Unbalanced Officiating

coachinhoops

The problem is TSSAA. The area supervisors watch this crap go on and do nothing about it. At a ballgame the only person who is not responsible for their actions is the ref. Sending tapes does no good, blackballing a ref from your game only makes them mad and you will still get them in district play.

We put on AAU tournaments in our area for our school and we have refs that we like using because we want them to let the teams play but keep it under control because most of our tournaments are playdays, getting the teams ready for substate and state. We won't let this one ref call beause he is a real jerk during regular season, so he always fouls my daughter out. Most of the time he calls all 5 fouls even when she is running point bring the ball down court against a press he will call a charge when the girl is running beside her reaching for the ball. I've sent tapes to them protesting this guy and emails. Even the other refs says he has it out for me thru my daughter.

825473937[/snapback]

Even when you do call and have the area supers come in, the refs know and call a "fair" game. But look out the next time they call aganist you, might as well count it as doomed. The Sequatchie Valley has some terrible refs and no matter what you do or say they seem to get worse. Seems the refs don't actually do it aganist the players as much as the fans. You get your fans into the game, riding the refs backs, nothing to bad, just pointing out fouls they miss and they start blowing that whistle on nit picky stuff. To much of a power trip for most, IMO.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I agree that it's a power trip for some. You can see attitude in their style of calling. Basketball is probably one of the harder games to officiate. There's alot of contact and alot of action. I've also noticed the fans are really on the officials alot more than I remembered 10-15 years ago. Tuning them out is easier said than done. I'm not gonna harp on them too much. Block/charge is in the eyes of the beholder sometimes just like the blocked shot call the earlier poster pointed out. A consistent game from start to finish is all most coaches and fans are looking for. Make the same calls in the 4th quarter that you make in the 1st.

Even when you do call and have the area supers come in, the refs know and call a "fair" game.  But look out the next time they call aganist you, might as well count it as doomed.  The Sequatchie Valley has some terrible  refs and no matter what you do or say they seem to get worse.  Seems the refs don't actually do it aganist the players as much as the fans.  You get your fans into the game, riding the refs backs, nothing to bad, just pointing out fouls they miss and they start blowing that whistle on nit picky stuff.  To much of a power trip for most, IMO.

825474761[/snapback]

I would have to agree when the fans turn the refs it makes for abad night for everyone. They need to stay consistent and i think fans would stay out of it more.I would say refs are bad in all area not just one.I also agree with one of the earlier post that a comment card should be done on all refs. If that ref gets alot of bad reviews he needs to be watched.

The greatest majority of referees work very hard, however, there is no checks and balances in place as far as being accountable to a district, region, school, etc. I've said this before, but I believe that the referees need to be evaluated by the COACHES of the schools they have served. This would foster a working relationship, instead of an adversarial one. This is done in other states very successfully. Now, as anywhere, there may be confrontations, but they tend to be left on the court that night without any long-term effects. In order to continue to call games at various levels of tournament play or to get the bigger regular season assignments, the referees must meet minimum standards as rated by the coaches. The minimum number of ratings in some states is 20, so this eliminates the "homer" mentality that could be used as an argument to my idea. As is the case with most professions, those referees that want to improve and become the best they can be will work harder to improve their ratings; it's called personal pride. Those that don't will be relegated to less important non-tournament games.

well when there is a star player on one team that everyone knows ... that player and his team will get the calls... and here is my theory and reasoning behind that... refs believe that they are making the player by callin for him and his team and it makes for good stories to tell the grandkids when old... "ahh yes i reffed that boy and his team back in the day, look at him now he is nba player, heh heh." <_<

When the refs are as bad as i seen lately something has to be done. I think if some of the coaches should go to refs day job and screw everything up then we will see how they like it.

825475125[/snapback]

Hahahaha! I love it, great idea! A rating system like that used in other states would be a good idea and I'm not sure why TSSAA hasn't incorporated something like that yet.

As is the case with most professions, those referees that want to improve and become the best they can be will work harder to improve their ratings; it's called personal pride.  Those that don't will be relegated to less important non-tournament games.

825475220[/snapback]

Demoted to JV and Freshmen games would be a better solution...Another problem is that TSSAA is more caught up in proper mechanics than referees that understand the game. Who cares if your arm is at the right angle when you call a foul, just make sure you call the fouls correctly...It is really absurd when you think about it. :lol:

I THINK THAT THE ADMINISTRATORS OF THE HOME TEAMS SHOULD BE GIVEN AN EVALUATION FORM FOR EACH OFFICIAL AND AFTER THE GAMES THEY FILL IT OUT,MAKE A COPY AND SEND IT TO THE AREA SUPERVISORS AND THE TSSAA.AFTER SO MANY BAD EVALUATIONS,THEY GET SUSPENDED 2 GAMES.THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A COACH GETS 2 T'S IN A GAME.OH AND DONT FORGET,THEY SHOULD BE FINED LIKE THE COACHES ARE.THE TSSAA IS A DICTATORSHIP.THEY WANT ALL THE MONEY,POWER ,AND CONTROL.MOST AREA SUPERVISORS ARE JUST PEOPLE WHO ARE LOOKING FOR A WAY TO GET INTO THE TSSAA BIG MONEY JOBS SOMEDAY.WEST TN REFS ARE BETTER THAN MIDDLE TN REFS BY FAR.