Pre-High School Wrestling

dentdoc09

The Bradley/Cleveland & Chattanooga areas have some serious middle school wrestling. Technique is drilled & conditioning is pretty solid. Most schools(Ocoee middle/Lake Forest/Cleveland/Baylor/McCallie wrestle each other and/or several programs in North GA.(Gordon Lee/Dalton/Bagley/Gladden/Dalton....). The season starts immediately after football and goes thorough late January. At that point many of the middle school kids, join with the "Kid's Clubs" and wrestle through March. At that point, some will pick up and wrestle some Freestyle for another month.

Many of the Kid's Clubs start early Jan. - March, wrestling FCI, AAU, or USA.

Several teams through the same areas - Bradley, Cleveland, Baylor, Mccallie, & the Hamilton county league. I know several teams through the middle TN. & Nashville area, Knoxville have solid kid's club programs.

The starting age is getting younger all the time, my guess is an average of 7 or 8 years old. Some 4 or 5 , some 11 or 12.

825556694[/snapback]

But why does Chattanooga/ Bradley win all the State titles? <_< Ohhhh, thats why! :huh: It is the heart of TN Wrestling. ;)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiousity....

Reasoning why Chattanooga wins alot of team titles at state individuals I am looking for discerning minds...and not taking anything from the area.

I look at the Regions, THE only path to the state where the more you bring, the better your chances of championships.

One Chattanooga region as FOUR teams in it? Geeez, it would seem harder NOT to make the state out of that region than to get there. The other Chattanooga region has Bradley, Cleveland and about eight other teams?

I reiterate, it is important to bring team numbers to the individual states to even consider a team title.

Would these vaunted teams in the heart, center and soul of TN wrestling do so well if they had to come through a Region 5, 6, or 7? Some of these Regions have more than 20 teams competing for 4 spots in each weight class.

Any thoughts?....this should be good.

reftn

Reasoning why Chattanooga wins alot of team titles at state individuals I am looking for discerning minds...and not taking anything from the area.

I look at the Regions, THE only path to the state where the more you bring, the better your chances of championships.

One Chattanooga region as FOUR teams in it?  Geeez, it would seem harder NOT to make the state out of that region than to get there.  The other Chattanooga region has Bradley, Cleveland and about eight other teams? 

I reiterate, it is important to bring team numbers to the individual states to even consider a team title. 

Would these vaunted teams in the heart, center and soul of TN wrestling do so well if they had to come through a Region 5, 6, or 7?  Some of these Regions have more than 20 teams competing for 4 spots in each weight class.

reftn

825559342[/snapback]

Antioch Middle is usually the best middle school tem. They got 1st at city last year.

One Chattanooga region as FOUR teams in it?  Geeez, it would seem harder NOT to make the state out of that region than to get there.  The other Chattanooga region has Bradley, Cleveland and about eight other teams? 

Would these vaunted teams in the heart, center and soul of TN wrestling do so well if they had to come through a Region 5, 6, or 7?  Some of these Regions have more than 20 teams competing for 4 spots in each weight class.

reftn

825559342[/snapback]

I don't know what's stuck under your saddle but you have been doing a lot of hit and run lately.

Everyone is FULLY aware that Region 5 has too many teams. Why is that? Was it a master conspiracy by the Super Secret Tennessee Wrestling Committee or did it have something to do with the 5-7 schools that have been built there in the past 5 years. The TSSAA has redrawn the Regions for next year. What more do you want?

For your "vaunted team" question..... THE vaunted team has faired pretty well in the State Duals going through Region 5, 6 and 7. For that matter, so has Soddy. Check the Results. Outside of Franklin, Cleveland was the best TN team we wrestled. A few years ago when we beat Clarksville in the Dual Finals, they were not the 2nd best team in the State. Cleveland was.

In regard to the State Tournament, take a look at the following stats;

Last 5 years Bradley has had 65 wrestlers qualify for the State Tournament. 43 of the 65 (67%) have been placewinners.

18 State Champions - 2 OW's

9 Runner ups

8 3rds

2 4ths

3 5ths

3 6ths

I did not do the math but I would doubt Regions 5, 6 and 7 could match 67% if you added them together.

2 Final questions ---

Why is Region 7 in your comparison group?

Do you feel a TSSAA referee should enter into a public discussion like this?

Regards,

BB

I don't know what's stuck under your saddle but you have been doing a lot of hit and run lately.

Everyone is FULLY aware that Region 5 has too many teams. Why is that? Was it a master conspiracy by the Super Secret Tennessee Wrestling Committee or did it have something to do with the 5-7 schools that have been built there in the past 5 years. The TSSAA has redrawn the Regions for next year. What more do you want?

For your "vaunted team" question..... THE vaunted team has faired pretty well in the State Duals going through Region 5, 6 and 7. For that matter, so has Soddy. Check the Results. Outside of Franklin, Cleveland was the best TN team we wrestled. A few years ago when we beat Clarksville in the Dual Finals, they were not the 2nd best team in the State. Cleveland was.

In regard to the State Tournament, take a look at the following stats;

Last 5 years Bradley has had 65 wrestlers qualify for the State Tournament. 43 of the 65 (67%) have been placewinners.

18 State Champions - 2 OW's

9 Runner ups

8 3rds

2 4ths

3 5ths

3 6ths

I did not do the math but I would doubt Regions 5, 6 and 7 could match 67% if you added them together.

2 Final questions --- 

Why is Region 7 in your comparison group? 

Do you feel a TSSAA referee should enter into a public discussion like this?

Regards,

BB

825559515[/snapback]

What I like out of the cleveland team is that you never once hear one complaint out of any of them regarding the region they are in. They build their team and go to battle every single year against a cross town rival who seems to take their thunder away from a program that is usually second to one.

Geee...a bit touchy?

I should be banned from discussion?

The state duals arent a part of the question. No one is questioning the quality or veracity of the wrestlers in the state. Its the greatest show in high school sport.

Again, no one is questioning the deserving of the schools or their wrestlers in getting to the states, certainly because they earn their medals once there.

The purpose was to enter into a discussion of the sheer numbers being brought from lesser quantity regions, not necessarily weaker.

Region 7 is a middle TN region.

The rumor is two addtional regions will be formed next year in middle TN. I dont know how that will work out the numbers in the 32 man bracket.

I am not being critical of any wrestling program or individual wrestler. In fact, I admire them and in our sport, the proof comes on the mat. And it becomes proven as your stats point out.

For a team to bring 14 wrestlers to the state, particularly high seed wrestlers, some teams have a much tougher row to hoe. If the two Chattanooga regions were combined, what kind of affect might that have?

I suppose I look for that perfect world where every region had sixteen full teams. And I also look for all of TN to wrestle at the individual states under a single division again one day.

I dont care for donkeys to fly, but I reckon that might happen first!

reftn

Hit and run? You must have me mistaken.

I am shocked you haven't seen this.

2005-9 Regions (partial)

Region 3

Boyd-Buchanan (Chattanooga)

Bradley Central (Cleveland)

Chattanooga Central (Harrison)

Cleveland

Cookeville

Cumberland County (Crossville)

McMinn Central (Englewood)

McMinn County (Athens)

Rhea County (Evensville)

Sequoyah (Madisonville)

Tyner (Chattanooga)

Region 4

Brainerd (Chattanooga)

Chatt. Christian (Chattanooga)

East Ridge (Chattanooga)

Grundy County (Coalmont)

Hixson

Howard (Chattanooga)

Lookout Valley (Chattanooga)

Notre Dame (Chattanooga)

Ooltewah

Red Bank (Chattanooga)

Soddy-Daisy (Soddy Daisy)

Region 5

Blackman (Murfreesboro)

Forrest (Chapel Hill)

Franklin County (Winchester)

Lincoln County (Fayetteville)

Marshall County (Lewisburg)

Oakland (Murfreesboro)

Riverdale (Murfreesboro)

Shelbyville

Siegel (Murfreesboro)

Tullahoma

Warren County (McMinnville)

Region 6

Brentwood

Centennial (Franklin)

CPA (Nashville)

David Lipscomb (Nashville)

Franklin

Franklin Road Academy (Nashville)

Hillsboro (Nashville)

Hillwood (Nashville)

Independence (Franklin)

Nashville Christian (Nashville)

Nashville Overton (Nashville)

Page (Franklin)

Ravenwood (Brentwood)

Region 7

Antioch

East Literature (Nashville)

Glencliff (Nashville)

Hume-Fogg (Nashville)

Hunters Lane (Nashville)

Maplewood (Nashville)

McGavock (Nashville)

MLK (Nashville)

Pearl-Cohn (Nashville)

Stratford (Nashville)

TSB (Nashville)

Whites Creek

Region 8

Beech (Hendersonville)

Friendship Christian (Lebanon)

Greenbrier

Hendersonville

LaVergne

Lebanon

Mt. Juliet

Smyrna

Springfield

Wilson Central (Lebanon)

Region 9

Cheatham County (Ashland City)

Clarksville

Clarksville NE (Clarksville)

Clarksville NW (Clarksville)

Creek Wood (Charlotte)

Dickson County (Dickson)

Fairview

Harpeth (Kingston Springs)

Kenwood (Clarksville)

Montgomery Central (Cunningham)

Rossview (Clarksville)

Sycamore (Pleasant View)

Actually I hadnt Bear. I knew the rumors. They like to keep us fairly ignorant as refs. Red and Green are about as colorful as we get.

So if we go to a single division, I should expect Donkeys to Fly!?

Any clue as to how they will pull in the 32 man bracket? Pigtail the 32?

I think that break down looks good, what are the thoughts in Chatt and elsewhere?

reftn

There will be 10 regions. All Regions except 2 and a region TBD will send 3 kids per weight. Region 2 will send 4. The region with the most returning state medalist will also send 4. That's 32.

In the Duals there will be a substate with the 1st and 2nd place teams from each region going. There will still be 8 AAA DI schools going to Clarksville. Beyond that, I haven't heard or figured out how you start with 20 and end up with 8.

The good news is this system will solve the 'Cleveland' problem. The bad news is it comes a year too late. They are graduating the meat of their team and will be rebuilding next year.

Here's the rest

Region 1

Chuckey-Doak (Afton)

Daniel Boone (Gray)

David Crockett (Jonesborough)

Elizabethton

Greeneville

Jefferson County (Dandridge)

Kingsport Dobyns Bennett (Kingsport)

Morristown East (Morristown)

Morristown West (Morristown)

Science Hill (Johnson City)

Sullivan East (Bluff City)

Tennessee High (Bristol)

West Greene (Mosheim)

Region 2

Alcoa

Bearden (Knoxville)

Farragut (Knoxville)

Gibbs (Corryton)

Greenback

Heritage (Maryville)

Karns (Knoxville)

Kingston

Knoxville Catholic (Knoxville)

Knoxville Central (Knoxville)

Knoxville Fulton (Knoxville)

Knoxville Halls (Knoxville)

Knoxville West (Knoxville)

Maryville

Pigeon Forge

Powell

Sevier County (Sevierville)

Seymour

South-Doyle (Knoxville)

Union County (Maynardville)

William Blount (Maryville)

Region 10

Bartlett

Bolton (Arlington)

Brighton

Collierville

Cordova

Germantown

Houston (Germantown)

Kingsbury (Memphis)

Millington

Munford

Ridgeway (Memphis)

Westside (Memphis)

White Station (Memphis)

What I like out of the cleveland team is that you never once hear one complaint out of any of them regarding the region they are in.  They build their team and go to battle every single year against a cross town rival who seems to take their thunder away from a program that is usually second to one.

825559615[/snapback]

I thought this was a discussion on Pre-High School wrestling. Part of the reason the Chattanooga teams were better is because they have had a successful youth program. Middle Tennessee is picking up in this area and it is showing in schools like Franklin, Brentwood, Ravenwood, etc. Bradley and Soddy Daisy will not win all the !st place this year or in the years to come because of the improvement in youth programs.

I thought this was a discussion on Pre-High School wrestling.  Part of the reason the Chattanooga teams were better is because they have had a successful youth program.  Middle Tennessee is picking up in this area and it is showing in schools like Franklin, Brentwood, Ravenwood, etc.  Bradley and Soddy Daisy  will not win all the !st place this year or in the years to come because of the improvement in youth programs.

825559871[/snapback]

Not to sure why you brought my quote forward to comment on, but I was responding to a post and I think it was in line with that information.