UNDERRATED COACHES IN H.S. BASKETBALL

carney

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I agree with RHS#1fan about Matt Miller of Richland. New coaches take different approaches. Some go to a new team and find all kinds of talent and just lets them play. If they do well, the coach is given credit. And they may deserve it. However, I have seen coaches walk into prefect situations, win the first 3 or 4 years with the outgoing coaches talent, and then the program starts declining. That is when you see the result of the new coach. A good coach goes into a perfect situation with a winning team with a history of success and he continues the tradition. However, not all teams with new coaches have won numerous state championships. Success is not measured by one season, it is properly measured over time. Miller went into Richland as a young, first-year headcoach and tried to install his system and beliefs about basketball. It has taken a while for everyone to adjust. But things are getting better. I saw players whos rolls were greatly changed, and they did not like it, that are performing at a high level. I believe the future is bright at Richland if they stay the course.

McNairy Central's Blaine Mahaffey is a definite underrated coach.  When he gets a really talented team like the Bobcats have put on the floor in the past, McNairy will win big under Mahaffey.

825484358[/snapback]

I completely agree! Mahaffey is an excellent coach on and off the floor. He is a hard worker and loves his guys. I think they all really respect him and try to give him all they've got. A win/loss record doesn't always truly reflect the value of a coach - I hope McNairy appreciates what they've got.

I agree with RHS#1fan about Matt Miller of Richland. New coaches take different approaches. Some go to a new team and find all kinds of talent and just lets them play. If they do well, the coach is given credit. And they may deserve it. However, I have seen coaches walk into prefect situations, win the first 3 or 4 years with the outgoing coaches talent, and then the program starts declining. That is when you see the result of the new coach. A good coach goes into a perfect situation with a winning team with a history of success and he continues the tradition. However, not all teams with new coaches have won numerous state championships. Success is not measured by one season, it is properly measured over time. Miller went into Richland as a young, first-year headcoach and tried to install his system and beliefs about basketball. It has taken a while for everyone to adjust. But things are getting better. I saw players whos rolls were greatly changed, and they did not like it, that are performing at a high level. I believe the future is bright at Richland if they stay the course.

825570657[/snapback]

I agree with you jamieroper... Miller will have the Raiders on the right track... You just have to have time and the players have to adjust to the new coaching style...

They do have a bright future ahead!!! thumb