MJ Fresh

Mailman05

well, from a neutral observer...

i don't think it's in anyone's long-term best interest to anihilate another team just because you can.

blame it on the other team for not doing enough to slow you down or whatever, but one of these days Mt. Juliet is going to be on the other end of the butt-whipping and we'll see how they like it then

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, from a neutral observer...

i don't think it's in anyone's long-term best interest to anihilate another team just because you can.

blame it on the other team for not doing enough to slow you down or whatever, but one of these days Mt. Juliet is going to be on the other end of the butt-whipping and we'll see how they like it then

825488403[/snapback]

THEY WILL TELL THE OTHER TEAM GREAT GAME LEARN FROM THE EXPERIENCE AND LOOK FOWARD TO THE NEXT GAME. THEY WILL NOT CRY AND WHINE ABOUT HOW BAD THEY GOT BEAT. DON'T THINK THAT ANY OF THESE GIRLS HAVE NOT BEEN ON BAD TEAMS IN THE PAST. BUT THEY DIDN'T QUIT THEY WORKED HARDER TO GET BETTER.

ok JEFF B your right lets have teams just run other teams into the ground hey insted of 103-7 MJ should go for 150 next time i mean they just arnt winning by enough....Give me a break, you are showing you have no respect for the game and the way it should be played....when i played my coach would always tell me guys we win with class, and the way you win with class is by having respect for your oppenets , not everyone is going to be as talented as you nor should the be humilated by not having a God given ablity....You do not continue to run a fast pase offense when your up by a large margin anyone who knows anything about the game will agree with me on this.....I know if MJ was on the oother side of this than half of these people would agree with me....Just because you are superiour doesnt mean you destroy every team you run into....And believe me the people who truly know how to play the game those people are the ones with class and the people who think running up to score and showboating is the correct way then you just need to find another sport... give me an ok team with class any day over a great team with none :unsure:

I've been reading on and on through these points about the way "basketball is supposed to be played." In my, albiet, elementary understanding of basketball, I think the way you play is to try your best to score more points than the other team by doing two things. First, actually making shots and second, preventing the other team from doing it.

I've seen the MJ Freshmen ladies play and they made more shots than the other team. They ran an effective press during the first half in which they were actively preventing the other team from scoring. During the second half they fell back into a 2-3 zone defense which, from my observation, didn't prevent the other team from scoring. What kept the other team from scoring was the fact that they didn't make the high percentage shots they took and they kept passing the ball to the wrong team.

What we have here is a good team playing teams that aren't so good. It happens all the time in every level of sports. The good basketball teams play the way the game is supposed to be played, the bad teams don't. It's that simple. This year the Mt. Juliet freshman girls are a good team. They pass the ball. They play good individual and team defense. They rebound. They make a high percentage of their shots. They hit their free throws. Good teams do this and bad teams don't.

Next year Mt. Juliet might be a good team again, or maybe another team will step up and fill that void. An interesting experiment will be to see if that team is thrashed as MJ has been this year.

THE FACT THAT LEBANON DISMANTLED THERE TEAM TELLS ME THEY DID NOT HAVE KIDS OR A COACH THAT WAS COMMITED TO PLAYING BASKETBALL.

Hey Jeff, the Lebanon coach is a product of Mt. Juliet basketball and a very good young coach...and if you knew her daily schedule you might think a little more of her commitment level, and I would probably bet many of the MJ fans have a great deal of resepct for her. Not sure I would say anything about someone's commitment level until I knew the facts. No, most of those girls were not commited to basketball the way the MJ freshmen are and that was obvious, but I wouldn't say the coaches aren't coaching until you have been in the gym with them.

The MJ freshmen are good, very good in fact. They could probably beat several varsity teams in the state. However, there is more to it than putting up triple digit numbers every night.

Nice post JEFF B Anyone else that whats to believe the classless man himself(mailman05) come on out and see it for yourself. This is a team that gives it all with class, unlike the mailman that keeps running this in the ground. Talk about class mailman go find u some then come talk about these little girls giving it their all.

Hey Jeff, the Lebanon coach is a product of Mt. Juliet basketball and a very good young coach...and if you knew her daily schedule you might think a little more of her commitment level, and I would probably bet many of the MJ fans have a great deal of resepct for her.  Not sure I would say anything about someone's commitment level until I knew the facts.  No, most of those girls were not commited to basketball the way the MJ freshmen are and that was obvious, but I wouldn't say the coaches aren't coaching until you have been in the gym with them. 

The MJ freshmen are good, very good in fact.  They could probably beat several varsity teams in the state.  However, there is more to it than putting up triple digit numbers every night.

825488559[/snapback]

BLUEBLOODED, YOUR RIGHT I HAVE NOT MEET THE LEBANON COACH AND SHOULD NOT QUESTION HER COMMITMENT BUT I DO KNOW THAT MT. JULIET COACH OR TEAM SHOULD NOT BE BLAMED FOR LEBANON FOLDING THERE TEAM AFTER THEY PLAYED.

I ALSO DON'T UNDERSTAND IF A TEAM SCORES IN TRIPLE DIGITS WHY ITS LOOKED AT LIKE THEY ARE RUNNING UP THE SCORE. I QUESS IT DON'T LOOK AS BAD TO LOOSE 60 TO 10 AS IT DOES 100 TO 50.

I DO AGREE IT IS NOT GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP TO TRY AND SHOW UP ANOTHER TEAM THAT YOU ARE MUCH BETTER THAN. I JUST FEEL THAT MT. JULIET HAS BEEN COACHED TO GIVE YOUR BEST EFFORT EVERY MINUTE YOU ARE ON THE FLOOR. THIS IS WHY THEY PLAY HARD THE ENTIRE GAME.

I am from a small school that doesn't get this much attention, so i like reading about exciting things such as blow outs. I have never watched even the MJ's varsity play,but i just wanted to comment on this. I know some people think you have "no class" if you absolutely beat a team such as MJ's freshmen have,but honestly thats not true.If you have talent then why not show it off?! I mean be proud that you have the ability to do it,cause someday you might not ever be able 2! The coaching doesn't sound bad to me either,just because the girls are winning by a lot every game doesn't mean the coaching is classless and bad.It means that its good and that the coach needs to keep it up. And I'm not saying that the other teams were awful and should learn how to keep up with MJ.MJ could be that type of team that will beat anyone no matter who it is and if they try to play good defense or not it won't matter. MJ sounds like a really good team and should keep up the good work,bc in the future these freshmen girls might win the state championship by 100+!!!Keep it up! thumb

there's a lot of talk on here bout how its "classless" for teams to blow out their opponents and blame it on the coaches. i dont believe thats right. now what if i use a football game where a team, ill take an example say Riverdale they blow out a team 62-0 like they did this year against siegel. Now the question i ask is coach rankin classless because he blew siegel out. if the answer is no then how can u justify in saying its classless on mj to do it and not a power house such as riverdale.

It doesn't feel very good to be on the losing end of the game, but the girls do not need to quit. If you really love the game then you should try hard no matter what. It could have been an upset getting beat ,but thats all the more to go out there and try harder. I don't believe in quitting. If everytime something bad happens you don't just quit, or you would be left with nothing if you did so. If those girls really love basketball then they need to stick with it. You cannot just quit when things don't go your way. Keep giving it your all!!!! thumb thumb

Edited by polly10