Press Coverage of Regions

M.U.Chang

I copied the following posts from the Region 6 Results topic since I think the subject matter of these comments deserves to be its own topic instead of buried in the posts about another topic. I hope the posters don't mind.

.......................................................................................................................

QUOTE(Aspen @ Feb 13 2005 - 12:00 PM)

Brad:

Did you ban the Tennessean from writing about the tournament so that your site is the sole source of information ? It would have been nice to see some mention of the tournament in Sunday's paper.

I can get bass fishing info, but can't read about the Regional wrestling tournament.

Even the high school bowling teams got some press after their regional tournament.

Such is the lonely life of a middle Tennessee wrestler.

I hope you were kidding, because I might have taken offense to that. I have sent the results of all of the tournaments that I have managed to both the Tennessean and the City Paper and then checked to see if they were mentioned but were not. The people at the Tennessean do not think that high school wrestling is newsworthy. Not my fault, and I am as fed up with as you are. So use the paper for the garbage, most of the time that is what they think we think is newsworthy any way.

Brad

......................................................................................................................

I did some checking and here is what I found.

The Chattanooga Times Free Press ( through an overworked but selfless when it comes to wrestling Ward Gossett) had articles on both Region 3 and Region 4 this morning ( how does Gossett manage to get to two tournaments when the Tennessean can't find its way to one). The Cleveland Daily Banner also covered Region 3.

The Clarksville Leaf Chronicle covered Region 7. The Commercial Appeal covered Region 8 with an article this morning. The Kingsport Times-News and the Bristol Herald Courier had articles about Region 1. The Knoxville News Sentinel had one on Region 2.

The Nashville Tennessean, allegedly a major daily, did not have a single article or even a note about Region 6 or Region 5. So, two major high school wrestling tournaments in the Nashville area, one involving the Nashville Metro schools and the other schools in one of the fastest growing counties in the state ( note to Tennessean--- think reader base) took place in the Nashville area this weekend and got no coverage whatsovever.

Now, maybe the Nashville City Paper, which does not have a Sunday edition and has limited space, will have some mention of the tournaments in its Monday edition. Or maybe enough angry e-mails and phone calls landed on the Tennessean sports desk that there will be something in tommorrow's paper--------we can only hope ( let's see, where I come from they had a saying that fits here: wish in one hand, spit in the other, and see which fills up first.) Whatever happens, however, there is simply no excuse for the failure of the Tennessean to have some coverage of these two tournaments in its Sunday paper. The kids wrestling in these two tournaments, many looking for some recognition that what they are putting themselves through is worth it, deserve better. Instead, what they see is that their activities are more likely to be considered newsworthy if they sell dope on the street corners, invade a home or hijack a car. We should not even bring up the idea of moving the state wrestling tournament to Nashville with this kind of sorry coverage of the sport by the main newspaper in this town.

Oh well, the Tennessean is good for one thing. I went bass fishing and had some luck. Need something to wrap the fish in to put them in the fridge. The Tennessean is just perfect for that.

Edited by M.U.Chang

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I copied the following posts from the Region 6 Results topic since I think the subject matter of these comments deserves to be its own topic instead of buried in the posts about another topic.  I hope the posters don't mind.

.......................................................................................................................

QUOTE(Aspen @ Feb 13 2005 - 12:00 PM)

Brad:

Did you ban the Tennessean from writing about the tournament so that your site is the sole source of information ? It would have been nice to see some mention of the tournament in Sunday's paper.

I can get bass fishing info, but can't read about the Regional wrestling tournament.

Even the high school bowling teams got some press after their regional tournament.

Such is the lonely life of a middle Tennessee wrestler.

..............................................................

I hope you were kidding, because I might have taken offense to that. I have sent the results of all of the tournaments that I have managed to both the Tennessean and the City Paper and then checked to see if they were mentioned but were not. The people at the Tennessean do not think that high school wrestling is newsworthy. Not my fault, and I am as fed up with as you are. So use the paper for the garbage, most of the time that is what they think we think is newsworthy any way.

Brad

......................................................................................................................

I did some checking and here is what I found.

The Chattanooga Times Free Press ( through an overworked but selfless when it comes to wrestling Ward Gossett) had articles on both Region 3 and Region 4 this morning ( how does Gossett manage to get to two tournaments when the Tennessean can't find its way to one). The Cleveland Daily Banner also covered Region 3.

The Clarksville Leaf Chronicle covered Region 7.  The Commercial Appeal covered Region 8 with an article this morning.  The Kingsport Times-News  and the Bristol Herald Courier had articles about Region 1.  The Knoxville News Sentinel  had one on Region 2.

The Nashville Tennessean, allegedly a major daily, did not have a single article or even a note about Region 6 or Region 5.    So, two major high school wrestling tournaments in the Nashville area, one involving the Nashville Metro schools and the other schools in one of the  fastest growing counties in the state ( note to Tennessean--- think reader base) took place in the Nashville area this weekend and got no coverage whatsovever. 

Now, maybe  the Nashville City Paper, which does not have a Sunday edition and has  limited space, will have some mention of the tournaments in its Monday edition.  Or maybe enough angry e-mails and phone calls landed on the Tennessean sports desk that there will be something  in tommorrow's paper--------we can only hope ( let's see, where I come from they had a saying that fits here:  wish in one hand, spit in the other, and see which fills up first.) Whatever happens, however, there is simply no excuse for the failure of the Tennessean to have some coverage of these two tournaments in its Sunday paper.  The kids wrestling in these two tournaments, many looking for some recognition that what they are putting themselves through is worth it,  deserve better.  Instead, what they see is that their activities are  more likely to be considered newsworthy if they sell dope on the street corners, invade a home or hijack a car.  We  should not even bring up the idea of moving the state wrestling tournament to Nashville with this kind of sorry coverage of the sport by the main newspaper in this town.

Oh well, the Tennessean is good for one thing.  I went bass fishing and had some luck.  Need something to wrap the fish in to put them in the fridge.  The Tennessean is just perfect for that.

825564839[/snapback]

Amen, MU Chang, send this message to the Tennessean.

Brad

Brad:

I was kidding, please don't take offense. Your handling of the region 6 tournament was first rate.

Heard a rumor that the Tennessean was changing it's name to the Notworthseeing

Hmmm... The Tennessean. What to think? They've done better with football over the past couple years (and that's in the middle of the NFL season, too). So why in the world when that's done and the Preds aren't playing can't you devote more space to preps? I understand there's a ton of schools and quite a few sports going on, but man.

I'm glad in Williamson County we've got the guys at the AM (Doug Dyer, et al) that do their best to give attention to everyone in the county in all sports. But with their early deadlines, I'm sure it was hard to get anything from Saturday into today's paper.

Complain, but be nice! A bunch of people just ranting to them won't change anything, most likely.

Hmmm... The Tennessean. What to think? They've done better with football over the past couple years (and that's in the middle of the NFL season, too). So why in the world when that's done and the Preds aren't playing can't you devote more space to preps? I understand there's a ton of schools and quite a few sports going on, but man.

I'm glad in Williamson County we've got the guys at the AM (Doug Dyer, et al) that do their best to give attention to everyone in the county in all sports. But with their early deadlines, I'm sure it was hard to get anything from Saturday into today's paper.

Complain, but be nice! A bunch of people just ranting to them won't change anything, most likely.

825565093[/snapback]

I have sent the results for every tournament that I have managed this season and the GP West was the only one covered. Rob Sherrill did that one. I think they can devote more time if they were willing. They have the space. If they get rid of the strip club ads.

I did and there should be a writeup either in the Williamson AM or Review Appeal or Tennessean.  The reporter was there for finals, camera and all.

825564995[/snapback]

Well that's good to hear Bobvark. At least Region 5 may get some press.

And who knows, maybe enough complaints got back to the Tennessean -----------or maybe the guys over there actually read other papers to see what is going on elsewhere, saw coverage of the other tournaments and realized that they missed Region 6------wait a minute, let's not get stupid about this and think those guys might actually read another paper just out of curiosity-----------but Monday being a slow news day now that pro football is over, they might crank out an article even though they did not cover Region 6. Goodness knows, between the information that Fiscus has on his website and the comments posted on this board, you could probably write up an article without even leaving the offices on Broadway------a poorly trained chimp could probably spit one out that just had the match scores. So it wouldn't take much to do it and they might just need some filler for the day. Of course, they better not submit an expense report for a ticket to the tournament and a couple of chili dogs and cokes-------------that's what cost that NY Times reproter his job.

But then, it wouldn't surprise me to still see no article on the wrestling tournaments but about two pages on The Game That Should Not Be Played Because After All Who Really Cares-----i.e. the NFL Pro Bowl.

I did and there should be a writeup either in the Williamson AM or Review Appeal or Tennessean.  The reporter was there for finals, camera and all.

825564995[/snapback]

Coach, I did as well for Region 6, but no camera, reporter, or otherwise. I will say the Williamson County guys do a good job. Friday or Thursday article was nice. I will send it to them again and offer some pictures as well.