Wrestling in college

dentdoc09

What are the advantages to wrestling in college? What does the "student athlete" gain from it? It's a whole new level of committment. Should they be there to focus on school or wrestling? Afterall, there's only one level after college and very few are good enough even to be considered for the Olympics. What do you think?

Come on....Don't be shy! :)

Edited by dentdoc09

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamil Kelley was never a high school state champion. He was never a NCAA all-american. What he did become is an Olympic silver medalist. He does believe that his college days are a big part of his later in life success.

Student=athletes get the opportunity to represent their college, possible get scholarships and get to continue on with their wrestling careers beyond high school.

One definite advantage/disadvantage of being an college athlete is the eligibility requirement. Me personally, if it wasn't for wrestling in college I may not have made it so far. In my freshman year, I got so caught up in college life that i didn't do so well academically. After the first semester of partying and slacking I found out that i had fallen behind on the requirement and I was on track to lose my eligibility. The 24 hour rule (you have to pass 24 hours per year to stay eligible in the NCAA), almost bit me and was actually one of the kickers to make me buckle down. If it wasn't for the fact of wanting to stay on the team, and wanting to stay eligible, I may have just quit trying.

Its about the love of the sport. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat...wait was that the motto of the Wide World of Sports...Yep. Guess that is why wrestling is a wide world event. Has been going on forever and with wrestlers mentality, it will continue to go on and on and on.

Why do it? It teaches you to get back up when your down, struggle thru all the distractions, recover from the injuries and seek to complete what you start.

Yes wrestling college does take an undisclosed amount of time especially in college, where as sports in general are like jobs. I you dont go to practice you get your scholarships cut. H.S. you dont feel like going you make an excuse and the coach usually gets over it. College your a grown man and required atleast to make grown up decisions. It makes you make a commitment and stick to it, the sticktuitness---prepares you for life when you must buckle down and make things work for you and you family.

It gives the wsatisfaction of knowing you continued on doing what you enjoy and makes you happy for as long as you can. Athletes work harder than just students i believe due to all the extra work load they put on themsleves not to mention if they have families.

Try wrestling, football and track along with ROTC in college plus work, its a load full. I would give nothign for the time and experiences i had while in school, hope my sons are able to follow the sport and get the same thrill I had from WRESTLING.

Athletes work harder than just students i believe due to all the extra work load they put on themsleves not to mention if they have families.

825554161[/snapback]

I don't know that this part of what you said is completely true. The majority of student-athletes tend to seek the "easier" majors (sociology, criminology, exercise science, etc). Now, there is nothing wrong with these majors so don't get offended. However, I know plenty of biochemistry, biomedical engineering, and other biological science majors that spend a lot of time with school. But, I do understand your point.

In general, I think it does provide a great opportunity to get an education. I like what Hamm said. Further, sometimes it's the ONLY way for someone to get an education. I heard one coach comment on a wrestler with a scholarship to Duke. "He may not go far in wrestling, but look at the education he'll receive."

I thought this would be a good topic to discuss. A little different, but I hope some athletes looking at this will consider some things that were said. I think why wrestling is such a great sport is because of the character it develops in a person. It's hard to develop those in other sports b/c wrestling does take commitment, dedication, persistence, etc.

Please keep your thoughts coming!!

I'm glad you like it wrestlin4life.

Let's take this a little further. What are the specific pros/cons to wrestling in college. I know we've touched on a few already. Also, is there anyone on here that decided not to wrestle in college? If so, why not? I'll start.

I entertained one school. I really wasn't interested in taking it to the next level though. I just got burned out. I had been wrestling FOREVER. I grew up with 4 older brothers, and my dad helped start a little league team in the St. Louis area. So I did it all of the time. I also preferred baseball. They do make more money! :) Looking back, I would say this was a wise decision. Unless someone has a legitimate shot at going to the next level, the Olympics, IMO it's a waste of time. Now, before you get upset there are exceptions. I stated earlier that it can provide an opportunity to get a college education. Nevertheless, with all sports, very few people are actually good enough to make any money doing it. So, why not invest your time in something else? Something worthwhile would be academics and work to support one's self through school, if necessary. In addition, the coach/school owns the athlete if they are on scholarship. Some coaches may not think getting the education is very important. In such a case, the student-athlete loses out. Let's be reminded that "student" comes before "athlete" in student-athlete. How often is it reversed? Anyhow, that's enough for the momest. Please share your thoughts. I think anyone could make an argument either way.

Wrestling 4 life, Great Ala Match!!!! Wrestling does the same thing all sports do FOR SOME in college. It gives them an opportunity to have someone help them pay for school and it as has been said it keeps some accoountable. Some just do it because they can't get it out of their blood. How about That Franklin HS in the State Duals??? Some of the greatest athletes get burned out before they reach greatness and some do it forever and get nothing except the love of the sport.