Morristown East - Cosby

PTSportsWriter

Cosby led by as many as 17 early on, with Todd Jenkins scoring 22 (yes, thats correct) first quarter points, with 5 3-pointers....

Morristown East Battled back however, and grabbed a 5-6 point lead late on several occasions, only to see Cosby battle back each time.

Game went to overtime, with East up 4 with 2:15 to go.....only to see Dexter Manning bust two trey's to give Cosby back the lead. With the game tied, Cosby turned it over agaisnt the press; East scored, and then Cosby traveled with a chance to tie or win....

Jenkins hit a 3 at the horn to make the final 80-79...

I really wonder what Cosby has left for the Defending Champions tomorrow, if anything?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game and saw this classic first hand it was truly one of the most exciting games i have ever seen. Todd Jenkins was on fire in the first half and hit some key late baskets. It was amazing to see East come back from the 17 pt deficit they were faced with. Chase Goins played well as did Cory Shaw Kent Basile and Daniel Dedrick for the Canes. The second half was a scoring fanaza. When the game went into overtime Kent Basile hit many key baskets and free throws that kept East in control of the overtime period which they finally prevailed in. Glad to see Shane Short and Jerry Miller and Jeffrey Rose come of the bench and play well. Good Luck to the Canes against Cherokee on Friday.

What a game....A great effort by The Eagles but they fell a little short.

Sssshhhhh. :unsure: Todd's a secret. Everybody thinks all they have to do is stop

Manning & Blakely and you stop The Eagle offense. On any given night a number

of players could step up and perform like Todd did tonight. However, that 1st quarter by Jenkins was one of if not the most impressive performance by a

Cosby Eagle ever. (And I've seen a few games). How do you like our Sophmore??

I hope The Eagle Coaching Staff can point out all the good things they did tonight

as a team and individually and not just mark it down as a tough loss.

The Eagles (and The Eagle Faithful) will be ready for the visiting team tom. night.

But even if they're tanks aren't completely full, the game that matters most is Friday night vs cak. cak is better be ready

Another win by The Cosby JV and Lady Eagles tonight....

Morristown East vs Cosby a classic.  Hummmm,  Maybe Morristown would be better suited for a classic with Science Hill, D-B, TN High or even just another AAA team.  I guess not, they have classics with Cosby, West Greene, Hancock Co. and Rutledge. thumb

825546080[/snapback]

Don't under estimate Cosby. They are as good as any team out there. They proved it tonight. I say both games were classics and very exciting endings. Jenkins put on a shooting show in the first quarter like I have never seen anywhere. He is destined to greatness if he keeps that up. Rutledge has had some great teams in the past as well.

I was at the game and saw this classic first hand it was truly one of the most exciting games i have ever seen.  Todd Jenkins was on fire in the first half and hit some key late baskets. It was amazing to see East come back from the 17 pt deficit they were faced with.  Chase Goins played well as did Cory Shaw Kent Basile and Daniel Dedrick for the Canes.  The second half was a scoring fanaza.  When the game went into overtime Kent Basile hit many key baskets and free throws that kept East in control of the overtime period which they finally prevailed in. Glad to see Shane Short and Jerry Miller and Jeffrey Rose come of the bench and play well.  Good Luck to the Canes against Cherokee on Friday.

825545962[/snapback]

Rose was impressive in the time he played considering he has not played much. He obviously played aggressive defense (fouled out), which is what East needs in the post. He will be a great one soon. Jerry Harris was good as usual and Shane Short filled in well at guard and point. Jarret could use some playing time as well, especially if he gets aggressive.

Edited by BlMed

Morristown East vs Cosby a classic.  Hummmm,  Maybe Morristown would be better suited for a classic with Science Hill, D-B, TN High or even just another AAA team.  I guess not, they have classics with Cosby, West Greene, Hancock Co. and Rutledge. thumb

825546080[/snapback]

Get your facts STRAIGHT a classic with West Greene and Rutledge and Hancock Co.? Heres the facts for you since you cant read. WIN 71-39 over Rutledge, WIN 72-42 over Hancock Co.,WIN 80-44 over West Greene. Those where some real classics. thumb

kcbub, I think you missed the point......He's saying that Mo East(AAA) beating single A Cosby is nothing to write home about. Cosby is usually solid, but they are a small school that should not be able to compete with a big school like Mo East... it's called sarcasm.......

825546555[/snapback]

chill, you beat me to it by a minute or two. True I think it was a bit of sarcasm. When Decker took over at East the DB's, Science Hills, and Tn high's were dropped to rebuild the program. It's rebuilt, and time to play the big boys. He is doing his team no favor for tourny time by playing some of the afore mentioned teams. Cosby for 1A however is quite good and from their perspective it would be a feather in their cap to beat a 3A team on their home floor.

It was however a very exciting game regardless of classification.

Edited by no kiddin

Cosby led by as many as 17 early on, with Todd Jenkins scoring 22 (yes, thats correct) first quarter points, with 5 3-pointers....

Morristown East Battled back however, and grabbed a 5-6 point lead late on several occasions, only to see Cosby battle back each time.

Game went to overtime, with East up 4 with 2:15 to go.....only to see Dexter Manning bust two trey's to give Cosby back the lead. With the game tied, Cosby turned it over agaisnt the press; East scored, and then Cosby traveled with a chance to tie or win....

Jenkins hit a 3 at the horn to make the final 80-79...

I really wonder what Cosby has left for the Defending Champions tomorrow, if anything?

825545915[/snapback]

From article in the Citizen Tribune 2-1-05

'Canes rally from 17 down to clip Cosby in OT; Lady Eagles snatch away victory

The District 2-AAA Morristown East Hurricanes rallied from a 17-point first quarter deficit to nip the District 3-A Cosby Eagles on Monday in a classic prep basketball game at Isenberg-Siler Gymnasium.

Sophomore standout Kent Basile fired in all 10 of the East High points in the extra period in a hard-fought 80-79 win over Cosby, a perennial Class A state power located in Cocke County. The Lady 'Canes weren't as fortunate, leading after three quarters before falling 59-53.

The boys match-up had all the intensity and excitement of post-season play. East overcame an electric first quarter performance by Cosby sophomore guard Todd Jenkins in taking the narrow victory. Jenkins' first quarter was one for the ages, 22 points in the opening stanza alone (7-of-7 from the field, including 5-of-5 from three-point range, and 3-of-3 at the free throw line).

Morristown East is now 16-6 for the season and Cosby falls to 13-7.

The visitors used Jenkins' sharp-shooting to grab a lead as large as 26-9 in the opening period but the Hurricanes narrowed their deficit to two at the half, 38-36, as Cory Shaw fired in a pair of 3-pointers in the second quarter.

The first 'Canes lead came at the 4:25 mark of the third quarter on another Shaw trey, 46-45, but East then lost the services of Daniel Deaderick for extended minutes as he picked up his fourth personal foul with 3:25 left in the third. Morristown East built a lead of 57-51 entering the fourth but this one was far from over.

Cosby eventually grabbed the lead back, 65-64 on a Scott Walker three-point bomb with 3:40 remaining in regulation, setting the stage for a tight finish. With two minutes left, Chase Goins, a sparkplug at the point throughout the contest, came up with a key steal and hoop to pull East to within a point, 67-66.

The 'Canes hopes looked to be dwindling moments later, however, as Deaderick was forced to leave for the night, picking up his fifth personal on a double foul call which also involved Jenkins.

With their hopes hanging by a thread, the Hurricanes, trailing 70-68, managed to salvage a possession after an offensive rebound with just ticks remaining, calling timeout with 15.7 seconds left. A Basile scoop shot then forced OT with just nine seconds remaining.

In the extra period, East built a 74-70 lead but the Eagles' Dexter Manning turned the game around with back-to-back clutch 3-pointers, making it 76-74 Cosby with just 55 seconds left. Basile followed by tying the game, 76-76, at the 40 second mark.

The Eagles attempted to set up for the potential game-winning shot but the East defense forced a turnover with Basile then converting a pair of free throws with just 12.6 seconds remaining.

After another turnover, Basile tossed in two more from the charity stripe, rendering a Jenkins three-point shot at the buzzer meaningless.

"Kent really stepped it up in the overtime and our guys were looking for him," East head coach Calvin Decker said after the battle.

"That game definitely had tournament atmosphere; that was a great game and I'm proud of the way our kids whittled into their lead and kept their composure," he continued.

Cosby head coach Brad Flatford was also pleased with his team's effort. "That first quarter by Todd was unreal and we fed off him and I feel really good about how hard our team played against such a well-coached and strong defensive team."

"I hope we have something left for (defending Class A state champion) Unaka on Tuesday."

Basile led East with 21 points while Shaw poured in 16, Goins 13, and Dustin Farthing 10. Basile also grabbed eight rebounds.

For Cosby, Jenkins finished with 35 points (with seven treys) and All-State candidate Timmy Blakely collected a double-double with 24 points and 10 rebounds. Manning, after a scoreless first half, put in 12 points, (all on 3-pointers).

Edited by BlMed