Kenwood vs. Rossview (Results)

EJessenArmy

No harm no foul. No offense taken on my part. Thank you for clarifying your statements. I just want to be sure that people realize that our program here at Rossview puts sportsmanship above all else.

Proverbs 27 1-2

"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips.

I use this verse frequently with my wrestlers to help them handle both success and failure, and to better prepare them to be productive memebers of society when they leave our program here at Rossview.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other teams coach comes and trys to challenge the pin. Then after several minutes of talking with the Ref. and looking at rule books the Ref. determines the winner.

825509971[/snapback]

Just for the record... the winner was fully determined before the challenge took place. I don't think it was good for the sport for the referee to have to show the rule in the book to make the call. I've never seen a football official get out a book, and haven't seen a coach refuse to leave the table area/field waiting on a citation from the rule book. The coach has been around long enough to have more than a passing knowledge, and so should the official. After all, don't we require tests of officials? If they're below a certain score, they don't call much varsity, I'm sure. If the coach doesn't cite/reference a specific misapplication, he shouldn't be at the table to make the sport look confusing and outright bad. Wonder how that official has scored the past few years to have to get out a rulebook during a match? Not criticizing, just pointing out that I think our sport is best served by letting athletes compete, coaches coach, and officials officiate as best they can. Table talks seem like a big waste of time, as I don't often see changes made. Seems to me like the coaches who go to the table less often are more successful at getting adjustments when a rule is misapplied. On the other hand, I feel bad for the coach who has to endure an inexperienced or haughty official who flat misapplied a rule, but won't own up to it. It's a tricky situation, but I think it slows down the sport a great deal and makes it difficult to sit there while some problem is sorted out. Basketball, baseball, and other sports rely solely on the judgement of the official and his knowledge of the rulebook. Hence, i think the table talks should be exercised more cautiously. Just an opinion, but i think it would help our sport become more spectator friendly. (I only mention this because we had 4-6 match interruptions where the fans had to sit while one coach or another had to question the official's call.)

Anybody else got thoughts on this one?

No harm no foul.  No offense taken on my part.  Thank you for clarifying your statements.  I just want to be sure that people realize that our program here at Rossview puts sportsmanship above all else.

Proverbs 27 1-2

"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.  Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips.

I use this verse frequently with my wrestlers to help them handle both success and failure, and to better prepare them to be productive memebers of society when they leave our program here at Rossview.

825510098[/snapback]

Isn't posting the above scripture kind of like tooting your own horn, which is exactly what the verse tells one not to do. Just an observation.

No Hounddog it is not. It is just like having a quote below your name (which I notice you have) or telling someone an experience you have encountered which may help them in a time of decision. It is also an oppurtunity to witness to people. If you would like to discuss this further I would love ot face to face. You know who I am, come and find me.

Has anyone out there been to a wrestling match at the univerisity of Iowa?? Or even Chattanooga for that matter. When the match is over, neither of these teams shake the coaches hand after the match. As a matter of fact win or loose, they sprint off the mat and go to the nearest area to run sprints.

Has anyone out there been to a wrestling match at the univerisity of Iowa??  Or even Chattanooga for that matter.  When the match is over, neither of these teams shake the coaches hand after the match.  As a matter of fact win or loose, they sprint off the mat and go to the nearest area to run sprints.

825510137[/snapback]

I have and your right.

Shaking hands is not a requirement or even a sportmanship issue, in my opinion.

The ONLY issue would be if a person (wrestler in this case) extends his hand to another person (a coach in this case) and the offereing is not accepted. If you hand is not taken and shaken, then turn and walk away knowing you offerered the gesture. Game over.

just an observation.