State Location

TheVet

"Sleeping in your own bed" may not be what "sports fans regard as home field advantage", but it sure becomes an important part of the equation when a coach considers his itinerary and modus operandi on an out-of-town overnighter.  Not "sleeping in your own bed" in a literal interpretation may have predictably minimal effects on performances of athletes.  But for scholastic athletes, the figurative consequences can get in the way.  My guess is that many, maybe most, coaches can relate a variety of situations with negative consequences for athletes which occurred on overnighters that would not have happened had they been spending the night at home in their own beds.  Over the years I have heard and observed the consequences of any number of such stories. 

I have observed teams that I felt wrestled just as well on the road as they did at home because the wrestlers had been conditioned to the situation.  But for the teams who don't have the opportunities for such conditioning, traveling (vs staying at home) could make a difference in their performance on the mat.

825558305[/snapback]

maybe, but that has not been my observation of teams and athelets that want to win. It has been my observations of immature athelets and coachs who do not set the standards for behavior and then follow up on high school students to ensure the behavior is acceptable.

on the other end of the spectrum, my guess is many coaches could relate negative consequences for atheletes which occurred during a run of home matches as well, they may or may not have happened on the road.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the best program in the state every year and i don't know why you said we are obnoxcious. We have had the best coach ever in coach logsden and now in laxdon. I thought our fans and team was one of the best there. And i think that the tournaments should be in clarksville even tho its a long way for all our crowd to go to.

The great thing about being a wrestling spectator is normally you are close to the action / mat. Mackenzie Arena takes that away, so that your cheers go unheard most of the time. I would prefer a smaller venue anywhere for this important event.

825558350[/snapback]

how small, and then how does that impact the number of people who desire to attend an event like this?

how small, and then how does that impact the number of people who desire to attend an event like this?

825558381[/snapback]

Maybe at a smaller arena, you would do DI in the AM & DII in PM, in order to accomodate fans, half of which would not go to both sessions. I just hate being in the upper decks for a match.

Maybe at a smaller arena, you would do DI in the AM & DII in PM, in order to accomodate fans, half of which would not go to both sessions. I just hate being in the upper decks for a match.

825558438[/snapback]

sounds like a workable idea, but I have to say, I enjoy being able to see both the Division wrestle, and I would be one of those who would want to stay for both "events".

Nashville does make more sense to hold the tournaments.  It is no more than four hours from anyone and there is more wrestling in middle tennessee than anywhere else in the state, middled school through high school.

When the State was held at Lipscomb Univ in McQuiddy Gym (before the Allen Arena) it was done as well as anywhere.  Gary Hall and the Lipscomb people did a fabulous job and it was as well attended as any state tournaments.

My guess would be that a revenue issue meaning that the State Tournament revenue means less to a city the size of Nashville than Chattanooga or Clarksville.  I imagine the city of Clarksville can feel the revenue impact of the State Duals and they do a great job with it.  Chattanooga likewise can feel the Individual States or more realize the loss if it were moved from there.

TSSAA probably cant bargain in Nashville as they could in the other cities.

I almost think from the athletes standpoint, traveling to the state heightens the experience and readiness.

I love the Roundhouse.  Seems like a mini NCAA's.  Allen Arena (Lipscomb Univ) would be an excellent choice, but after the AAU tore up the place, you might be hard pressed to get wrestling there again.

See ya on the southern border, 3rd week in Feb, DONT BE LATE!

reftn

825557739[/snapback]

Are you calling it this year?

soms

I always enjoy reading the very first post on the board from a guy who signed up 20 minutes before and then totally slams someone, team or program.

anyhow, one person's obnoxious bunch is another person's biggest supporter, just ask irishdad.  (I do not mean that in a negative manner id).

I bet that new Bradley coach does not feel badly about what he inherited either, and I believe he has already shown how good he is going to be.

825557776[/snapback]

I agree!!!

(legman @ Feb 8 2005 - 09:26 PM)

Catcall,

Because I have been at the helm of that "obnoxious bunch" for the last 14 years, I can't help but take your comments just a little personal.  I have no problem with the petty little comments that some posters make because I am aware that this forum is often used as a platform for anonymous cowards.  However, because I am fair-minded, I'd like to extend you the opportunity to crawl out from behind your keyboard and place your name behind your words.  Surely a person with your strong convictions will be more than willing to do so.

I was lucky enough to be surrounded by great kids, great parents, great fans and great administrators for 14 years.  Your remarks were vague, mean-spirited and in no way accurately reflect the fine people in the Bradley program.  If a "crime" has been committed, it is that these people like to compete and support their team with great enthusiasm.  I love Bradley wrestling and the people who support it.  They do it with style and they do it well.  Slander someone else.

....I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name.

Steve Logsdon...the Legman

He won't tell...

Gees, where to start with my reply?

Ok, here it goes.

Leave the State Tournament in Chattanooga. Jim Morgan and the crew do a great job. Besides, the facility does not cost the TSSAA anything, thanks to a very generous donation, which is given every year.

If the TSSAA is looking to put this event up for bid, why not Knoxville! We have 2 great venues to choose from: Thompson Boling Arena and the New Knoxville Convention Center. Plenty of Hotel Space. Very Good wrestling network in place to cover all the wrestling needs. I know we could do a GREAT job.

The kids. coaches, and wrestlers from Bradley have always treated me and my kids with great respect and hospitality. Coach Logsdon, I have seen him in action, would not tolerate anything else.

Clarksville, I stated this last year. You guys do a great job. No matter how good of a job you do, there will always be someone there to tear/put you down. No matter how great of an event you run, you will NEVER MAKE THEM ALL HAPPY.

reftn? It was not the AAU who damaged the David Lispcomb facility. It was several unsupervised kids, whose Mom/Dad/and or Coach allowed them to roam freely throughout the venue.

I have been the tournament director of: 8 National AAU Wrestling Tournaments; 2 TSSAA Regional Wrestling Tournaments; 3 TSSAA Regional Dual Tournaments; 9 High school Dual Tournaments; and 16 AAU Youth Wrestling Tournaments (the largest of which had 787 wrestlers). Damage to the facility has ranged from paper towels in the toliet to a broken window (TSSAA Regional, a kid put his hand through a hallway window). I never placed the blame for any of the damage on the TSSAA, AAU, or Future Champions. It was unsupervised kids whose parents have failed to teach them how to behave in public/private that led to the broken window. It was not "the TSSAA getting in here and tearing up the place."

Nashville does make more sense to hold the tournaments.  It is no more than four hours from anyone and there is more wrestling in middle tennessee than anywhere else in the state, middled school through high school.

When the State was held at Lipscomb Univ in McQuiddy Gym (before the Allen Arena) it was done as well as anywhere.  Gary Hall and the Lipscomb people did a fabulous job and it was as well attended as any state tournaments.

My guess would be that a revenue issue meaning that the State Tournament revenue means less to a city the size of Nashville than Chattanooga or Clarksville.  I imagine the city of Clarksville can feel the revenue impact of the State Duals and they do a great job with it.  Chattanooga likewise can feel the Individual States or more realize the loss if it were moved from there.

TSSAA probably cant bargain in Nashville as they could in the other cities.

I almost think from the athletes standpoint, traveling to the state heightens the experience and readiness.

I love the Roundhouse.  Seems like a mini NCAA's.  Allen Arena (Lipscomb Univ) would be an excellent choice, but after the AAU tore up the place, you might be hard pressed to get wrestling there again.

See ya on the southern border, 3rd week in Feb, DONT BE LATE!

reftn

825557739[/snapback]

Another Hit and Run Post.

The Duals where hosted by Overton a few times. It was never packed or nearly packed. Where were all these Nashville fans you speak of? Clarksville is less than an hour from Nashville. I'll bet my check against yours that there were more paying customers from Bradley and Hamilton County than any other part of the state. Where were all these Nashville fans?

Bear,

I dont have the car to keep up with you and the posts, its not hit and run, just takes time to find you.

We like Hamilton Cty money. We need it and I am surprised Bud Adams doesnt get a cut of Nashville wrestling money.

Speaking in terms of Nashville, I generally mean middle TN. Been a long time since the Duals were at Overton.

If as someone posted, the Round House comes to TSSAA free due to a donation, you cant beat free.

I might bet you, but it would likely take two or three of my checks to get close to you!

reftn