Alcoa 2005 games.....

paintc

If Alcoa and Huntington end up playing again in December this thread will no doubt be brought back to life! I saw the game and here are some thoughts. Alcoa probably won the statistical battle as well as the game itself. Alcoa was able to consistently move the ball while Huntington was able to cash in on some big plays. I thought Alcoa was the better team although Huntington did have an opprotunity after taking the 15 point lead. After Alcoa cut it to one their defense settled down and they took control.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fulton will beat Alcoa because unlike the Tornadoes, Fulton can actually stop people.  Maryville will lay a Tennessee sized butt whoopin' on Alcoa simply because they are better than the Tornadoes. 

Huntingdon had NO BUSINESS losing that game to Alcoa last December. The Mustangs came from an early 20-6 deficit and took over at the end of the first half.  Weathers scored on a reverse where he flat made the Alcoa defense look foolish.  He also scored on a sweep play untouched.  He scored on a long halfback pass from Chris Donald, who scored at the end of the first half by carrying the entire Alcoa secondary into the endzone for a TD.  Huntingdon opened the second half scoring on a Weathers touchdown reception, where once again he made a defensive back for Alcoa look silly. That made it a 41-26 game in favor of the Mustangs.  On Alcoa's next possesion Feigler fumbled the ball and Huntingdon was primed to blow the game wide open.  Instead of going with what got them a big lead, which was giving the ball to Donald and Weathers, Huntingon started throwing it with Cody Crocker.  The Mustangs went 3 & outand punted the ball back over to Alcoa.  THIS IS WHERE THE MOMENTUM SHIFTED DRAMATICALLY!!!  Richeon Bell, who graduates next month, returned a punt for a TD and that pulled Alcoa to within 7.  A Logan Love touchdown run pulled Alcoa to within 1-point, but the game was not tied after the kicked missed the PAT.  Huntingdon got a nice sustaned drive going when the third quarter came to an end and they still led 41-40.  On the first play in the 4th quarter Donald was stuffed on a 4th & one.  Alcoa got the ball back and after hitting a big pass play, the Tornadoes were stopped on 4th down.  Huntingdon, still leading the game remember, turned it over again when Crocker threw a pick.  This is when Alcoa went on the eventual game winning drive.  A 13 play drive that ended with a FG that Guzzo finally made gave Alcoa a 43-41 lead with 4:22 left in the game.  Huntingdon's Cody Crocker was sacked in the endzone for a safety and another Logan Love touchdown run gave Alcoa a 52-41 victory. 

I'm confused here folks, but how was that a BLOWOUT???  Huntingdon led throughout the 2nd, 3rd, and until the 4:22 mark in the 4th quarter.  Had Mansfield not started throwing the ball and just given it to Donald and Weathers with a 41-26 lead in the 3rd, the game would have been much differently.  Instead Mr. Bell, who is not gonna be returning for Alcoa this upcoming year, returned a kick for a TD and Alcoa was let off the hook.  If Huntingdon just would have given it to Donald and Weathers and taken at least a 48-26 lead, then Alcoa would have QUIT (just like they did in the 2003 state semifinal loss to David Lipscomb). 

I'll give Alcoa credit and say that they did win the state championship, BUT they were not more impressive in doing so then were Fulton (who thumped Greenbrier) or Maryville (who held a great Melrose team to 6 points).  If Alcoa doesn't learn how to play defense soon, then it's gonna be a long and bumpy non-region schedule for the Tornadoes thumb

825647805[/snapback]

Alcoa will be better than you think. Last year this team lost to Maryville 31-18. That's a close game against Maryville. The exact same team with the exception of 2 starters will be back. They have the best chance of beating Maryville who will basically just have starters returning on the defensive line so I don't think they will be capable of putting a whoopin on Alcoa and Fulton will most likely be on the receiving end of a whoopin.

Edited by THSVikings2004

Poor poor catfish finder....do you understand the term intangibles? What are the chances that Billy Ratliffe could not only tell Tee Martin to keep his helmet on because the defense was gonna get him the ball back, but actually go out and do it too...saving TN's 1998 championship run?

Huntingdon Shmutingdon...did they lose? Their losers then. The plaque for the alternates is in the ladies room.

Alcoa wins when they shouldn't and when they should. Championship teams do that...have you not been around enough of those to know that?

Does that long, dry re-hash of yours end in huntingdon winning? NO? Then their losers. no matter how close they played it or how gallantly they played.

Hate to burst your bubble jocko....

MHS is the ONLY team with a chance against the garnet and silver. thumb

That is true, but we could be like william blount and heritage and drop maryville from our schedule because we are afraid of getting beat.  But I do understand what you are saying.  Still to have two defending state champs on your schedule within your first four games of the season is pretty impressive.

825648063[/snapback]

Wait now, I give Alcoa much respect but saying they are "Competition" for Maryville is a strech. Past 11 years Alcoa has beat Maryville one time in 2000 by one TD. Not what I would call competition.

Maryville SHOULD beat Alcoa every year w/out a doubt. If it's close or even if Alcoa wins that's a huge moral victory for them. In HS football it's hard to beat a team full of solid (not great) players. Maryville has a really solid team every year, whether they have big time play makers or not. This coming season will be a chess match between RAW athletic ability vs. solid, disciplined players from Maryville. Given the depth issue, I will always give Maryville the advantage, but it really says a LOT about Alcoa if they can win this game. Edited by p9morbid

Wait now, I give Alcoa much respect but saying they are "Competition" for Maryville is a strech.  Past 11 years Alcoa has beat Maryville one time in 2000 by one TD.  Not what I would call competition.

825649104[/snapback]

Yeah but last years score was closer than most. They done better than most 4A teams. Were the scores similar to that in past years?

I love how the alcoa fans and some of the maryville fans over look us. We didnt lose too much ourself. We lost jam(to be replaced by several younger players with loads of talent) elliot patton and mathews. There all in the secondary, but we have several talented sophmores(rogan, freeney) along with a few others who can step in and take control. The o-line returns 4 out of 5 and the defensive front 7 all come back. Fulton will be very talented and experienced. This game is going to come down to the defenses. and if i recall correctly only 1 team had over 100 yards rushing against us last year. Mr. Football himself(Roger Herndon, Greenbriar) cant say he did that along with Albert Harris of AE. The only player who can say that is the kid from Lenoir City. Lookin forward to a great game! Cya in week 3.

Well this time you'll have to stop one of the top 25 RBs in the nation (Dustin Lindsey), the best player in the state, IMO, (Brandon Warren), and the best QB in the state (Joei Fiegler) along with his two very speedy receivers Kyrus Lanxter and Brian Sommer . Good luck!!!

Well this time you'll have to stop one of the top 25 RBs in the nation (Dustin Lindsey),  the best player in the state, IMO, (Brandon Warren), and the best QB in the state (Joei Fiegler) along with his two very speedy receivers Kyrus Lanxter and Brian Sommer . Good luck!!!

825649543[/snapback]

O.K. Once and for all, how old is Dustin Lindsay.

Well this time you'll have to stop one of the top 25 RBs in the nation (Dustin Lindsey),  the best player in the state, IMO, (Brandon Warren), and the best QB in the state (Joei Fiegler) along with his two very speedy receivers Kyrus Lanxter and Brian Sommer . Good luck!!!

825649543[/snapback]

Ok Tom...................I maybe can give you Lindsey, slight reach though, and even Brandon Warren as arguable the top player in the state but you blew it big time with Fiegler. Joey had a very nice game in the state and he is a very good QB but he is not the best QB in the state, top 10 maybe.

825649543[/snapback]

Holy Cow Tom! Lindsey, Warren and Fiegler the best in the state??? NATION?????? No way. I would say two of those guys are in the top 25 no question, in TN but not in the Nation. But none of what Alcoa has is unstoppable, to include them. Not even close. Maryville stoped them pretty handly last year like many other great players they faced last year that they also stoped. Sure they are another year older and stronger but so is Maryville. This year Maryville will stop them again. They'll get some yards but not enough to put Alcoa over the top. I expect Alcoa to get to the state game again but they are not world beaters. I have great respect for the program at Alcoa and have many friends up there, but don't kid yourself Alcoa is not the top team in the state only maybe in 2A. Just how old is Linsey?

c'mon w/the Alcoa/Maryville crap. They're ESSENTIALLY both as good as the other. It will be a good game next year. Alcoa goes up and down a LOT, and next year happens to be a year where they can compete. Most years Alcoa isn't as good as Maryville, but next year....they're ESSENTIALLY as good as Maryville. Who wins the game depends on LOTS of things.

Fulton is looked over because they play in AAA. Other than 1A, it's the worst classification in the state competition wise. Fulton is definitely good, nobody is discounting that they have talent. But c'mon...they probably couldn't have beat Maryville or Alcoa last season, that's why people are overlooking them. That's not to say that Fulton might whip Alcoa's butt this season...just not "likely" to happen in the mind of someone who doesn't care about any of these 3 teams.