MLK @ Greenbrier

Yankees Are #1

Come now, from what I saw both team had their hands full and had a hard time even getting near the basket, but MLK DID NOT "cruise"...that's all hype. You said yourself that Greenbrier came within 1 point of MLK, and the final score was a 4 point win. "Cruise"??? What game were you watching? The one where your fans were swaying and pointing at the scoreboard? I was watching the one where your coach thinks he belongs ON the court with the refs. A four point win, not a "blowout" and not even close to what many predicted.

And not to get into racial stuff (again), but before you accuse or "call a foul", think about this. IF your fans had a sign that said something about "put down the dream to state" toward Greenbrier, it would have been taken as "put down the dream to state"....not some racial jab. Though sometimes misconstrued to fit the readers mood, sometimes words are JUST words....with no hidden meaning.

Edited by GreenbrierCat2

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I came out of the "hood" and into the country just to see MLK shine again and come out with the W.  35-31.  The Royals came into Bobcat Country seeking this win to "clinch-- knock on wood" the 8AA regular season title.  MLK's defense early on and both teams poor shooting lead to an 11-10 halftime score.  But the second half was all MLK once leading by as much as 8 they crusied for the third and most of the fourth.  A couple easy layups allowed the Bobcats to come back within one, but with the Royals in the bonus and looking good at the line there was nothing Greenbirer could do.

As the whole Doc sitiuation goes, you all simply played into his hands by making such a huge deal out of it.  Even with all the "drama" you put behind it, you still took the loss.  Oh and by the way, I would like to say that Greenbirer's fan base was a real "class act".  I mean I am all for you shouting what you want at players, but when you go as far as to make a sign that reads "Put down the dream" making refrences to race and Dr. Martin Luther King, you cross the line.  I guess that you can talk all you want about Doc saying what he said, but can't step up and show class yourselves. 

See you in the "hood" for the tournament, LOOKING TO GO THE BIG 3-0 VS. THE BOBCATS...

BIG BEN

825547552[/snapback]

Young Benjamin,

Cruise is what your team did against Macon and Portland. Hang on for dear life is what your 6th ranked team did last night against Greenbrier. Give your team credit for hitting 14 FT's to Greenbrier's 1 and winning by 5. Once again, it was a great game bewteen two good teams. It would be great to see these two teams play again in the tourney.

Congratulations to the Royals for winning the regular season title. It looks like the battle for second will be heating up the next couple of weeks. Look out for a dangerous Springfield team.

I think most people who follow 8-AA know where the tourney is. The question still remains the same....Where will everybody sit....and park?

Good luck to MLK and Greenbrier the rest of the way. You gave the crowd their monies worth last night.

And Benjamin.....next time....read the signs!

I thought the sign said.."Put down the dream of state..."

And I saw classless acts from both sides some... not necessarily from MLK's students, but from their adults....

825547639[/snapback]

I'd guess that there was enough complaining to the board after Doc's last little rant that he had his had slapped. He acted remotely normal last night. He even shook hands after the game.

Cruising? I don't think so. Giving up an 8 point lead in the last few minutes is struggling.

It was hilarious watching what I'm guessing was two of the mothers from MLK when they were standing against the rail and dancing. One of them kept pointing to the scoreboard and swaying back and forth.

I didn't see the signs but I did count 27 people in the stands on MLKs side during the girls game. It was a few more during the boys game but I guess this was due to the girls team being there. I didn't see any problems with MLKs students at all.

Edited by NoDoubt

Well, I was one of the first people to see the signs when they were brought into the game and when I read them, I figured it out pretty quick that it was talking about "I have a dream" and "shoot down MLK's dream" not the dream of going to state. I'll agree with BigBen, they were intended to be a comment about MLK Jr.'s dream, but nothing any worse than anything said a week before.

I also don't think either team was very classless, then again I can't see the visitor's fans that much from the bench but what I did see they were just doing normal things. Maybe a little dancing but maybe they were just hyped up.

NoDoubt, Doc still didn't shake hands with the team. He talked to GB's coach for about 1 min. while the teams were shaking hands and then tried to walk off to the locker room. The only GB players hands that were shaken by Doc were the players that chased him down after the game and asked him to shake their hand. If that didn't happen, I imagine he wouldn't have shaken any GB players hands.

This game was a good one all the way to the end and was no shutout or cruise but a hardfaught, defensive game.

You all are still buying right into Doc's antics. The next time you all play, MLK will blow you out of the gym. You have let him get into your head. Greenbrier and Springfield is the only teams that can match up with MLK because Springfield is as athletically as good as MLK and Greenbrier has the size up front to match MLK but I know that Greenbrier won't be beating MLK because you've let Doc get to you. He has already gotten out of you what he wants, your mind away from the game and towards him. He has played these games for so long with so many other teams and they all fall into his trap. Maybe you will learn that you aren't playing Doc and what he does, your playing against Lee, Smith, and the rest of the gang.

You all are still buying right into Doc's antics. The next time you all play, MLK will blow you out of the gym. You have let him get into your head. Greenbrier and Springfield is the only teams that can match up with MLK because Springfield is as athletically as good as MLK and Greenbrier has the size up front to match MLK but I know that Greenbrier won't be beating MLK because you've let Doc get to you. He has already gotten out of you what he wants, your mind away from the game and towards him. He has played these games for so long with so many other teams and they all fall into his trap. Maybe you will learn that you aren't playing Doc and what he does, your playing against Lee, Smith, and the rest of the gang.

825549507[/snapback]

Tennisguy,

Maybe you'll learn that the people posting in this thread aren't playing Doc or Lee or Smith. WE'RE NOT PLAYERS!!! You're discussion is with FANS on a message board. There's only 1 player on here posting and I don't think his play is going to change because of anything James Shelton does. I'll say again that Doc is not in anyone's head. But, even if he was in our heads like you say, how is that going to affect Greenbrier's play on the floor? Just because WE comment about his actions on here doesn't mean that MLK is going to blow Greenbrier away. WE'RE NOT PLAYERS!!!

I enjoyed the Greenbrier fans getting INTO the game Tuesday night. The students fanbase is growing and they were standing up and supporting the basketball teams just like they do the football team. The cheerleaders coming up off the floor into the crowd helped get the crowd into it. It's hard to hear them on the floor (but obviously they can't do somersaults upstairs :D )