What's up with South Greene's coach?

LadyTigersMom

Rumor's are flying that South Greene might be in need of a new coach. Any truth to that? There have been some posts on CoachT about the internal problems and looks like Ricker is at the base of it all. Maybe someone can shed some light on it all. Authority11....bsw....are you guys still with us?

Edited by LadyTigersMom

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know much about it yet, just rumors and I understand that everything will come out in time. I hate to say much about it because it sounds like a mess and I hate it for the South Greene team. If they do have a change in coaching the new person will have an awesome team in the very near future. There are some really good kids in the feeder program which will again have them at the top.

(***JUST FOUND THIS ON A LOCAL RADIO STATION NEWS SITE IN GREENEVILLE***

Larry Ricker has submitted his letter of resignation as girls Head Basketball Coach at South Greene High School.

Greene County Director of Schools Dr. Joe Parkins confirmed receipt of the letter to Radio Greeneville News today , but would not comment further , which is customary in personel matters.

Ricker will remain at the school as a Wellness instructor.

Ricker began his coaching career at South Greene in 1984 , leading the Lady Rebels to four state championships , in 1988 , 1989 , 1991 and 1992. Ricker compiled a career record of 648 wins and 104 loses.

Quoting LadyTigersMom:

Rumor's are flying that South Greene might be in need of a new coach. Any truth to that? There have been some posts on CoachT about the internal problems and looks like Ricker is at the base of it all. Maybe someone can shed some light on it all. Authority11....bsw....are you guys still with us?

I've contacted the front office of South Greene High School. A very sweet lady transferred me to the Gym. I was "greeted" by someone who says that the coach is not there, and without prompting, added that "there's no one here who can help you." And then.... an immediate Dial Tone.

I called back, and identified myself, was transferred - you guessed it - to the same person; and yes, with the same results. Of course she WOULDN'T give her name ....before hanging up without question, again.

I've left a message with the Principal's office. I was unable to leave a call-back message with Coach Ricker. And for what it's worth, the South Greene Rebels are a very classy organization. I'm certain we'll get this resolved, SOON.

Kim Richardson

Coach Ricker has officially resigned. He will remain at the school as a wellness teacher. Nothing was mentioned about his status as football coach. This is truly a sad time for South Greene girls basketball. Coach Ricker set high standards and has had great success. This is a storied program and very tradition rich. Good luck to Coach Ricker and here is hoping that whoever carries on with this program keeps up what has been started. He will be missed but to my understanding he was his own undoing.

Coach Ricker has officially resigned. He will remain at the school as a wellness teacher. Nothing was mentioned about his status as football coach. This is truly a sad time for South Greene girls basketball. Coach Ricker set high standards and has had great success. This is a storied program and very tradition rich. Good luck to Coach Ricker and here is hoping that whoever carries on with this program keeps up what has been started. He will be missed but to my understanding he was his own undoing.

825472380[/snapback]

South Greene basketball would have continued to decline with or without Coach Ricker. He has been successful for such a long time because people like to win. Since Greeneville High School hired Lynn Burkey, Greene County parents have a kinder, gentler alternative to develop their daughter's talent. Even with the county's open enrollment policy,South Greene has lost their grip on a lot of local talent. The ability to recruit from all areas of the county will be a key factor in getting this program back on its feet. Unfortunately the county system is stretched too thin financially to hire the calliber coach it will take to restore that ability. Good luck to Coach Ricker. and the South Greene athletic program. Hope to see you back soon.

South Greene basketball would have continued to decline with or without Coach Ricker. He has been successful for such a long time because people like to win. Since Greeneville High School hired Lynn Burkey, Greene County parents have a kinder, gentler alternative to develop their daughter's talent. Even with the county's open enrollment policy,South Greene has lost their grip on a lot of local talent. The ability to recruit from all areas of the county will be a key factor in getting this program back on its feet. Unfortunately the county system is stretched too thin financially to hire the calliber coach it will take to restore that ability. Good luck to Coach Ricker. and the South Greene athletic program. Hope to see you back soon.

825474399[/snapback]

Sounds to me like Coach Ricker was "hard or demanding" of the kids and the kids they have now are soft. It is obvious from his own statements that he is doing things the same way he has for over twenty years with MUCH success. Unfortunatley the climate of kids-parents HAS changed in the last twenty years. The kids are soft and the parents are the reason why. Most of these kids have never heard the word no and have never had to work for anything in their life. Then when they are expected to put forth that effort to succeed, they don't have the character themselves to do it. There is no one else for them to blame it on, but the coach since it couldn't EVER be the kids fault. Unfortunately, it is not isolated to Greenville.

Sounds to me like Coach Ricker was "hard or demanding" of the kids and the kids they have now are soft.  It is obvious from his own statements that he is doing things the same way he has for over twenty years with MUCH success.  Unfortunatley the climate of kids-parents HAS changed in the last twenty years.  The kids are soft and the parents are the reason why.  Most of these kids have never heard the word no and have never had to work for anything in their life.  Then when they are expected to put forth that effort to succeed, they don't have the character themselves to do it. There is no one else for them to blame it on, but the coach since it couldn't EVER be the kids fault.  Unfortunately, it is not isolated to Greenville.

825474535[/snapback]

i dont know the situation at SG.......but your remark is right on about kids and parents today!