What's the best training to decrease 40 time

highschoolfbfan

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do plyometrics...ask your school's basketball coach what kind of plyometrics they do. Plyometrics is basically leg strengthening. Some things I know that you can do is to get a jump rope and tie it or have two people hold it. Stand parallel to the rope and jump over it, side to side, do this for about a minute. Then take a little rest (30 seconds or so) and lower the rope to about mid-calf and repeat the process. Also a lot of jump squats (ask your basketball coach if they have any tools to help this, at Maryville they have a large mat that increases the emphasis on the muscles. Also running track will definitely help, get in the best shape possible and increase the muscles and eat right. Traditionally plyometrics is used to increase your vertical, mine increased by about 10 inches in a matter of several months. Its just a matter of building the correct muscles.

Do plyometrics...ask your school's basketball coach what kind of plyometrics they do.  Plyometrics is basically leg strengthening.  Some things I know that you can do is to get a jump rope and tie it or have two people hold it.  Stand parallel to the rope and jump over it, side to side, do this for about a minute.  Then take a little rest (30 seconds or so) and lower the rope to about mid-calf and repeat the process.  Also a lot of jump squats (ask your basketball coach if they have any tools to help this, at Maryville they have a large mat that increases the emphasis on the muscles.  Also running track will definitely help, get in the best shape possible and increase the muscles and eat right.  Traditionally plyometrics is used to increase your vertical, mine increased by about 10 inches in a matter of several months.  Its just a matter of building the correct muscles.

825471732[/snapback]

Thanks Man, you all must be doing something right in your conditioning programs at Maryville.

Any suggestions ???

825471520[/snapback]

If you look on the internet you can find a book or tape of a program called bigger, faster, stronger. It has been used in europe for many years and really works. It is mostly plyometrics, and stretching, with some weight training. It helped lower my son's 40 time from 4.8 to 4.6 in about 6-8 months.

Plyometrics is a good way to build your strength. I worked with some high school players last off season on their 40 time. Technique is a big part of running your 40.

1st - Your stance. You need to be in more of a sprinters stance. This will allow you to get the explosion out of the box you need.

2nd - Your first 10 yards. You need to work on getting a good take off. Then you need to take approximately 6-7 strides in your first 10 yards. Have someone time you in 10 yard dashes. They need to be somewhere below 1.6 seconds.

3rd - Between your 10 yard and 30 yard marks you need to be at full speed. You need to be striding at least 2 to 2-1/2 strides every 5 yards. Every 1 second you need to be covering 10 yards.

4th - The last 10 yards is when fatique will set in. You need to keep good form, good stride length & arm pumping motion.

After you work on these steps have someone count you total strides. You need to  stride around 17-19 times in your 40 yard dash.

These are some ideas you can work on.

825472643[/snapback]

this is absolutely right. My only differing opinion is not worry TOO much about your stride. Over long periods of time, sure stride DOES play a role in speed. For instance if you were training for a 40 yard race 2 years from now you would have enough time to work on very particular aspects of your stride and make it "feel" natural over time. In the short-run, or if you're not already very fast, I would concentrate on the other things. The most important thing by FAR is the start, this is where most people lose valuable tenths of a second. Remember the fastest way between point A and point B is a straight line (the turf). The more your feet are close to the turf (as opposed to bounding) the faster you are moving forward (and not up/down). Arm strength would play a role in foot speed as well, but that's also a "form" issue and would not happen over night.

In my efforts, the best results come from a VERY good squat program along with Tom Shaw's speed training program used at Tulane University and Florida State University. The key ingredient is form. Keep the face and hands loose and really work on leg strength and tight arms to the side going from ear to pocket. The legs will only move as fast as the arms do. My favorite saying is "YOU EITHER HAVE SPEED OR YOU'RE CHASING IT." Good luck! I have the Tom Shaw program and don't mind sharing it. If interested, I can fax it. It is really detailed and tells you exactly what to do. It's a GREAT off-season program also. We use it as part of our strength program on Tuesdays and Thursdays while we lift on Monday, Wednesday and Friday using a combination of BFS and Nebraska's bulk program. I hope this helps. I am open to suggestions also if anyone has any information to share. Any help is appreciated.

I

spoke with Ed Temple the retired track coach at TSU

He coached literally dozens of sprinters and olympic champions

I asked him what is the best way to assure speed

His answer---------

Be born to 2 really fast parents!

825472898[/snapback]