HAVE OFFICIALS RUINED H.S BASKETBALL

RimRecker

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

INTERESTING POST FROM ALL.

THE FACT STILL REMAINS THAT , OFFICIALS CAN CHANGE THE DIRECTION OF A GAME.

GRANTED THERE ARE SOME GOOD OFFICIALS OUT THERE, BUT NOT ON CONSISTED BASES NO.. I KNOW THAT WERE ALL HUMAN , AND WE DO ALL MAKE MISTAKES TIME TO TIME. IT DOSE NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT BECAUSE YOU HAVE STRIPED SHIRT ON THAT YOU ARE RIGHT.

I'AM NOT DEFENDING BAD ATTITUDE PLAYERS, COACHES OR FANS. THE FACT REMAINS THAT AN OFFICIALS PLAYS OFF THE EMOTIONS OF PLAYERS, COACHES OR FANS. IF THE OFFICIAL FEELS THAT IT A NEGATIVE REACTION THEN HE OR SHE WILL DEMINSTRATE BAD JUGDEMENT. ON SEVERAL OCCASSIONS YOU'LL SEE AN OFFICIAL,

STAIR DOWN A PLAYER OR COACH, AN PRACTICALY DARE THEM TO SAY ANYTHING.

AND THEN WE WONDER ARE THEY ALL REALLY HERE FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME.!!!!!!

personally i think players just need to play and let the fans and coaches handle the refs. sometimes i think fans think they know it all, but the job is probably harder than they think. yea sometimes the refs completely stink but the players still need to play. the only time i have thought ive seen an offical "favor" a team is when a team plays out of state i.e (an Alabama team hosting a Tennessee team), and the Alabama refs try to make all the calls for them. but the most important thing in this is we all make misatkes and players,coaches, and most importantly fans need to take this into consideration at the next ball game

I don't think the problem is just officials. The TSSAA has given the officials too much power. When an official has the power to eject a coach for two games and cost the coach $250 in fines, something is wrong. Especially when there is absolutely nothing a coach can do as far as controlling an official. Let's even things up! When an official screws up, allow coaches to suspend them for two games and fine them $250. I bet things would get interesting then!

I don't think the problem is just officials.  The TSSAA has given the officials too much power.  When an official has the power to eject a coach for two games and cost the coach $250 in fines, something is wrong.  Especially when there is absolutely nothing a coach can do as far as controlling an official.  Let's even things up!  When an official screws up, allow coaches to suspend them for two games and fine them $250.  I bet things would get interesting then!

825509887[/snapback]

i would really like to see TSSAA do that, b/c then we wouldnt have refs to officate b/c then all the coaches would suspend them.

at my school (Richard Hardy), our coach is really loud with the refs and usually gets warned at least 3 times a game, but has only got 2 T's all year. he always tells the players to play through it (as all coaches should) and let him handle the situation. we had a JV game in Alabama last night and i heard the guys ask (how much did they pay the refs?) when coach heard them he chewed them out just like he did with varsity a year ago. i think that ultimately players and coaches decide a game not officals.

While there are some obviously inept refs involved with HS ball, I don't think that it's ruining the game. I think this is happening more at the MS level. The number of mistakes that are made, that sometime change the outcome of the game, is amazing. By the time the players reach HS ball, they often don't understand the rules.

Actually, I'm more concerned about bad coaches.  You know, the ones that are always making strategic mistakes during the game and not properly preparing the kids for the game.  But, this is CoachT, and I shouldn't criticize the coaches in any form -- there are no bad coaches. 

Well, I'm more concerned about bad players.  You know, the ones that are constantly missing lay-ups, taking low-percentage shots, and playing shotty defense.  Oops, this is CoachT, and I shouldn't criticize the players, they are 'kids' afterall....... and all of them are eligible for Division 1 college scholarships.....

Okay, I'm more concerned about the fans and how they can literally abuse the kids with deflamatory and sometimes profane language.  Seems like every school has at least one fan that know more about basketball and all of its shortcomings than Coach K at Duke.  My mistake, we aren't suppose to talk about that, this is CoachT afterall...

I'm more concerned about the political folks, you know the members of the school boards, or school administration, or the local 'big-wigs' that use their influence to dictate who will coach, or who will play in tonight's game.  Sorry, I didn't realize that there was an "unspoken" rule not to criticize those folks since they are always correct, afterall, this is CoachT.

Okay, I agree -- the refs have ruined high school basketball............. :huh:

825509620[/snapback]

As along as the discussion is a general one and mentions no names or specific schools then fans can criticize officials, coaches, players, etc all they want to.

I don't think the problem is just officials.  The TSSAA has given the officials too much power.  When an official has the power to eject a coach for two games and cost the coach $250 in fines, something is wrong.  Especially when there is absolutely nothing a coach can do as far as controlling an official.  Let's even things up!  When an official screws up, allow coaches to suspend them for two games and fine them $250.  I bet things would get interesting then!

825509887[/snapback]

Unfortunately officials are not accountable to much of anyone. The best officials are those who take a "back seat" and let the players play. I think that some refs are to quick to make calls, and by then its to late to retract a bad call. Some refs look to be the "center of attention". The best refs are the ones who maintain control, but you barely no they are there. Most high school refs are pretty darn good and fair these days. A few wrotten apples unfortunately leave a sour taste in most of our mouths. I say let the "kids play"

Knoxville

825509887[/snapback]

I AGREE THE TSSAA REFEREES ARE A BIG JOKE. iF COACHES COULD FINE THE GUYS IN STRIPES THEN WE WOULD HAVE BETTER OFFICIALS @ THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL. eSPECIALLY THE ONE'S IN MID-TN AREA AND KNOXVILLE RIDGE-THEY'RE HORRIBLE A BUNCH OF LOOK AT ME'S AND AND LOOK WHAT I CAN DO..........I HAVE SEEN 4 COACHES GET SCREWED THIS YR SOME REF'S COULD NOT CALL BINGO AND FOR THE RECORD I HAVE NBEEN A REF OR A COACH FOR 25 YRS. ALL OFFICIALS AND COACHES SHOULD HAVE HAD AT LEAST 4 YRS OF PLAYING BASKETBALL (KEY WORD PLAYING NOT WATCHING ON THE BENCH) BEFORE YOU CAN COACH OR CALL GAMES. FINE THE TSSAA FOR NOT HAVINGS BALLS :huh::):P

Unfortunately officials are not accountable to much of anyone. The best officials are those who take a "back seat" and let the players play. I think that some refs are to quick to make calls, and by then its to late to retract a bad call. Some refs look to be the "center of attention". The best refs are the ones who maintain control, but you barely no they are there. Most high school refs are pretty darn good and fair these days. A few wrotten apples unfortunately leave a sour taste in most of our mouths. I say let the "kids play"

Knoxville

825510080[/snapback]

Actually, if I am not mistaken (someone please correct me if so) the officials are accountable to the schools that hire them in to ref the games. Several years back I had contact TSSAA about two refs that were totally outrageous and I was told in addition to filing a written complaint, which I did, to let the school know since they pick from a pool of refs available for particular days. Then the schools have it on record and know not to accept certain refs at their home games.

As along as the discussion is a general one and mentions no names or specific schools then fans can criticize officials, coaches, players, etc all they want to.

825509974[/snapback]

Only poking a little "backward-type" pun at some of the posts, but especially at the 'topic'........ There are a lot of 'imperfections' with high school athletics, but the 'positives' easily outweigh the negatives.

I just hate to see any group (in this case - referees) crucified in a format where it only intensifies the hatred and stimulates the emotions of so many against that group....