DI OW

slimwrastler54

For OW, i think people should look at who a kid has beaten en route to a state championship. Also, milestones have to be considered. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Leen win his 4th state championship last year? If that was the case then I think it is automatic.

One case that blows my mind is when Matt Keller did not get it after winning his 4th.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For OW, i think people should look at who a kid has beaten en route to a state championship.  Also, milestones have to be considered.  Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Leen win his 4th state championship last year?  If that was the case then I think it is automatic.

One case that blows my mind is when Matt Keller did not get it after winning his 4th.

825560179[/snapback]

Who's performance and ability "stood out" the most. outstanding Who was the best of the best for that given tournament, that is who should get the award. You don't reward a career, a season, or even a person you like, but the wrestler who was the best for that given tournament. That is what I think. And that doesn't have to do with how many team points they score. when a Cael Sanderson beats a Lee Fulhart by a point that isn't worth less than when a Jordan Lean beats a Freshman by 15 points.

825560179[/snapback]

He didn't have the best tournament. Yost did. Keller's senior year Yost had 5 pins. Keller had 2 pins and 3 tech falls. That is what the award is, the outstanding wrestler of the tournament. It is not about career acomplishments.

Leen had an outstanding tournament last year. Ryan Scott was also a four-timer but his finals match was 9-6. Leen had 3 pins and a major decision in the finals. Hiller had 2 pins and two majors. Cleveland had 3 pins and a regular decision. Leen statistically had the best tournament.

Good point Coach Delgado. I forgot about Ryan Scott, I don't know how but I did. As far as Keller, I think technical falls are just as dominating as pins. I wasn't trying to take anything away from yost. I was surprised that Keller didn't get it. Even with 2 pins and 3 tech's, that is a great state tournament. Yost is deserving with 5 pins (great performance)! That is why "clintabbott" said there is a lot of controversy when voting for OW. Thanks for pointing out the fact to me. i got ahead of myself.

Good point Coach Delgado.  I forgot about Ryan Scott, I don't know how but I did.  As far as Keller, I think technical falls are just as dominating as pins.  I wasn't trying to take anything away from yost.  I was surprised that Keller didn't get it.  Even with 2 pins and 3 tech's, that is a great state tournament.  Yost is deserving with 5 pins (great performance)!  That is why "clintabbott" said there is a lot of controversy when voting for OW.  Thanks for pointing out the fact to me.  i got ahead of myself.

825560300[/snapback]

It shouldn't have anything to do with Career. Those are saved for "Dream Team" like awards. This is for the M.O.W. of the State Tournament. Who is the Most Outstanding wrestler in your opinion? Is it more outstanding to pin your way through a weaker weight class or knock off a defending State Champion? Is it more Outstanding to tech. your opponent in the finals or go through the tournament not being scored upon? All of these questions we have no set guidelines for. Which, in a way is good. If it were that simple it would be too cut and dry. Although it seems recently we have taken a step towards going on who scores the most team points. But on the other hand, in 94', 98' and 99' the wrestlers who won best wrestler, although very deserving, did not accumulate the highest team point total. Again it's all personal preference! Just Icing on the State Cake!

I'm not saying he hasn't beaten all his competition in TN. And, I'm not trying to take anything away from him.

My comment simply reflects that I think there are others who will demonstrate a more dominating control over their weight class at the State Tournament.

825560141[/snapback]

I didn't think you were trying to take anything away from him. Just curious about who had wrestled him close.

I think technical falls are just as dominating as pins.

825560300[/snapback]

I agree. Look at Kyle James from Soddy of last year. 2 or 3 time state champion, Tennessee's highest placer at Fargo ever. State tournament pinned first round, then had 4 tech falls, including a 4 minute tech fall over Kelly Felix in the finals. IMO, that is dominating the weight class. My two cents would be two see who had the least time on the mat, either by pin or tech fall. But OW is a very difficult choice...especially in DI this year. I would choose Marable in DII.

I agree. Look at Kyle James from Soddy of last year. 2 or 3 time state champion, Tennessee's highest placer at Fargo ever. State tournament pinned first round, then had 4 tech falls, including a 4 minute tech fall over Kelly Felix in the finals. IMO, that is dominating the weight class. My two cents would be two see who had the least time on the mat, either by pin or tech fall. But OW is a very difficult choice...especially in DI this year. I would choose Marable in DII.

825560918[/snapback]

Kyle James did dominate that match and won in big fashion. What I noticed the most was a takedown clinic and release action. He did not work for a pin at all, in my opinion.

What about this.....

Most Valuable Wrestler for that wrestler who did, infact total the most points for his team, rating pins, tech falls, majors and so on in that order.

OW for the wrestler that did above and beyond what was expected. This could be the champion who came from the lowest seed.

Was Bundy on the radar screen in last years state? Where did he start out?

Only thoughts....

reftn

What about this.....

Most Valuable Wrestler for that wrestler who did, infact total the most points for his team, rating pins, tech falls, majors and so on in that order.

OW for the wrestler that did above and beyond what was expected.  This could be the champion who came from the lowest seed.

Was Bundy on the radar screen in last years state?  Where did he start out?

Only thoughts....

reftn

825561168[/snapback]

Ain't happenin'. More plaques mean less money in the TSSAA coffers.

Reftn, you have been in the meetings before the finals. You know what is discussed. It is not rocket science. 2 or 3 kids are singled out for their performances up to that point. Different criteria, not in any specific order, have been pins, defeating returning state champs, match-up between state champs, dominating matches. The refs keep their eyes on those kids. After the finals they vote for one of them.

What about this.....

OW for the wrestler that did above and beyond what was expected.  This could be the champion who came from the lowest seed.

Was Bundy on the radar screen in last years state?  Where did he start out?

Only thoughts....

reftn

825561168[/snapback]

Bundy had to be a consideration.