clarksville vs smyrna

reuben128

How about this from the local newspaper.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Clarksville wrestlers win big in opener vs. Smyrna

Wildcats coach not impressed with win, sees many things team can improve on

By JAMES D. HORNE

The Leaf-Chronicle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's always good to get the first wrestling dual out of the way, as ninth-ranked Clarksville did in downing Smyrna, 57-12, Tuesday night in the CHS gym.

But in being the first dual of the season, the Wildcats saw some good things — and other things that need to be worked on.

"I think you always think you are better than you are," said Clarksville coach Jeff Jordan, whose Wildcats are ranked No. 9 by the Associated Press and are also rated No. 6 in the Tennessee Wrestling Federation's Matman Weekly Rankings.

"Smyrna may have thought we looked good, but I thought we looked poor. I see a lot of things we can work on. The best thing about getting a match is you can start refining those things that we need to work on. When you're working in practice, you're working on theory. But (in a match) you get that practical experience, get some feedback and see what you need to do. A lot of our guys won really sloppily."

And a few Wildcat wrestlers had to work out some kinks in winning their matches.

Clarksville's Steven Overstreet admitted he didn't come out as strong as he wanted in his 14-6 win over Brian Dedmon in the 125-pound match.

"Usually my opponent gets tired before I get tired," said Overstreet, who was down 2-0 after the first period and tied 4-4 after the second. "I know it's bad, but I kind of sit back and wait for the second and third (periods). It's bad, because letting him do that to me in the first two periods killed my neck because he was riding on me, so it was hard."

But Overstreet's stamina kicked in during the final period as he outpointed Dedmon 8-2 to take the match by the eight-point margin.

"Steven beat a good kid, and I told him I've never seen him beat a good kid," Jordan said. "Steven really did a good job. That was a pretty good kid and he was dominating (Overstreet) early on. We tried to stay out of the situations where he was dominating. ... Steven, who is normally a legger, was being legged by that guy. And we had to tell him to stay out of that leg, because he was a little better than Steven. Steven has a lot more moves and that guy only had one."

Adam Hebda found himself needing an overtime period to get past Josh Bradford at 130 pounds. But with a takedown in the extra session, Hebda came away with the 6-4 win.

Hebda said the first dual of the year helped settle him down.

"This is how everybody gets the butterflies out of their stomach," Hebda said. "I was nervous going into that match, and I'm sure every one of those guys were. But once you get the first match out of the way, you'll do a lot better during the season."

Wildcats winning by pin were Nick Gosney at 1:34.7 at 140 pounds, Sam Hebda (ranked fourth by Matman) at 1:00.2 at 160, Tyler Zilkowski at 1:32.5 at 171 and Michael Davis at 1:50.8 at Heavyweight.

Clarksville's Jim Weakley at 171, ranked fourth by Matman, won by technical fall, 20-3. Cliff Gibson won 10-4 at 135, John Dial won 4-2 at 145 and Daniel Pease won 10-6 at 152.

Winners for Clarksville by forfeit were Brandon Fergerson at 112 pounds and Brad Weakley at 119.

Jaron Norfleet at 215 was pinned. Smyrna also won at 103 by forfeit.

James D. Hornecovers prep sports for The Leaf-Chronicle and can be reached by e-mail at jameshorne@theleafchronicle.com or by phone at 245-0221

Originally published December 1, 2004

How about this from the local newspaper.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Clarksville wrestlers win big in opener vs. Smyrna

Wildcats coach not impressed with win, sees many things team can improve on

By JAMES D. HORNE

The Leaf-Chronicle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's always good to get the first wrestling dual out of the way, as ninth-ranked Clarksville did in downing Smyrna, 57-12, Tuesday night in the CHS gym.

But in being the first dual of the season, the Wildcats saw some good things — and other things that need to be worked on.

"I think you always think you are better than you are," said Clarksville coach Jeff Jordan, whose Wildcats are ranked No. 9 by the Associated Press and are also rated No. 6 in the Tennessee Wrestling Federation's Matman Weekly Rankings.

"Smyrna may have thought we looked good, but I thought we looked poor. I see a lot of things we can work on. The best thing about getting a match is you can start refining those things that we need to work on. When you're working in practice, you're working on theory. But (in a match) you get that practical experience, get some feedback and see what you need to do. A lot of our guys won really sloppily."

And a few Wildcat wrestlers had to work out some kinks in winning their matches.

Clarksville's Steven Overstreet admitted he didn't come out as strong as he wanted in his 14-6 win over Brian Dedmon in the 125-pound match.

"Usually my opponent gets tired before I get tired," said Overstreet, who was down 2-0 after the first period and tied 4-4 after the second. "I know it's bad, but I kind of sit back and wait for the second and third (periods). It's bad, because letting him do that to me in the first two periods killed my neck because he was riding on me, so it was hard."

But Overstreet's stamina kicked in during the final period as he outpointed Dedmon 8-2 to take the match by the eight-point margin.

"Steven beat a good kid, and I told him I've never seen him beat a good kid," Jordan said. "Steven really did a good job. That was a pretty good kid and he was dominating (Overstreet) early on. We tried to stay out of the situations where he was dominating. ... Steven, who is normally a legger, was being legged by that guy. And we had to tell him to stay out of that leg, because he was a little better than Steven. Steven has a lot more moves and that guy only had one."

Adam Hebda found himself needing an overtime period to get past Josh Bradford at 130 pounds. But with a takedown in the extra session, Hebda came away with the 6-4 win.

Hebda said the first dual of the year helped settle him down.

"This is how everybody gets the butterflies out of their stomach," Hebda said. "I was nervous going into that match, and I'm sure every one of those guys were. But once you get the first match out of the way, you'll do a lot better during the season."

Wildcats winning by pin were Nick Gosney at 1:34.7 at 140 pounds, Sam Hebda (ranked fourth by Matman) at 1:00.2 at 160, Tyler Zilkowski at 1:32.5 at 171 and Michael Davis at 1:50.8 at Heavyweight.

Clarksville's Jim Weakley at 171, ranked fourth by Matman, won by technical fall, 20-3. Cliff Gibson won 10-4 at 135, John Dial won 4-2 at 145 and Daniel Pease won 10-6 at 152.

Winners for Clarksville by forfeit were Brandon Fergerson at 112 pounds and Brad Weakley at 119.

Jaron Norfleet at 215 was pinned. Smyrna also won at 103 by forfeit.

James D. Hornecovers prep sports for The Leaf-Chronicle and can be reached by e-mail at jameshorne@theleafchronicle.com or by phone at 245-0221

Originally published December 1, 2004

825462396[/snapback]

Okay, maybe they have lots to improve, but Jeff's got over half his team benching over 300 pounds, including their 130 and 140 pounders. Gosh, a JV guy beat out their region champ from last February at 145 with pure muscle alone I understand. He'll hurt ya, as several will do at the upper weights!!

Very good potential once again and I understand Jeff has him a new feeder program underway,,, again.

Congrats to the purple of Montgomery County!!!

We knew what we were getting into when the match was scheduled. Smyrna made their mistakes before the wrestling began. I have some wrestlers who fight harder at the dinner table than they do on the mat. It is hard to be competitive against a team like Clarksville when you have 3 wrestlers not make weight. This is not an excuse, it is a problem that I am stating. We are dealing with this issue and it won't happen again.

We try to schedule a team like Clarksville early on to let our guys know that they are not the best and that they have a ton of work to do. Clarksville gave them that lesson last night. Clear and Simple.

Congrats to Clarksville, you guys look pretty solid.

Thanks for having us,

Coach Gonyea SHS

""And a few Wildcat wrestlers had to work out some kinks in winning their matches.

i think this was one of the more intresting matches b/c this Brian Dedmon kid is suppose to be 119 but bumped up for weght class problems...He was on matmans ones to look out for...i think he will do very well at 119 if he can stay in the run at 125 he might be pretty good at 119...this wasnt the smyrna team that was suppose to come...there are no excuses though...clarksville was the better team and we are sorry for not showing you everything we had :lol:

wrestleman, yes i am suppose to be at the 119 spot but the team needed me to step up and i didnt go out giving it my all...your right there are no excuses but i was a little bit under the weather...it will not be the same match if we meet again...i think it will be a little more physical...

Clarksville did an awsome job and they do deserve to be recognized as one of the states best...just dont under estimate the small teams....

Brian Dedmon

i was in the stands watching smyrna wrestle, and their team is alot better than last year. I thought that the 135-Dedmon vs. Gibson of Clarksville was a pretty good match. I was wondering what was going on with the points and refing, but i thought it was a good match. I think the final score on that match was 10-8. I maybe wrong. Good job wrestlers keep it up! thumb