Basketball movies

WishIWasABaller

Just something new. List good basketball movies here. I've listed mostly highschool basketball movies or movies about high school players going to college since this is a high school forum. But you can take your own angle on it. I'm just mainly looking for cool basketball movies( no matter how obscure) that I may have forgotten or not known about. I'm also interested in seeing any that have good moves or tricks in them. Here are a few that come to mind for me.

Hoosiers - "The" basketball movie

Above the Rim - probably the movie that influenced Allen Iverson, haha. It's about a high school basketball player that wants to go to Georgetown. It shows high school games as well as the players competing in a summer tournament. There are lots of moves and tricks in this one. It has Tupac playing..a gangster, Bernie mac as a bum and Marlon Wayans providing some great comedic relief.

He Got Game - high school phenom is being recruited by colleges. His dad from prison is let out on probation by the governor of the state to persuade him to go to the governors favorite school in exchange for his dad's freedom.

Blue Chips - about college Basketball with Shaquille O'Neal, Penny Hardaway, Bob Cousey. And a ton of cameos Larry Bird, Rick Patino, Bobby Knight, Dick Vitale, Jerry Tarkanian etc...

Hoop Dreams - the movie follows two high school boys as they struggle to become college players. Isaiah Thomas, Dick Vitale, Spike Lee, Chris Webber, Rick Patino, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard and more appear in it.

One on One - a little hokey. But for some reason I always kinda liked this one. I think it's the whole struggle and beating the odds thing. It's about a little scrawny kid who was a star in highschool. He gets a college scholarship and arrives at the college and doesn't appear to be all they thought he was. And he has to compete against all these hulks. The coach asks him to revoke his scholarship and gets the bigger players to bully him and try to get him to quit. The coach will never give him any playing time but he finally gets his shot when someone goes down and there's no one else to put in.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One on One starred Robby Benson. Also, Fast Break with Gabe Kaplan and Bernard King, while about a college team, is equally entertaining. The Fish that saved Pittsburg starring among others Dr. J is REALLY hokey, but still a basketball movie. Obviously, there is also Love and Basketball and White Men Can't Jump. There are several others that are more obscure.

It is called "Pistol". It is pretty average. I have a VHS copy. Don't think it made DVD yet. If you really want to see what Pistol Pete was all about, there is a video that is advertised in some of the "coaching video" flyers that we get all the time that is actually old game tape clips of the Pistol in action. He was "and 1" before there was such a thing. He left us way too soon. Go to www.hoopsking.com and look under videos.

Edited by bigchief