Lady Highlanders

highlandermom

No, I am not Chelsea's mom, and I too went to SHS. I just wanted to let people on this site know, that these are just kids, and when statements are on here, like they don't think there good enough to get playing time and one school, so they go to a smaller one, these things can be hurtfull, if your child reads them. Mine does not look at this site. I like to occasionally just to see what is going on. I know from some of the previous posts that I have read that some SHS players do read these and comment on them. People should watch what they post, because a lot of times they can be very discouraging or very upsetting to the players of either school. They should be more supportive. Let's remember that we are all from the same county and should support each other.

I would imagine that you might be the Sexton girls mom, and I know that you went to SHS and I have nothing against your child or anyone elses that chose to go to Oneida. But I heard that Chelsea didn't want to go to OHS but was made to by her father but I really don't care her reasons for going, she seems to be doing a good job playing ball there and I hope she continues to play. I have heard that Oneida does offers kids playing time and starting postions if they will come to OHS , now before anyone jumps my case, I know of 2 kids for sure were told that, one was back in the 90's and she played ball and the other was just a couple of years ago he played football, and he did leave SHS and go to OHS and they didn't play him like they said they would and he came back to SHS. But it doesn't matter to me where the kids go as long as they are getting a good education and I believe OHS and SHS have awesome teachers and thats what really counts!!!!

uote=ladyndnmom,Feb 12 2005 - 11:38 AM]

Speaking as a mother of one of the "fish" who went to the smaller pond. My daughter chose to go to Oneida, because that is where her father went, and many of her cousins went there and played football. She was used to going to the games, and had many friends there from church also. After having dealt with another teenager that I am close with, and the struggle that was there to make this teenager go to school, I didn't care where she went, as long as she would go. She did not go to Oneida, because of any of the coaches at SHS or OHS, in fact she was not even going to play ball. The only reason she did was because I made her. I told her that no matter which school she went to, she had to play one year. If she didn't like it after that, then she could quit. She has many friends at SHS, and loves to go to the SHS games and support them. Since our children can get past the SHS/OHS thing, why can't the parents? Before you make judgements about their reasons for going to another school, why don't you show them the decency of asking them.

825562905[/snapback]

825563591[/snapback]

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that Oneida does offers kids playing time and starting postions if they will come to OHS , now before anyone jumps my case, I know of 2 kids for sure were told that, one was back in the 90's and she played ball and the other was just a couple of years ago he played football, and he did leave SHS and go to OHS and they didn't play him like they said they would and he came back to SHS.

825562905[/snapback]

825563591[/snapback]

Must've been hard on the boy playing football. He would've lost a year of eligibility moving from SHS to Oneida without a change of residence, and then lost another year when he moved back. I've been around Oneida athletics for for awhile, I have never heard of such a thing.Could you give us a year on when this male athlete was supposedly at Oneida?

825563591[/snapback]

Must've been hard on the boy playing football. He would've lost a year of eligibility moving from SHS to Oneida without a change of residence, and then lost another year when he moved back. I've been around Oneida athletics for for awhile, I have never heard of such a thing.Could you give us a year on when this male athlete was supposedly at Oneida?

825564564[/snapback]

......I could tell you his name and year and his parents name too but I won't because as I said earlier I regret that I even brought it up in my post, and I am going to drop it, because it is stupid to say stuff about OHS and I am very sorry that I did. My deepest apologies to anyone that read that thread and as I said before I am not going to say another bad word against OHS. I will only say this, he was eligiable because he lives in Oneida anyways, he had always been in the county system and his parents drove him to school. And I think when he came back to SHS for his Senior year after being at Oneida his Junior year, he didn't play football. I know this is true because I go to church with this boy and his family.

Good luck to OHS and SHS and I hope they always have winning seasons.

Rumor has it that Coach Kries has already been notified that he will not be back as a coach next year. I think this is pretty bad seening as how so many people were in support of him getting the job but because he didn't turn it around in one year they want to send him up the river. That's the problem with the program now...the parents won't let the coaches coach. As for playing the younger players, yes I agree there are some very talented young kids at SHS but the parents of the older players would have his head if he were to play them more. As I say again, let the coaches coach and the players play and the program would be alot better off. The parents need to go back to being spectators. Of course this isn't a new issue, this has been going on for years and years. Even back in the 90's when the Lady Highlanders were winning, people still has negative things to say about who was playing or who wasn't.

LET THE COACHES COACH AND THE PLAYERS PLAY!!!!

I still need to say that I don't think that it would really matter who the coach was this year or who the coach is next year...people would still be complaining. They still wouldn't be happy. If this website was around when Coach Sharpe and Coach Murley were together, they would have been bashed daily and they were winning. This is an area where the coaches have never been free just to coach out of fear of losing there job. No matter what they do, someone has something to say about it..or someone could do a better job. But, how long would it take until the power to coach a team was taken away by people disagreeing who once supported that individual and now wants him out of there. I am saying this as a person that was not in support of Coach Kries getting the job, but once he did I feel he deserves the chance to see what he can do with it. One year is not a chance. My reasons for not think that Coach Kries would be the #1 man for the job were not reasons on his ability as a coach but his ability to relate to players with his pychological approach to dealing with things. Not all players would have related well to his reverse pychology. But, I have to say that he has related much better than I thought. Once he got the job, he deserves the chance to see what he can do. Back to my original LET THE PLAYERS PLAY AND THE COACHES COACH.

Since our children can get past the SHS/OHS thing, why can't the parents? 

825562905[/snapback]

Let's remember that we are all from the same county and should support each other.

Two excellent statements. It would do everyone good - from Scott High and Oneida - to take heed to those comments. Unfortunately, few will.

b-ballnut, where have you heard this rumor that Coach Kries has been told he won't be back next year? I haven't heard that one yet. It probably came from the same rumor mill that spun the thread about Kries stabbing Nancy in the back to get her job last year. I very seriously doubt a decision has been made on who the coach will be next year since the current director of schools is outgoing and a replacement hasn't been named, nor has the search for a replacement begun.

I agree 1 year is not enough!....I want and am in full support of Coach Kries, I have a daughter on the team myself and I like the way Kries has coached and my daughter is not a starter either. My daughter does like Kries and respects him to the upmost but I have to say I have never tryed to get my daughter to go against anything Kries has said or any other coaches she has had in the past. This is what I tell her ...."they" are the coach and you will do what they say or quit at the end of the season!.....my opinon is that all the "mommies & daddies" need to realize that "their baby" isn't the star. I like to watch my daughter play ball very much and I am proud of her when she plays, but I have no misconception that she is some big star that deserves more playing time. If she plays great and if not then I don't freak out or throw some kinda "fit"........there are 5 players at a time on the floor, everyone isn't going to get to play and I think Kries has done a great job!!

and as far as his mind games go......well it took my daughter maybe 2 or 3 practices to figure him out, at first she didn't know how to take him at times, but like I said within 3 practices she understood him and has loved him ever since.

I agree the parents need to shut up at home and quit filling their kids head with ideas that they are not getting what they deserve, let the coaches do their job and the parents go and watch your kid and just be proud that they are on the team and not out into trouble somewhere!!!!!

I was told that the statement came for Kries himself that he was finished after this year. The person that told me this was a friend and former colleague of Kries. I really don't think that he would lie about it. As for him stabbing Nancy in the back, that is absurd. She was finished...how could that have even been brought up. I still say that he should be given more time.

The Lady Highlanders are winning but they also are not playing with any drive, desire, or intensity. The look like they are just going through the motions. I have seem every one of these ladies play throughout their careers and they played harder in junior high and even junior pro than they are now. I don't want to sound like I am critizing them...because I have seen them I know what they are capable of. There is some very talent ladies at SHS they just are playing.

Desire for the game is something that can't be done by the coach. No matter how much preparation he makes until the Lady Highlanders want it and desire it as the old saying goes "IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN" They have to dig within themselves and play with some emotion. So come on Lady Highlanders, play like you love it again. Have fun and enjoy the game.

As I said before, I don't think this can be blamed on the coach.

Edited by b-ballnut

All I can say is what goes around comes around. In the late 80's and 90's Scott Co. had tons of tall girls and beat teams by 40 and 50 points similar to what O.S. does now. Every team has a down cycle and you all are in one now. It will get better, but teams need to remember they will be down at some point when they beat teams by 40 and are still pressing the 4th quarter. Give the new guy a chance , good grief. It takes longer than 1 season to turn a team around.

As for him stabbing Nancy in the back, that is absurd.

825567209[/snapback]

I agree. Nothing against Nancy; She's a good coach who fits in well right now at the junior high level and will probably, in my opinion, be back at the high school level in the future. But I don't think that Kries had anything to do with the end of her tenure at SHS.

I agree. Nothing against Nancy; She's a good coach who fits in well right now at the junior high level and will probably, in my opinion, be back at the high school level in the future. But I don't think that Kries had anything to do with the end of her tenure at SHS.

825567436[/snapback]

I do agree Nancy does a good job at the junior high level...but I will be shocked if she gets another shot at high school. (at least at SHS that is). Nothing against her, I just don't think the people (parents) will allow it. She is probably much better off where she's at...Scott County needs good coaches in their feeder programs to continue to assist in building the high school program. And there are some good junior high coaches in the county, but there are still a few that have no idea what's going on. I know of one school in particular that has a girls coach that has never played...This can't be helping SHS (or should I say won't next year).

Back to the Lady Highlanders, last night against OS, they looked like a different team than they did the against Sunbright. They actually played, as I said before, against Sunbright, they went through the motions. See Lady Highlanders what you can do when you play with emotion, drive, desire and heart. Go SHS.