Cutting players

sonbelt

I was wondering if anyone else has the problem we do at our school. Our athletic director has told our basketball coach that he may not cut anyone from the team. Therefore, if you are a freshmen or sophomore and there are girls ahead of you such as juniors or seniors, but not as good they will make the varsity team over you and you will have to play freshmen or JV ball. Does anyone else have this problem and what would you do?

Edited by sonbelt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why some administrators direct coaches to do things is beyond me. Familiar with another situation where an administrator told the coach to "uncut" a player no a body definately not a player. The other coach there wouldn't cut a player, the players cut themselves if they didn't meet certain conditioning requirements necessary to obtain a practice uniform and no one was allowed on the floor without a practice uniform. So until you met the conditioning requirements, you couldn't be in the gym so on and so forth. If you challenged the coach to meet the conditioning requirements and won... you got the practice uniform then had to do certain things to get a jv uniform which were harder because you were also counted as missing all the previous days. The administrator couldn't do anything at this point because it was in the players hands. The coach felt if the players wanted it bad enough to meet his requirements they at least deserved the practice jersies and he still had controll over who dressed out for varsity.

I was wondering if anyone else has the problem we do at our school.  Our athletic director has told our basketball coach that he may not cut anyone from the team.  Therefore, if you are a freshmen or sophomore and there are girls ahead of you such as juniors or seniors, but not as good they will make the varsity team over you and you will have to play freshmen or JV ball.  Does anyone else have this problem and what would you do?

825539354[/snapback]

There is an example of an athletic director who has no clue about his job.....leave the coaching duties to the coaches. A lot of egos in high school sports.......

The biggest problem is that our athletic director is also our head football coach and his daughter is a junior who plays basketball. We also won the state championship in football so going to the school board is out! He has been here forever! Would you switch schools if it were you and you were better as a freshman than the starting varsity players?

Edited by sonbelt

The biggest problem is that our athletic director is also our head football coach and his daughter is a junior who plays basketball. We also won the state championship in football so going to the school board is out! He has been here forever! Would you switch schools if it were you and you were better as a freshman than the starting varsity players?

825539915[/snapback]

[/quote

I would encourage every boy and girl in the school to go out for football next year and demand practice time and uniforms. Give him the choice between fairness and title nine. That might force your administration to put his "rec ball" butt in his place.

The biggest problem is that our athletic director is also our head football coach and his daughter is a junior who plays basketball.  We also won the state championship in football so going to the school board is out!  He has been here forever!  Would you switch schools if it were you and you were better as a freshman than the starting varsity players?

825539915[/snapback]

There is no guarantee that switching schools will fix the problem is there???

I have a problem with a couple of the suggestions:

1) Don't threaten to leave for another program to get your way. If you're unhappy and can sit out the transfer year or get a waiver from the transfer rule, knock yourself out. Life is not always fair. Deal with it or do something about it. Whining to the school board should get you nothing, state championship or not. Unless the head coach is brand new, you knew what the team rules were when you tried out. That would have been the time to transfer.

2) Don't threaten title IX. It's just cutting off your nose to spite your face. Without the revenue generated by a state championship caliber football program, the other programs would suffer I guarantee. I don't think most football programs prohibit girls from playing football anyway. I've seen them on the field in every level.

Aside from hazing, paying your dues in high school sports builds character. My old high school was a 3 year school anyhow. Freshmen couldn't even try out for the teams. I do like the scenario where every player earns a practice jersey, then a jv jersey and so on.

I agree with you in regard to paying your dues in one way but in another way doesn't real life need to be modeled here? Failure to perform at a job as well as another person means you don't get the promotion. I think that kids today expect everything to be given to them and that is not how life works. Those who work hard and earn it are the ones who succeed. I agree that life isn't always fair. The kid who puts in the extra time and hours at the gym deserves honor not just because you are the oldest, but because they worked for it. I am not talking about Title 9 or complaining to the school board. I only want to know how coaches and other people seriously involved in basketball feel about this issue and then our family will quietly make our decision whether or not to transfer.

I agree with you in regard to paying your dues in one way but in another way doesn't real life need to be modeled here?  Failure to perform at a job as well as another person means you don't get the promotion.  I think that kids today expect everything to be given to them and that is not how life works.  Those who work hard and earn it are the ones who succeed.  I agree that life isn't always fair.  The kid who puts in the extra time and hours at the gym deserves honor not just because you are the oldest, but because they worked for it.  I am not talking about Title 9 or complaining to the school board.  I only want to know how coaches and other people seriously involved in basketball feel about this issue and then our family will quietly make our decision whether or not to transfer.

825544142[/snapback]

Well said.

We have the similar thing where I have been but it was because this person Dad and Mom were somebody or that they were born in the community. Some Coaches and HS Admin. work the good old boy rules. I beleive the best player is the one that needs to be on the court. You earn it at practice not at brith or who your family is.

sonbelt if I were you I would move. If your kid is capable of playing, I would not deny them of the opportunity because of politics or a goofy ad. People in power or control do not always do what is best for the group as a whole. Many times they are looking for whats best for them and their family. Players will earn their way if given a fair opportunity. Coaches tend to be close minded when it comes to their agenda, especially when it comes to their child. Egos, Egos, Egos! :(