnny, I forget...who did Rush Strong play last night? Was it Maury?

See ya tonight!

Edited by raiderray

Actually there were some pretty good teams in the Tri-County conference this year. Rutledge and Rogersville City both have a lot of talent and have been able to match size with Lyke.

As for Lauren's stats on the season, 18.2 points game 6 rebounds, she was 5 of 8 from three point range before the game against Maury last night. Her season-high is 29 points.

Jefferson County 62, Cocke County 39 - friday night at JCHS

Good team for Jefferson Couny to play after the hard fought loss to greeneville earlier in the week.

Huff and Kyle combined for 39 points. Rickard added 8.

Jefferson County got off to a slow start, tied 19-19 midway through the second quarter. However, they were able to pull away in the second half, limiting CC to just one field goal in the fourth.

Potts says that it was a good effort by his team, especially going from playing the best team in the conference to playing CC. Cocke County actually looked pretty decent, and i expect them to compete for the third spot in the IMAC.

Jefferson County finishes out the year with a long stretch of non-conference games, beginning with Clinton and DB on back to back nights Monday and Tuesday.

Clinton's record would indicate that they are awful, but they have probably played one of the toughest schedules in east tennessee (Heritage, Powell, Bradley Central, William Blount, Oak Ridge, Karns, Pigeon Forge, and now JC). Their lone win was against Powell at the first of the month.

DB finished last in the Holiday Classic tournament, so I don't see them providing much of a challenge.

I guess it's all just warmups for the big showdowns in the Christmas tourney.

Easy, DZ.......oh, I mean, DuckinAround...... Lauren Lyke, from Rush Strong, is the one blessed with height between the Lyke sisters......Like Lindsay, she is an awfully talented basketball player......I can see her helping Jeff County on the varsity level next year.....I know she will work hard this offseason to be able to step into varsity action, whether it be at the wing or post position.....While there will be a transition period (with the departures of veterans Huff, Rickard, Lyke this year and Kyle and Sinard next year), Jeff County has some more talented players waiting to fill their shoes

DZ,

This old man from Jefferson County says you need to buy you some new pants (and don't hide his water next time at the ballgame)

I am going to post the link to the Greene County tournament on here so Jefferson County fans can talk about it without the arrogant MJ or WC fans interupting.

http://www.gclc.xtn.net/

That site has a list of teams, as well as a downloadable tournament bracket.

Jefferson County definitely got in the weaker bracket. Wilson Central has it made with North Greene in round one. Powell vs. Sevier County doesn't seem to be as an attrack matchup as in years past. JC should handle AA Elizabethton. A weeak South Greene team plays a Cabrini, LA team that i know nothing about.

In the other bracket, I hope Heritage runs Mt Juliet off the court in the semis.

Ill leave on that one lol