Best coach since 2000

thatoneguy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 Championship game appearances....being the operative word.  Was he not clear in that some of those were championships?  I'm just going by what he posted....I don't know the guy.

825466032[/snapback]

My point was that Levy went 0-for-4 with the Bills in the Super Bowl, while Rankin is 1-for-4 (and likely 2-for-5 after tomorrow) in state title games since 2000, and 3-for-8 (and likely 4-for-9 after tomorrow) overall in state title games. I don't think it's fair to say those two have the "same resume" in terms of winning a big game (beyond the fact that we'd be comparing the NFL and the TSSAA).

In playing consecutively in title games, yes, one could say they have similar resumes.

Edited by rollredroll

My point was that Levy went 0-for-4 with the Bills in the Super Bowl, while Rankin is 1-for-4 (and likely 2-for-5 after tomorrow) in state title games since 2000, and 3-for-8 (and likely 4-for-9 after tomorrow) overall in state title games.  I don't think it's fair to say those two have the "same resume" in terms of winning a big game (beyond the fact that we'd be comparing the NFL and the TSSAA). 

In playing consecutively in title games, yes, one could say they have similar resumes.

825466065[/snapback]

When and if he wins #2, I'll eat some crow...until then their a lot alike (in appearances anyway).

When and if he wins #2, I'll eat some crow...until then their a lot alike (in appearances anyway).

825466073[/snapback]

You don't have to eat crow on my behalf as I'm not a Riverdale fan, but I understand what you're saying.

And I certainly have nothing against any coach (Rankin, Quarles, anyone) who a fan wants to put up as "the best"; like "Best Program in State" threads, there are plusses and minues for every candidate/team. However, I sometimes cringe at the thought that excellence and superiority, particularly when it comes to coaching, is measured in terms of perfection or near-perfection in the W column. If Rankin or Quarles went to Red Boiling Springs, which is fresh off of two 0-10 seasons, and took RBS to a 2-8 record next year, they wouldn't be getting nearly as much credit as being good coaches, even though they should be. There are too many variables in high school football (e.g., open-zoned publics playing versus non open-zoned publics, publics playing privates, strength of schedule, etc.) to say the "best" team or coach is necessarily the one with the most wins.

Edited by rollredroll

You don't have to eat crow on my behalf as I'm not a Riverdale fan, but I understand what you're saying.

And I certainly have nothing against any coach (Rankin, Quarles, anyone) who a fan wants to put up as "the best"; like "Best Program in State" threads, there are plusses and minues for every candidate/team.  However, I sometimes cringe at the thought that excellence and superiority, particularly when it comes to coaching, is measured in terms of perfection or near-perfection in the W column.  If Rankin or Quarles went to Red Boiling Springs, which is fresh off of two 0-10 seasons, and took RBS to a 2-8 record next year, they wouldn't be getting nearly as much credit as being good coaches, even though they should be.  There are too many variables in high school football (e.g., open-zoned publics playing versus non open-zoned publics, publics playing privates, strength of schedule, etc.) to say the "best" team or coach is the one with the most wins.

825466085[/snapback]

I agree. I applaud any team that thinks enuff of their coach to post him on this thread...that only means good things.

Edited by Rebelyell!!

As far as instant results go, it does not get much better than Tim Johnson at Franklin high school.  Took a team with good athletes and made them a team that wins week in and week out now.  Just call him Urban Meyer, the 'it' coach.

825466115[/snapback]

Yeah, it'll be interesting to watch franklin the next few years and see what he does with a group of his own kids...I'm sure he'll do well.

Im happy for all you guys that love maryville and all that. however, this praise about GQ........ i dont want to rain on anyones parade, but ill take tim hammontree over him ANY day. just my opinion. other than that i hope the rebs pull off another championship.

825466280[/snapback]

Yeah, you watch Tim at Rhea Co. and see how many championships he wins while GQ is at Maryville. Zero, zilch, none...you take him.

I say that with no disprespect to Tim at all. I think very highly of Tim and have fond memories of him. There is NO comparison between the two though.