All-State List

FBEmeritus

I usually don’t go negative on this side of the CoachT boards (I save that for my friends on the PLUS SIDE) but some of you are just plain showing your arrogance or ignorance on this subject. My guess is some of you are just angry because your player didn’t make it, but again… it’s not our fault! Call the DARN LIST whatever name you want, it’s still the ONLY STATE HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL COACHES ASSOCIATION IN THE DARN STATE! PERIOD! If your coach is too lazy or too busy to fill out the forms, it’s not our fault!  Still, don’t shoot down the efforts of all of these young men whose coaches cared enough to participate!

I don’t care if you like the list or not… that’s not the point. The Association has a set of rules in its charter that must be followed and they did follow those rules. Some of you are just too darn bullheaded to appreciate the fact that some coaches cared enough to show up and participate in the association. It is a private association and if you want to become a coach and join, so be it!  I’m sure any of the fine state universities or private schools would love to have you in their education programs. In a few years, find yourself a position on a high school football coaching staff, lay down your $10 bucks and you’ll have a say in who gets on the list.

For now, you have one of two choices:

1. Sit around and complain about it until Hades freezes over….

2. Write a letter to your head coach and tell him to start sending in the kid’s names next NOVEMBER and lay down the $10 to join. I’ll bet the booster club will pay for the trip if they know why he wants to go!

825486025[/snapback]

Can I hear an AMEN?!!

Edited by tamirrt

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to try to defend the Tennessee Football Coaches Association, not because I am a member, but because I get tired of hearing this crap every year from people who don't understand the process... so here goes:

1. NOT EVERY HEAD FOOTBALL COACH IN THE STATE IS A MEMBER OF THE ASSOCIATION!  Just ask them if they belong to it and see before you start complaining about the list!

2. My guess is the 10 teams playing in the Blue Cross Bowl had other things on their mind, other than voting on players. They could have faxed in their list to the association but failed to do so for whatever reason.

3. Every coach there is going to nominate and vote for his kids and the kids he knows something about. I will never vote for someone I don't know or haven't heard something about from another coach!

4. I didn't go to the meeting this year for family reasons but I know that there are hundreds of coaches who don't go, even though they belong to the organization. It is their fault if their kids don't make the team! It's not the job of every head coach or assistant coach to think of your kids and throw their name into the hat. If they get nominated by your coaches, we will vote for them, if not... OH WELL!

We went through this same thing last year and the year before that. I guess what some of you would like is for no one to make the team if your favorite boy doesn't get the credit you feel he deserves!  We are all sorry that not all the coaches participate... but we can't force them to do so!

SIDE NOTE TO COACHES:  Two years ago I went for the first time, I won a TV and a T-shirt just for showing up!  Join us as we try to make things better for high school football across the state!

I'm not mad about the negative comments but I do wish all of you who feel slighted would complain to your head coach and not to the association in general. Down the road, this organization is going to be great for our sport and for the coaches in general!

825483009[/snapback]

Can't help but put in my 2 cents:

If a player can only be eligible by having his coach nominate him, the system is flawed. I'd like to think that every coach would nominate players on his team that he deems worthy but I also think that the same coach should be able to nominate a kid that he's seen play on another team. Of course, a coach would be more familiar with his own kids but he also knows aboout other kids in his region and should be able to determine if that player is deserving as well. That's where I have a problem with the list. As much as I liked seeing as many Riverdale players on the AP list, I knew that there was a little too much representation. But it's a little hard to swallow that no one on Riverdale was on the coaches list. Unless no one from region 4 showed up.

Everyone has a little 'homer' in him and wants to see their local players get a little publicity. But how many Mr Football candidates (and winners) were left off the list?

Bottom line is those finalists, winners and state champs would not change their situations to get on the TFCA all-state list but you can't help but wonder why so many of them got left off.

I'm not mad because I wouldn't trade this past season for anything. Even a TFCA nomination or two. But you can't blame people for questioning some of the picks.

Can't help but put in my 2 cents:

If a player can only be eligible by having his coach nominate him, the system is flawed.

825486114[/snapback]

That is the way it works at the high school and college level! It's a coaches poll, not a popularity contest and not an AP poll. Look... this is the way it is in every state! This is the way it is in college. Call it a flaw if you like but how else can it be run? It's a COACHES POLL! If a coach doesn't want to participate then I can't make him do it.

AGAIN... people want to blame the system instead of the coaches who don't participate.

ONe more thing... HOW DO YOU THINK EVERY ALL REGION TEAM IS SELECTED? HEAD COACHES NOMINATE KIDS AND THEY VOTE TOGETHER ON THE TEAM! IT's the SAME THING HERE!

One more thing... this is exactly how most coaches want it. Again... it's a coaches poll made by football coaches. If your head coach doesn't care enough to do his job... welll there you have it!

Edited by ELA

That is the way it works at the high school and college level! It's a coaches poll, not a popularity contest and not an AP poll. Look... this is the way it is in every state!

825486118[/snapback]

Oh, I know how it works. And I know it's not a popularity contest. But it doesn't make it right either. If I've seen the best player I've ever seen and he's not on my team, I should be able to say "Hey, I think Joe Blow deserves to be on this team even though I'm not his coach". It doesn't sound like the TFCA allows for that.

That's all I'm saying.

Oh, I know how it works. And I know it's not a popularity contest. But it doesn't make it right either. If I've seen the best player I've ever seen and he's not on my team, I should be able to say "Hey, I think Joe Blow deserves to be on this team even though I'm not his coach". It doesn't sound like the TFCA allows for that.

That's all I'm saying.

825486124[/snapback]

I think that can be done but I don't know how many coaches would do it. Remember there's only 12 slots for each classification... Let's say, you have a real stud DB, are you going to waste your nomination on another coach's kid, afterall, you don't know if Tommy's coach is sending in his name or not? My guess is you're going to do what is best for your one kid and let each coach decide if they will do what is right for their school. This is a competitive business and when it comes time to vote, I'll vote for the best kids, but I'm not going to waste my nomination on your kid, that's your coach's job, not mine!

Maybe CoachT and iamoz can come up with a way for every PLUS MEMBER to nominate players to be voted on by plus members for an ALL COACHT TOP 100 list? What do you think?

Guest region4fan

Hey I like that idea...a Coacht list. Can I nominate already??? Stephen Luter and Sam Youree from Oakland. Both All-region and both got the team's MVP....Defensive and Offensive respectively. Also Luter got Honorable Mention All-State.

I think that can be done but I don't know how many coaches would do it. Remember there's only 12 slots for each classification... Let's say, you have a real stud DB, are you going to waste your nomination on another coach's kid, afterall, you don't know if Tommy's coach is sending in his name or not? My guess is you're going to do what is best for your one kid and let each coach decide if they will do what is right for their school. This is a competitive business and when it comes time to vote, I'll vote for the best kids, but I'm not going to waste my nomination on your kid, that's your coach's job, not mine!

Maybe CoachT and iamoz can come up with a way for every PLUS MEMBER to nominate players to be voted on by plus members for an ALL COACHT TOP 100 list?  What do you think?

825486143[/snapback]

Sounds good.

The nomination part of the deal is what I have the problem with, not the voting. Coaches will either vote with their heads or their hearts and no rule change is going to change that. But is there a limit on how many players are nominated at any one position?

What would be real interesting is knowing how many coachs were present for each division. If the 13 players represent 7 teams my bet there were only 7 schools present for the vote. Even if a coach sent his nomination by fax/mail my bet the player had a slim chance of getting voted on. An attendance record would probably show how this team came about.

Guest region4fan
And as you can see, CoachT members are going to vote with their hearts also.

Hey region4fan, how's it going?

825486175[/snapback]

I see what you are debating mpattersn. Any list without Dave Thomas on it is just mediocre.

Who would you pick?

I see what you are debating mpattersn. Any list without Dave Thomas on it is just mediocre.

Who would you pick?

825486198[/snapback]

Oh, I'm not campaigning for any particular Riverdale player, Dave or anyone else. But even you have to admit that of the final 4 teams in 5A, only 2 players fron OR got on. Does that not seem strange to anyone other than me? I guess Franklin, Germantown and Riverdale coaches had something better to do that weekend.

But I'm sure Oakland was well represented.