#9 Oakland v. Cookeville

Guest Oakland

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

Oakland[/url'>' date='Jan 13 2005 - 11:36 AM']i couldnt remember if cookeville had or not, so i wasnt sure. your right, it should be a good game. at cookeville has always been the 1 game that has been hard for oakland to win and imagine that will hold true for friday night as well.

im sure odom will come up with a good gameplan on defense................

825518098[/snapback]

Oakland, I think that Cookeville will get the win tonight. It will be a close game but once the refs(home cooking) get Riddle and Ashbury in foul trouble, the inside game will open up for Cookeville just like it did in the Mount Juliet game. And the only one to blame will be Grandstaff. I have had the opportunity to watch Oakland three time in the last two months and I have noticed that Riddle has not improved one bit in this time. This is the usual Grandstaff reaction to post players. If you cannot improve on your own she is not going to invest any of her time to help you improve. She has to get over this attitude and work with Riddle after practice, on the weekends etc if she expects to get anywhere in the division, sub state or state. She has a player who is 6'5" tall has good speed and some talent who could score 15 to 20 points a game but is scoring under 10. If you watch her play she has only a couple of faults that if she got rid of them, and perhaps put some time in on her shooting she would be unstoppable. Hopefully Grandstaff will wake up and take some time to develope this talent in time for the playoffs. I know what everyone thinks of Rick Insell, but you have to give the man credit, he has a system that will not only take advantage of natural talent, but he develops that talent.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Oakland
Oakland, I think that Cookeville will get the win tonight. It will be a close game but once the refs(home cooking) get Riddle and Ashbury in foul trouble, the inside game will open up for Cookeville just like it did in the Mount Juliet game. And the only one to blame will be Grandstaff. I have had the opportunity to watch Oakland three time in the last two months and I have noticed that Riddle has not improved one bit in this time. This is the usual Grandstaff reaction to post players. If you cannot improve on your own she is not going to invest any of her time to help you improve. She has to get over this attitude and work with Riddle after practice, on the weekends etc if she expects to get anywhere in the division, sub state or state. She has a player who is 6'5" tall has good speed and some talent who could score 15 to 20 points a game but is scoring under 10. If you watch her play she has only a couple of faults that if she got rid of them, and perhaps put some time in on her shooting she would be unstoppable. Hopefully Grandstaff will wake up and take some time to develope this talent in time for the playoffs. I know what everyone thinks of Rick Insell, but you have to give the man credit, he has a system that will not only take advantage of natural talent, but he develops that talent.

825519171[/snapback]

thats a big mistake assuming that oakland's offense cannot survive with asbury or riddle. it has done as much when teams have zoned them and taken our post game out of us for the large post.

your right in the fact that in the past, grandstaff has been too big on working with her post players, but i think she is more willing to work with them than in the past, asberry is the main cog of the offense when you play oakland straight up, if riddle was the #1 option then should would prolly get just as many points as ashley does.

i think riddle has improved, but a lot of the improving can be done by herself, i think the main thing that is hurting her right now is she needs to be stronger with the ball. i wouldnt base the mt. juliet game on how oakland will do if their post players arent playing up to par because oakland has plenty enough shooters to hurt you(almader,davis and johnson.) McCleary has struggled offensively this year but has countered that by playing some very solid defense.

outside of mt. juliet, this team will rise to the challenge once again playing a tough team. i know its at their game and its a place that grandstaff hasnt been able to win too many games but i think we will pull one out tonight. Oakland by 7

Oakland[/url'>' date='Jan 14 2005 - 10:23 AM']thats a big mistake assuming that oakland's offense cannot survive with asbury or riddle. it has done as much when teams have zoned them and taken our post game out of us for the large post.

your right in the fact that in the past, grandstaff has been too big on working with her post players, but i think she is more willing to work with them than in the past, asberry is the main cog of the offense when you play oakland straight up, if riddle was the #1 option then should would prolly get just as many points as ashley does.

i think riddle has improved, but a lot of the improving can be done by herself, i think the main thing that is hurting her right now is she needs to be stronger with the ball. i wouldnt base the mt. juliet game on how oakland will do if their post players arent playing up to par because oakland has plenty enough shooters to hurt you(almader,davis and johnson.) McCleary has struggled offensively this year but has countered that by playing some very solid defense.

outside of mt. juliet, this team will rise to the challenge once again playing a tough team. i know its at their game and its a place that grandstaff hasnt been able to win too many games but i think we will pull one out tonight. Oakland by 7

not talking about the offense. defense. if you remember the mtj game, either riddel or asbury was sitting the bench for big minutes during the game. whenever they were, the inside game opened up for mtj,causing oakland to sag more on defense giving the outside shooter a better look at the basket. on offense for oakland if you don't have a big inside threat, the other team's defense can come out to pressure the ball on the perimeter. If i were playing Oakland, i would take the ball to the basket right over riddle and asbury until i get enough fouls on them to get them on the bench, then I have a chance of making a run in the paint. As far as riddle improving, she needs some good one on one time with someone who will help her with her foot work, shooting stance, and blocking off the defense when shooting. These are things that a player needs to have point out to them and then practiced. These are not something that she can work on herself she needs a coach to work with her. unless grandstaff takes the time she is going to come up short at playoff time and so will Oakland because any coach watching film on Oakland will see how much the game changes when either riddle or asbury are off the floor and right now riddle doesn't have the offense to make up for asbury not being on the floor.

Mindy Odom is a good enough coach that she has watched film and she will exploit this weakness and therefore i say cookeville will win with either riddle or asbury or both watching from the bench.

Guest Oakland

825519431[/snapback]

asberry and riddle dont foul out much so they will be in the game at the end and im almost willing to guarantee that.

saying your gonna get oakland in trouble by driving in the paint and actually doing it are 2 different things. columbia and sparta tried to do things similar of what you are talking about and both failed. you talk of odom making adjustments, well im sure grandstaff will as well.

this is a special oakland team that has great senior leadership and i thik they will pull through tonight, although it certainly wont be easy

Guest Oakland
This was another typical Cookeville- Oakland game. This game was decided in the last few seconds as some have been in the past. Great game played by both teams. Good luck to both teams the rest of the season. Should be another good one when they meet in a few weeks at Oakland.

825520298[/snapback]

as always, i feel fortunate to have gotten out of that place with a win. the girls showed a lot of heart and class(something some of cookeville's students didnt have) in willing their way to victory tonight. good win girls!

Guest Oakland
Oakland

saw in the papers that Oakland won by 6. I was wrong. one thing that i was righ about was fouls, asbury fouled out and riddle was held to 5 point. what i was saying in my earlier posts is that grandstaff has to work on  ashbury to keep her from fouling, she needs to realize that a basket by the other team will not kill her and her being in the game is more important (this goes for riddle two) and someone needs to help riddle develop her skills till she is in doulble figures every game. if oakland wants to make a serious run at the state championship, someone on the coaching staff needs to put in some extra time with riddle and some of the other girls because regular practice is not getting it done.

good luck

825521699[/snapback]

you may have been right to an extent about the fouls, but i also said that other girls would step up in her absence and so they did. riddle's 3 fouls were complete bs and all cases where she just stuck her hands straight up. while you make a valid point about asberry and her fouls, its that same all or nothing attitude that makes her a good player as well, 1st time she has fouled out this year, so it wont happen too many times. wont face many defenses better than cookeville