Robbery in Brainerd

Loose End

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stinks to be the owls, question for all the owls fans, if the game had went to ot would you guys had won the game? and i agree if i was a ref unless a kick or a fist was thrown i would have let the clock run out just to watch high school ot basketball.

825548109[/snapback]

There were several things that contributed to this loss. I agree the game was given to Brainerd by the officials. With a 4 pt lead they called a goaltending when nobody on the floor was even above the rim cutting the lead to 2. This was after Brainerd had missed 6 free throws, guess they figured if Brainerd can't score then they will do it for them. Indepth was very accurate in his description of the final play. At the VERY WORST it could have been called a jump ball and gave possession to whoever had the arrow but should NEVER have made a foul call to all but hand Brainerd the game.

All of that being said however Ooltewah really blew it in the last 1:14 seconds.

All you have to do is run the clock and go to the FT line however....First they turned the ball over on the STUPID inbounds call. Then Dribble the length of the floor and promptly throw up a 3 pointer killing all of 5 seconds off the clock. Then get the ball back (the game now tied) and take an out of control drive to the basket. I also believe that one of the final possesions that Brandon Took a 3 point shot with 2 players in his face and CW and CF standing alone on the left side.

I wonder how this team would be with Chris Foster (who sees the floor better, passes better and understands the game better than BB) was at Point Guard. Move BB to 2, CW to 3 , Westbrook and Porter at 4 and 5 with murray coming off the bench with the big sophmore for relief. hmm... Could be interesting..

I honestly don't know how Robert High can look himself in the mirror after stealing a game like that and then make comment in the paper as well. But Steven Hargis summed it all up when he said 43 fouls and 27 in the 4th quarter this wasn't a basketball game it was an officating exhibition. I will tell you what those officials could give the catholic church lessons as far as abusing young men is concerned.

There were several things that contributed to this loss.  I agree the game was given to Brainerd by the officials.  With a 4 pt lead they called a goaltending when nobody on the floor was even above the rim cutting the lead to 2.  This was after Brainerd had missed 6 free throws, guess they figured if Brainerd can't score then they will do it for them.  Indepth was very accurate in his description of the final play.  At the VERY WORST it could have been called a jump ball and gave possession to whoever had the arrow but should NEVER have made a foul call to all but hand Brainerd the game.

All of that being said however Ooltewah really blew it in the last 1:14 seconds.

All you have to do is run the clock and go to the FT line however....First they turned the ball over on the STUPID inbounds call.  Then Dribble the length of the floor and promptly throw up a 3 pointer killing all of 5 seconds off the clock.  Then get the ball back (the game now tied) and take an out of control drive to the basket.  I also believe that one of the final possesions that Brandon Took a 3 point shot with 2 players in his face and CW and CF standing alone on the left side.

I wonder how this team would be with Chris Foster (who sees the floor better, passes better and understands the game better than BB) was at Point Guard.  Move BB to 2, CW to 3 , Westbrook and Porter at 4 and 5 with murray coming off the bench with the big sophmore for relief.  hmm... Could be interesting..

I honestly don't know how Robert High can look himself in the mirror after stealing a game like that and then make comment in the paper as well.  But Steven Hargis summed it all up when he said 43 fouls and 27 in the 4th quarter this wasn't a basketball game it was an officating exhibition.  I will tell you what those officials could give the catholic church lessons as far as abusing young men is concerned.

825548136[/snapback]

I agree with you and I think that this just might give Ooltewah enough motivations to come out and beat Brainerd in the tournament, knowing that not only did they blow the game at the end, but as well had the officials give it away in the last second literally.

Delron.. You commented on the Owls moving Foster to the point. I don't think this team would be better with him at the point for two reasons. 1) He is not quick enough to play the point gaurd position like Brandon Brown is. He might be able to see the floor better, but most of the entry passes into the post are from the wings where he is now and not at the point position. 2) He is one of their best shooters. If you put him at point then you are taking away alot of his open looks. 3) They need Murray in the starting rotation because he is arguably their best shooter. Last night was just a sample of what he did last year at the JV level and even the varsity level when he came in the game. When he is knocking shots down like last night, the opposing team can't concentrate on the Post players of Foster on the other wing and have to recognize Murray. And I think Murray has finally found his groove.

Ooltewah had plenty of chances to win that ball game. 1) With about 1.30 left on the clock Foster shoots a wide open three of a screen that would have put them up by 7 and ultiamately decided the ball game. 2) With a minite to go if White knocks down the two free throws Ooltewah goes up by 6 and Brainerd starts fouling and Ooltewah knocks them down. 3) The inbounds pass on the press that was just thrown the length of the court was just a gift to Brainerd for 2 points which cut the lead to 2. 4) And Finally if Brandon Brown nails that floater from 5 ft. which he normally does, they win the game. But you have to remember they count as much in the first quarter as they do in the last. Plenty of chances to win last night.

Edited by InDepthInsider

Well said by everybody. Ooltewah made some stupid mistakes that definitely let Brainerd back in. As for who would win in OT, it would be hard to say. Ooltewah had both of its centers foul out and would be playing with three forwards, though White was having their way with them. It would have probably come down the FTs the way the refs were calling it.

That's another thing that upsets me, as was stated, all Ooltewah had to do was slow the game down and they could easily outscore them from the FT line. For some reason Brainerd was doing terrible from the charity stripe, and weren't hitting their outside shots either, and am disappointed we couldn't capitalize on it. There will be a next time, however, and things will be different.

Well said by everybody. Ooltewah made some stupid mistakes that definitely let Brainerd back in. As for who would win in OT, it would be hard to say. Ooltewah had both of its centers foul out and would be playing with three forwards, though White was having their way with them. It would have probably come down the FTs the way the refs were calling it.

That's another thing that upsets me, as was stated, all Ooltewah had to do was slow the game down and they could easily outscore them from the FT line. For some reason Brainerd was doing terrible from the charity stripe, and weren't hitting their outside shots either, and am disappointed we couldn't capitalize on it. There will be a next time, however, and things will be different.

825548538[/snapback]

I really think the biggest weakness of Ooltewah's team is a very weak secondary break and non existant stall game.

You need both to win the big games most of the time.

The only gripe I have with the Ooltewah fans is officiating is never an issue unless the calls go against Ooltewah. The rest of us are "just making excuses". You guys bash the rest of us when we complain of other games in which one team gets 5 free throw opportunities and the other team gets 29. I watched the Soddy/Ooltewah game and Ooltewah had 38 free throws against Soddy's 12. Even though Soddy played poorly that night, the officiating really took its toll on the Trojans. Ooltewah could be agressive and Soddy was getting the whistle at every move. I have seen the same thing happen with the Lions this year and more than once. We are all getting some very poor officiating and what angers me the most is their inconsistency. It is like anything goes for a while, then they call anything and everything, and like many complaints, only one way. I saw one game where a player was called for 2 fouls and he was on the bench both times. POOR!!

The Trojans are next.... This will be a huge game for both Soddy Daisy and Ooltewah. If Ooltewah beats Soddy it will almost garuntee them to be in the 2 vs. 3 game where if Soddy wins and then Ooltewah loses to Red Bank Soddy will then enter the 2 vs. 3. game. I think that Soddy Daisy will give Ooltewah a tough game, and I think Ooltewah will struggle after the let down of the Brainerd game.

I heard from different people that aren't Ooltewah fans that it was a horrible call last night and they got "screwed." Well the only thing they can do is beat them next time. But will there be a next time?....Or will Ooltewah let down before they get a chance to play them again.

The only gripe I have with the Ooltewah fans is officiating is never an issue unless the calls go against Ooltewah. The rest of us are "just making excuses". You guys bash the rest of us when we complain of other games in which one team gets 5 free throw opportunities and the other team gets 29. I watched the Soddy/Ooltewah game and Ooltewah had 38 free throws against Soddy's 12. Even though Soddy played poorly that night, the officiating really took its toll on the Trojans. Ooltewah could be agressive and Soddy was getting the whistle at every move. I have seen the same thing happen with the Lions this year and more than once. We are all getting some very poor officiating and what angers me the most is their inconsistency. It is like anything goes for a while, then they call anything and everything, and like many complaints, only one way. I saw one game where a player was called for 2 fouls and he was on the bench both times. POOR!!

825548889[/snapback]

Like I said in my first post, I know that many people will get on here and say that the Ooltewah fans, and even those who aren't really Ooltewah fans like myself, are just making excuses about the game. If you weren't at the game then you didn't see what happend and know how the game ended.

LionHeart - I am not talking about games that you saw tht were poorly officiated, but how many games have you seen where a ref calls a foul (ona loose ball) with 1 second to go that ultimately decideds the game. You just don't see that, it is unheard of and that is why this was being made into such a big deal, no excuses just an unbelievable call. Because like Myself and everyone else has said, Ooltewah had plenty of chances before the final call to win the game.

Like I said in my first post, I know that many people will get on here and say that the Ooltewah fans, and even those who aren't really Ooltewah fans like myself, are just making excuses about the game. If you weren't at the game then you didn't see what happend and know how the game ended.

LionHeart - I am not talking about games that you saw tht were poorly officiated, but how many games have you seen where a ref calls a foul (ona loose ball) with 1 second to go that ultimately decideds the game. You just don't see that, it is unheard of and that is why this was being made into such a big deal, no excuses just an unbelievable call. Because like Myself and everyone else has said, Ooltewah had plenty of chances before the final call to win the game.

825548920[/snapback]

Its too bad that TSSAA officials have no oversight or supervision to prevent calls like this from happening. At the very least that official should have been suspending from calling anymore games. It doesn't matter the sport and part of basketball is still winning WITH bad officiating however the officials should never take it upon themselves to change the outcome of a game with 1 second left.

825548920[/snapback]

I believe his point was that most of the ooltewah fans on here will bash someone for complaining about poor officiating (whether they won the game or not), then turn right around and do the same thing. We all know that the officiating is absolutely horrible! So when someone else says the ref's were horrible, please don't try and bash them and say they are making excuses. The reason other people don't do that to ya'll is b/c we actually understand that the officiating is terrible. But i do agree, they should not have determined the outcome.