AA MR.BASKETBALL

Thegrimleaper

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon yall lay off on the guy. Im sure he's never talked to Tyler before so he has no right talkin about "thug like antics" but im pretty sure i know where he got this from. All the talk in the past about Smith not bein motivated enough naturally leads to stereotypin him as a thug. Trust me we have had plenty of athletes in Bolivar that let there talent go to waste because all they cared about was gettin high on the weekends...a couple on last years team. Normally if you dont care enough about the game to give it 100% every night its because you rather be doin somethin else off the court. Tyler obviously is more determined now cause he is averaging just over 27 a game with limited playin time due to the blowout games. Bottom line...Him and Willie are both great players but this is Tylers year so just get over it. 2 years from now we will all be pullin for the same team if Willie signs with UT...which is where he is leanin towards now.

I have to agree with catfish that at times Tyler's acts on the court are far below his talent level and take away (for only me personally) from his superior game. I say this b/c i have watched him taunt opposing coaches and players instead of just acting like he has scored a bucket before and getting back on D. Everyone knows how good he is but does he need to carry on in such a way? Anyway UT will be perfect for this type of behavior on the court. I do however wish him the best of luck in life.

Guest catfish-hunter
I have to agree with catfish that at times Tyler's acts on the court are far below his talent level and take away (for only me personally) from his superior game.  I say this b/c i have watched him taunt opposing coaches and players instead of just acting like he has scored a bucket before and getting back on D.  Everyone knows how good he is but does he need to carry on in such a way?  Anyway UT will be perfect for this type of behavior on the court.  I do however wish him the best of luck in life.

825523754[/snapback]

Thanks CR4!!! The Giles Co.-Cheatham game in last year's regional tourney would be a great example of Tyler's behavior getting him into some trouble. His bad attitude caused him to pick up a technical foul in that game, which was the main reason for his fouling out of a game that wound up being alot closer than it should have been. Another example would be the Giles Co.-Lewis Co. game from last month. Tyler and the boys were up by 40-points and were about to be pulled from the game. Instead of taking a seat, Tyler felt it would be best to add a little insult to injury. He decided to wave off Holt when he tried to pull him from the game just so that he could dunk on a bunch of Lewis Co. freshmen. That's is a real mature thing to do by both the coach and the superstar of the Giles County Bobcats. The Tennessee Volunteers men's basketball program is a JOKE and I will go ahead and tell you all that if Tyler does decide to play at UT, then it won't be under the direction of Buzz Peterson. After losing a home game to UTC and losing the home game to Nebraska the way that they did, anything short of a tourney bid or an NIT win or two will result in his termination. Tyler has a wealth of talent, hands down, but if he goes to UT then he will not get the opportunity to play in the NCAA Tournament. THAT IS A PROMISE!!! Sycamore's Logan Pierce does not play at an SEC school, but I promise you that he will play in more NCAA Tournament games than will Tyler Smith or any other UT men's basketball player in the next four years. THAT IS ALSO A PROMISE!!!

willyp, I have figured it out. Catfish is jealous because of his short coming(if you know what i mean.)  He wish he had the talent of a lets say Rico or Tsmith but he doesnt.  So he is just trying to make light becasue he has some insecurity issues that he needs to deal with.  You are sad man or girl. I pick the ladder. :lol: Im sure you have some girlish playing about ablitiies. Maybe I need to make it plain!! STOP HATING  thumb

825523075[/snapback]

Tcross, I have to agree with you about Catfish being jealous,but he's also mad and frustrated. You have to understand that every year Tyler and company walks through 10aa. Tyler makes Catfish so mad that he even talks about his own team(5'0 pizza face white boys). Let's try to show Catfish a little more compassion. He's had to deal with this the past two years and this year will be the third. Catfish stay strong. That's 4 Real!!!

Brewer won big games and carried a team with ZERO talent to the Sectionals last year.  Tyler played with talented guys last year such as Shay Shannon and Channing Coffey (not to mention Givens and Morris) yet his team was gone the same night as was Portland.  Giles without Tyler would still win 9AA, but Portland without Brewer is horrible (just look at the Panthers overall record). 

Look at football this past season bobcat93.  Greenbrier's Roger Herndon actually had lesser numbers during the regular season than did Page's Josh McMurray, yet Greenbrier's winning the big games is what was the difference in Herndon being the Mr. Football back as oppose to Page's McMurray.

825519629[/snapback]

I don't think the issue is as much about winning the big games as it is about being there before and having the recognition. Herndon being a finalist the year before, having even better numbers the second year, AND being on a successful team is the difference. Herndon actually had more yards the year before when someone else won the award.

Guest catfish-hunter
Herndon actually had more yards the year before when someone else won the award.

825524883[/snapback]

That is what I've been saying all along NoDoubt. The Mr. Basketball Award (just like the Mr. Football Awards) is not based on statistics alone. It is true that you do have to put up some quality numbers, but more important you must do it in the biggest games. The guy who wins the award must also WIN those big games. Yes Tyler has a state championship ring, but two years ago should have no bearing on who wins the award in '05. With another game against both Columbia Central and Brentwood Academy, as well as two big district matchups with the Page Patriots, Tyler will get his chance to prove that he truly deserves the award. My vote right now still goes to Bolivar's Willie Kemp based on the fact that in the Tigers last five games they are 4-1. The five teams that they played are Raleigh-Egypt, Humboldt, Haywood, Liberty, and Fayette-Ware, all of whom are arguably top ten teams in AA basketball. If you think that it gets any easier for Willie then you are wrong because tonight Bolivar plays a pretty loaded Jackson North Side basketball team, that will be one of the final eight AAA teams in the 'Borocome March. Tyler Smith's record in the big games this season is a whopping 3-2, which in my opinion just isn't good enough for a Mr. Basketball winner.

What happens if Tyler Smith's Giles County Bobcats lose in the district title game to Page or lose in the regional tourney to a team like Waverly??? Furthermore, what if that loss in the regional tourney comes prior to the championship game (which means that Giles County would be eliminated)??? I ain't saying that Giles has to win it all for Tyler to win the Mr. Basketball award, but I am saying that anything less than a state tounament bid (especially with the type of talented players on Giles County's baketball team) just isn't good enough for that kind of recognization. Tyler's case is not even close to Corey Brewer last season leading a team full of nobodys to the sub-state, because outside of Channing Coffey might be the second best player in the entire district (and he is on Tyler's team).

"RECOGNIZATION???" Well well well, where were you on that one Mr. English Major?

So are you really saying that Giles vs. Page is one of your "Big Games?" If so, then I really have lost all respect for you! Maybe you guys in 10aa have problems with Page, but around Giles Co., Page just really isn't a problem! They're simply considered another easy W on the schedule!

I'm sorry if you think that the Mr. Basketball voters are going to go to your "Big Wins" in order to make this decision! THEY AREN'T! Tyler simply deserves the award more than any other player in the state, and he will win it! Willie will have his year, but its not going to be this one.

Outside of Tyler and Channing, name another solid starter for Giles. Sure, every night another player seems to step up, but no one (outside of Tyler and Steve) plays consistently solid. My point is, two players don't make a team! Sure, Giles will rape the district and region, but someone else (preferrably a guard) needs to become a consistent player to do big things! I think this will eventually happen during the district and region tournaments, just as it did last year, and the year before. Tyler scores half the total points night in and night out, WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT HIM TO DO??

CROWN THE BIRDMAN!

LEBRON WHO?