Coach of the Year

HarpethWrestler171

The coach for Franklin Road  Academy--- -Marc Taylor----------should be in the mix for this award.

FRA ( 300 students) won the A/AA state Dual Championship beating Springfield ( 900 students) in the finals.

FRA  also won the Region 6 Championship this past weekend ---------all schools, large and small----------with Overton and McGavock, two of Region 6's largest schools, finishing second and third.  FRA is sending 10 wrestlers to State ( two region champs, four 2nds,  two 3rds and two 4ths).  Overton is sending 8 and McGavock 6.

Taylor was also named Region 6 Coach of the Year for the second year in a row.

825564387[/snapback]

Yep, That's strong!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, That's strong!

825564394[/snapback]

Rigger:

Your guy over there at Greenback seems to have done a pretty decent job of taking that team from nowhere in 4 years to the state duals. Should he be in the mix with FRA's Taylor as well. ? You named the Karns and Farragut coaches in an earlier post but not Greenback.

And while we are at it, maybe we should have a small school coach of the year and a large school coach of the year now that they have added small school duals.

Rigger:

Your guy over there at Greenback seems to have done a pretty decent job of taking that team from nowhere in 4 years to the state duals.  Should he be in the mix with FRA's Taylor as well. ?  You named the Karns and Farragut coaches in an earlier post but not Greenback.

And while we are at it, maybe we should have a small school coach of the year and a large school coach of the year now that they have added small school duals.

825564870[/snapback]

Well since I'm a W Knoxville guy. I have to pull for my side of town. I'm a fan of the GB program and would agree with the program coming out of nowhere. They did a great job at the State Duals and their team had a chamce to beat FRA.

They are a good dual team but their team did not do as well at the individual region compared to FRA. Of course compared to FRA being a prep school, Greenback is truly a rural Country School at the Foothills of the Smokey’s. The GB coach had a lot more to over come than a FRA program.

Other words they both deserve in different ways.

Congrats on FRA on winning their Region

My pitch for our coach's is that in their 1st year they produced 7 state Qualifiers, 3

State finalist and 1 state Champ. After a regular season with 6 major injuries to those 7 qualifiers and not winning enough matches to compete for the Regional Dual Championship.

This year they have 2 kids ranked #1 and 8 kids going to State. Not bad for 2nd year coaches and College Kids.

[

My pitch for our coach's is that in their 1st year they produced 7 state Qualifiers, 3

State finalist and 1 state Champ. After a regular season with 6 major injuries to those 7 qualifiers and not winning enough matches to compete for the Regional Dual Championship.

This year they have 2 kids ranked #1 and 8 kids going to State. Not bad for 2nd year coaches and College Kids.

825565421[/snapback]

Rigger,

Last year Farragut had 8 go to state and you forgot to mention that they also placed 4th at state the best finish ever.

[

825565421[/snapback]

Rigger,

Last year Farragut had 8 go to state and you forgot to mention that they also placed 4th at state the best finish ever.

825565492[/snapback]

I didn't want to brag! ;):D thumb Help my memory!

Abby

Mountain

Dix

Turner

Blankenship

Knox

Reviez

?

Edited by rigger101

It's a little early to be talking coach of the year, but since it came up, it seems the criteria ought to include both the individual state tournament finish and the ability to build a duals team.

Under those criteria, how can anyone other than Franklin or Bradley in D1 be considered ?

The new coach at Bradley lost 9 seniors, 5 state champs, and 9 total state medalists from last year. And yet, they only lost the state duals crown this year by one point !?!

That's the combined effort of a great feeder system, supportive parents and a great head coach !

Laxton has got to be one of the lead candidates !

And the coach at Franklin - wow !

They have a total of 6 returning state medalists, plus Kirn. They won state duals and will likely win the state individual tournament this weekend .

All the other wannabes, forget it - those two are the only ones in the running for statewide coach of the year !

My criteria for coach of the year would be just a LITTLE BIT different.

1. Which team has made the most improvement from one year to the next? ie...Glencliff, Ravenwood.

2. What does the coach have to work with? Is he working with kids whose father and grandfather wrestled or that has 3 older brothers who wrestled or is he working with kids who don't know what a wrestling mat is until they get to 9th or 10th grade.

It does not necessarily make you a great coach when you take over a team that has kids moving into the starting line up who have been wrestling since they were in their diapers and you win with them. Heck, Bradley's JV from last year could have probably finished in the top 5 in the state.

I'm not saying that Laxton is not a great coach. He obviously is or he would not have been recruited to take over for Logsdon. I am just saying that there is a heck of a lot more than winning chapionships that goes into being a great coach.

Rigger,

825565492[/snapback]

I didn't want to brag! :D:D thumb Help my memory!

Abby

Mountain

Dix

Turner

Blankenship

Knox

Reviez

?

825565523[/snapback]

145 Ryan Farinella