Weight Class ideas

DAL

You guys make sound like football players don't come out because there is not enough weight classes for them. Most don't even know the weight classes. They don't come out because their teammates tell them its gay or because they know its too hard or because of the "tights".

Here is the way I see it: As a football player, you are the big man on campus. If you go out and wrestle, you take a chance of losing that image by getting your butt spanked by possible a smaller or less muscular guy. Many players don't want to take that chance.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the idea of combining the two lower weights as suggested by EMich.  Seems like we are seeing a lot of teams struggling there and a number of forfeits.

I like the middle weights the way that they are.  I think that  125-145 is an area where there are a lot of  kids that you should be able to get out who maybe are undersized for football/basketball but want to particpate in a physical sport and the groupings mean that kids in that area don't have to drop too much weight to go down a weight class.

I would spread the upper weights out just a tad.

I agree with the comments that we should not alter our weights to get more football players to come out.  I  think the real problem today is not so much the weight classes as it is football coaches, specialization  and the god-awful length of  the high school football season today. The season is  way too long, kids want ( in some case have) to concentrate on it  year round and not play other sports and, unlike in times past, a lot of football coaches don't want their kids to wrestle ( which is stupid, but that is a whole topic in and of itself).  But I also think that there needs to be another upper weight class if nothing else for safety.  It is crazy, and sometimes a little scary, to send a kid who weighs 220-225 pounds out on the mat against  some 275 pound behemoth.  I think this drives away a lot of kids in that weight range who would like to wrestle but see it as futile.  So, I would  add a weight class between 215 and 275. 

My 14 classes would be as follows:

108, 117, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 152, 162,  175, 190,  220,  242, 275 ( or maybe 280).

825547155[/snapback]

Most footballs players quit after few weeks anyway to tough for them leave the light wgts.the way theyare .Maybe add 250 and make 275-unlimited

It is great to hear a football coach wants his players to wrestle. They would certainly be better players if they did.

The only weight a good team should have trouble filling may be 105 and the upper weights where the football coach interferes. A good team should be having wrestle offs in its lower weight classes. With more future champion programs there will probably be even more lower and middle weight guys.