summertown vs perry co

pantherman

i dont think this game will be even close, i think summertown overtalents the vikings with leader brittney lovett leading them. it will be a good 1 on 1 matchup between lovett and edney and weatherly and scott. but what will not be a good matchup is the coaching, coach willard from summertown will make lee look like a janitor trying to coach basketball.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lady Vikings will have the 2 best players in the gym that night on their side in Weatherly and Edney and they will be playing on their home court. However, this is where the advantages stop for Perry County. Summertown will out coach, out hustle, and out run the Lady Vikings. The Lady Vikings are explosive on the offensive end but often they lack in defense and hustle. Alot of the time you won't see them on the floor after the loose balls or making the hustle plays. They also tend to get lazy with their defense and rebounding at times. I believe the players feel like they can be less aggressive on defense because their offense is so potent. For example, the Lady Vikings used that dynamic offense to jump out to a 13-1 lead on Wayne County on Friday night. However, a few loose balls picked up by Wayne County and some sloppy defense by Perry County let the Lady Cats right back in it. Why Perry County didn't just go ahead and put them away, I don't know? (I'm not taking anything away from the play of Wayne County as they are always tough and extremely well coached but with Perry County's talent they should have won this game easily). I listened to the remaining part of the 3rd quarter on the radio before I lost reception with what I believe was a 10 point lead for the Lady Vikings going into the 4th. I figured the Lady Vikings would finally put them away, but to my surprise (well not really) on the Tennessean website, they let the Lady Cats right back in it and went on to barely win it by only 4.

In contrast, Summertown is completely the opposite. They are running down every ball and they play in your face defense the entire game. They don't give other teams a break because they aren't satisfied with beating teams by 1 or 2 points, but would rather beat them by about 20 - 30. They are better coached in that Willard does not ever let them slack off or not give 100%. They are deeper then Perry County, but I don't think they are more talented. They do, however, have alot more heart then the Lady Vikings do (or at least they have shown it more). Their offense is solid though not as explosive as PC's in that they don't have players such as Edney and Weatherly who can beat you all by themselves. However, they play extremely good team ball. They handle the ball well and move it around extremely good. They are strong from the outside and slightly above average inside. They will kill you in transition if you let them and if PC gets into a running game with them, the Lady Vikings will probably end up losing.

With all that said, I feel Perry County's talent and Summertown's hustle should pretty much cancel each other out. I am a firm believer that a team lacking in big talent can make up for it, and them some, in hustle and defense. If the Lady Vikings come into this game thinking that their offense will carry them then the Lady Eagles are going to fly right by them. If Perry County comes to play on both ends of the court and for the entire game (which I haven't truly seen yet in the 3 or 4 times I've seen them play live this year) then they will win this ballgame as they should. Perry County needs to start getting themselves in state championship form now and this game would be a good one to start with (I think Summertown may be about as good as they are going to get this year). Despite how critical I have been towards the Lady Vikings, my gut is telling me that they might just wake up Tuesday night and realize that they could easily be the best team in Tennessee in 1A if they started playing ball like they did in the Regional Tournament, Sub-State, and State Tournament last season. So, I'm going with the Lady Vikings by 3, but it won't be a surprise to me if Summertown ends up winning it.

Edited by ptguard12

ptguard12, i think you are wrong on noone from summertown being able to beat a team with just 1 player.brittany lovett could score 25 a night on anyone if she had to.you say perry co is more talented, i say how. talant is the team not just 1or2 people.summertown has a more talented team top to bottom.if edney or weatherly played on summertown they would not put up the numbers they do in perry co. in phil"s system no one has a chance to put those numbers up.the starters play less time then any other starters in the district.i"ve also seen where endey and weatherly would have 20 or more points in games they blow people out . i think pc coach leaves these 2 in way to long when the game is all but over. i wonder why??????????????? this would never happen in summertown.i think both would averge around 12 to 15 agame on this summertown team. one more ?. summertown will play anybody anytime,pc i think plays teams they know they can beat outside the district.i think they would do better playing better teams outside the district. peaceout

summertown will play anybody anytime,pc i think plays teams they know they can beat outside the district.i think they would do better playing better teams  outside the district. peaceout

825534004[/snapback]

I will agree with you on one thing and one thing only. Perry County should play tougher teams outside of their district schedule, but I've said that all along. I've never denied that Summertown doesn't have the tougher of the two schedules, because that much is obvious. For you to say that if Weatherly or Edney was on Summertown's squad that they would only get 12 - 15 points per game is very laughable. Williard would be getting the ball in their hands everytime down the floor just as Perry County does. He would love to have those two on his team right now, because with their abilities and his coaching, that's a guaranteed state championship. Weatherly dropped 36 on Summertown at Summertown with their starting point guard out and Edney in foul trouble for the entire ball game. Perry County stayed in that game for 3 quarters because of her ability to take over. Would Lovett be able to do that if you took Long and Franks out of the picture (who are the next 2 best players on that team in my opinion)? I think not. True talent shines when adversity is thrown their way, and thusfar, with the loss of Robbins (people don't realize how big of a loss this was), Weatherly's 2 game suspension (brought on herself), and Rhodes' injury, no one in the district has had more bumps in the road then the Lady Vikings. Despite all of this, this will be a good game to see and may the best team win. I will be happy so long as no one gets hurt, the refs let them play, and we get to see one heck of a ballgame.

i dont think this game will be even close, i think summertown overtalents the vikings with leader brittney lovett leading them.  it will be a good 1 on 1 matchup between lovett and edney and weatherly and scott.  but what will not be a good matchup is the coaching, coach willard from summertown will make lee look like a janitor trying to coach basketball.

825532226[/snapback]

I have heard comments about Lee not being a good coach. I thought he has done a pretty good job.. I could be wrong though.. Why do people think that Willard with out coach him..????????