Unbalanced Officiating

coachinhoops

For the most part our officiating here in Middle Tennesse I think has been pretty good. I wonder if all these people having problems are having problems with new guys or is it the same refs you have had for a while. Because most of the officials we have here have been here for a while, which I think is a big plus. I do wish sometimes late in games when the game is in hand some refs would swallow the whistle. But like one ref said earlier this year, "a foul is a foul."

825476536[/snapback]

It seems to be the same refs that make bad calls every year....I haven't noticed any of the few new refs really being a factor like some of these older ones that make the same crappy calls against the same teams year in and year out.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think that TSSAA would have some sort of control over this. I have seen some very lopsided game called. The refs need to remember this is for all the kids not just one team. I think this is a good post and would like to see some more imput on this one.

825473835[/snapback]

It is unfortunate that this kind of post has to be made. But the truth must prevail. I have witnessed several HS games, in the past few yrs., where it was apparent the refs favored one team over another. This is sad! I could not agree more that people must be held accountable for their actions. To overlook this travesty in justice sends the wrong message to our kids. Do we really believe our kids are learing about life when they participate in sports? Then the TSSAA should implement a plan ASAP, to rid our wonderful state of this scandal that is totally unnecessary and repulsive. Let the boys or girls decide the outcome of the game not some power monger with a whistle between his teeth. I saw a key player foul out of a game and he was more than 15 ft. from the "crime" site. Sure we all make mistakes, but could the other two refs not correct this obvious mistake? There are many more examples.

$65 per night X 3 nights a week X 16 weeks = $3,120.  If the refs work 4 games a week then that is and extra 16 X $65 for a total of $4,160 which is definately more than alot of head coaches make.  thumb

Refs make just as much as the average coach yet the coaches are the only ones that have to be accountable.

825476521[/snapback]

Maybe the refs are under compensated. Have you received minimum wage for a job that deserved twice the pay? Did that give you the right to be lazy, incompetent or steal----NO !!! Its about character, accountability and integrity.

What do u think?

Please be patient I'm still evolving !?! c my pic.

I wouldn't say that any official favors one team over the other in any game I've ever seen. What would they gain by that? The unbalance I referred to was the consistency of making the same calls at the end of the game that is made at the beginning and I've seen a couple of refs that liked the spotlight a little more than I thought was necessary and I thought a ref was baiting a kid for a T........BUT......some of you guys are blasting refs behind a screenname for one reason. Your team lost. Believe me, the officials don't care who wins the game. They get their $65 either way. I believe they officiate for the same reasons that I umpire. It keeps you involved in the game you love and you get the best seat in the house. Other than that, you get abused by fans, coaches and players if you do blow one and sometimes when you don't. Besides the costs Illini posted, if I've got an afternoon baseball game, I have to leave my regular job early to make it........for a cut in pay. Believe me, it's not about the money.

In the 3 games I've been to this season, the refs were hounded from beginning to end by some of the parents looking for a traveling call. While I agree, some of the kids were dragging their pivot foot, there is no way the refs were gonna call it after being blasted all game long. Personally, I think it's funny when I'm behind the plate and the parents are harping about the strike zone when all they can see is the height of the ball from the first and third base bleachers. But if the complaining gets out of hand.........the strike zone gets bigger. That's human nature. The best thing the fans can do is voice their displeasure in a civil manner and let it go. Then the official might think about the call the next time down the floor.

Edited by ksgovols

Lets see where can I start. $10 per night for gas x 3 nights x 16 weeks = $ 480 . If ref works 4 games a week then that is an extra $160, 480 + 160 = 640.  2 pair of pants a year $120, one pair of shoes $110, 2 shirts $60, = $290. TSSAA fee $50, Association fee  $70, = $120. Basketball camp $175. For a grand total of $1225 that officials have to spend, using your figure of 4160 minus 1225 equals 2935. Lets take this figure divide it by game and travel hours. Lets say 3 hours for 2 games,and a average travel time both ways one hour and thirty minutes, thats 4 1/2 hours a night times  64 games equals  288 hours. So lets divide 2935 dollars by 288 hours and we get  $ 10.20 an hour. So I would say we are getting rich officiating. This does not count being away from your family.

825476574[/snapback]

I didn't say that refs were fairly compensated, I know they are underpaid as are coaches. I was using this as an accountability issue...Coaches are held accountable and officials are not end of story.

I didn't say that refs were fairly compensated, I know they are underpaid as are coaches.  I was using this as an accountability issue...Coaches are held accountable and officials are not end of story.

825476856[/snapback]

I have to disagree about this accountability issue and here's why...... Coaches are held accountable only in one area --- "sportsmanship". High school coaches are educators first and foremost ---- the basketball court is nothing more than an extension of the classroom -- period. Imagine any teacher, in any school setting, throwing the tantrums that so many of you consider to be part of 'the game of basketball' in a classroom full of our young people. Imagine a teacher berating a student (or your child) or degrading a priciple in front of the class... in front of your child.........Would that behavior be acceptable to you? Of course it wouldn't........ So why are you so disturbed that an educator is penalized for 'unsportsmanlike' behavior????

Officials, on the other hand are held accountable.......the better officials will work more games while the weaker official slowly becomes obsolete. Keep this in mind, consider how many 'terrible' officials that you watched 5 years ago that are still officiating today? They tend to work themselves out of a job, don't they?

So you want to hold the official and the coach to comparable accountability? Okay, I don't have a problem with that...... For discussion purposes let's imagine that we have an official that constantly misses the 'hand-check' foul in a game. After the game, his Supervisor suspends him for his next assignment, declaring that he used poor judgement, and didn't properly enforce the rules of the game. That would make a bunch of you happy, I know. But, in the same game the coach for school 'A' constantly ran a play that failed to score a point in 7 tries, and furthermore, he ran a man-to-man defense when everyone in the gym knew that he should have been in a 'zone'. The coach should be suspended, just like the official, for not exercising good judgement and failing to recognize the basic basketball fundamentals that every basketball coach should know. Both of these examples are truly a comparable "accountability" issue......

For the earlier post by "Illini", you have 'underestimated' the cost of travel, and therefore your bottom line is incorrect....... The cost of traveling (gas, insurance, wear and tear, etc.) is around 37.5 cents/mile (according to the American Automobile Association and the Internal Revenue Service). The 'average' official actually will clear about $5.61/hour, and it still does NOT take into account any lost wages from their full-time job which could be in the hundreds of $$$$$$$$$$$$............

The bottom line is this: be appreciative that we have coaches and officials who are willing to give up a large portion of their life, and the lives of their families, to pursue a vocation in a GAME that they so greatly love............. There will always be missed calls, missed shots, badly designed plays and poor coaching strategies....... Learn to live with it --- it's an imperfect game!

I have to disagree about this accountability issue and here's why......  Coaches are held accountable only in one area --- "sportsmanship".  High school coaches are educators first and foremost ---- the basketball court is nothing more than an extension of the classroom -- period. Imagine any teacher, in any school setting, throwing the tantrums that so many of you consider to be part of 'the game of basketball' in a classroom full of our young people.  Imagine a teacher berating a student (or your child) or degrading a priciple in front of the class... in front of your child.........Would that behavior be acceptable to you?  Of course it wouldn't........ So why are you so disturbed that an educator is penalized for 'unsportsmanlike' behavior????

Officials, on the other hand are held accountable.......the better officials will work more games while the weaker official slowly becomes obsolete. Keep this in mind, consider how many 'terrible' officials that you watched 5 years ago that are still officiating today?  They tend to work themselves out of a job, don't they?

So you want to hold the official and the coach to comparable accountability?  Okay, I don't have a problem with that......  For discussion purposes let's imagine that we have an official that constantly misses the 'hand-check' foul in a game.  After the game, his Supervisor suspends him for his next assignment, declaring that he used poor judgement, and didn't properly enforce the rules of the game.  That would make a bunch of you happy, I know.  But, in the same game the coach for school 'A' constantly ran a play that failed to score a point in 7 tries, and furthermore, he ran a man-to-man defense when everyone in the gym knew that he should have been in a 'zone'.  The coach should be suspended, just like the official, for not exercising good judgement and failing to recognize the basic basketball fundamentals that every basketball coach should know.  Both of these examples are truly a comparable "accountability" issue...... 

For the earlier post by "Illini", you have 'underestimated' the cost of travel, and therefore your bottom line is incorrect.......  The cost of traveling (gas, insurance, wear and tear, etc.) is around 37.5 cents/mile (according to the American Automobile Association and the Internal Revenue Service).  The 'average' official actually will clear about $5.61/hour, and it still does NOT take into account any lost wages from their full-time job which could be in the hundreds of $$$$$$$$$$$$............

The bottom line is this:  be appreciative that we have coaches and officials who are willing to give up a large portion of their life, and the lives of their families, to pursue a vocation in a GAME that they so greatly love............. There will always be missed calls, missed shots, badly designed plays and poor coaching strategies....... Learn to live with it --- it's an imperfect game!

825477087[/snapback]

I think you are missing the point here. What some of us are trying to get across is there are some refs out there taking control of the games and giveing it to the other team..I have been to a few games where this has happened. I dont believe one of the people on here says it happens all the time. What kind of example is this setting for the kids? The only way I see to control this is hold all refs accountable.