TSSAA officiating

tnvolunteer

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the tssaa gets some refs that can actually officiate games correctly. Some are decent yes, but most blow calls all day long, Ex: Wilson Central and Beech.

825567558[/snapback]

Thats cause the only thing you need to ref is a heart beat. Most never played and look like they are getting off on controlling the games and players.

I believe anyone 18+ can become a TSSAA official.  If any of you are interested look into it.  You can pick the area you want to officiate in.  Tennessee is always wanting officials.

825570268[/snapback]

Yeah, they have advertised in the local papers very recently in the Nashville area and it shows from some of the giblet heads we get on the floor!

If any of you know basketball or played at a competitive level please get involved! Tennessee suffers compared to some of the other states who pay mileage to all officials and pay much better per game rates. Many of the "good officials" in our area have moved on to college ball and the replacements are lacking.

All you coaches out there who think referees suck, get out there yourselves and put your money where your mouth is on the weekends. The pay is not bad and it will make you a better coach to get out there and see the refereeing side of the game.

Yeah, they have advertised in the local papers very recently in the Nashville area and it shows from some of the giblet heads we get on the floor!

If any of you know basketball or played at a competitive level please get involved! Tennessee suffers compared to some of the other states who pay mileage to all officials and pay much better per game rates. Many of the "good officials" in our area have moved on to college ball and the replacements are lacking.

All you coaches out there who think referees suck, get out there yourselves and put your money where your mouth is on the weekends. The pay is not bad and it will make you a better coach to get out there and see the refereeing side of the game.

825570343[/snapback]

Spoken like a giblet head.

Get into it; the State can always use more officials - and not to be offensive, as I do know how hard it is to officiate..... but The crop I've saw calling the minor leagues (ie: JV) is no where ready to step up.

All in all this year on the JV front I've witnessed:

1) A player bounce passing the ball to the official get hit with a technical foul because he "about took the officials head off"

2) An official tell a fan that, "If he wants some, to come get some"

and - this one takes the cake

3) After an incorrectly called time-out (team didnt have the basketball) and injury on the court and not letting the teams move from the mid-court line (teams should be allowed to go to the sides as long as they remain ON the court), a fan in the stands told the officials that they could move to the sides, and that they messed up the timeout, to which one official (uncertified apparently, as he had no patch).....blew his whistle, and went to midcourt and yelled to the fan that if they could do a better job to go and get a shirt and whistle (Underlying joke here, said fan actually is and has spent time as an official, and had a whistle in their possesion at that time. It probably took a ton of restraint. Funny thing is, I've not saw this official call another game, and that occured nearly 4 weeks ago.)

But all-in-all, I think varsity is called pretty well: my only complaint this year is that the girls action seems very physical this year. Girls are emotional; and emotional ladies + physical play isn't a good combination. I would rather see a tightly called game from the get-go, rather than physical play result in altercations, or near altercations as I've saw punches thrown go without penalty (presumably because the officials knew it was way out of hand).

Then after both coaches complain about the physical games, the officials tighten down in the fourth period and call hand-checks left and right, no matter if a close game, or a 30-point game.

Get into it; the State can always use more officials - and not to be offensive, as I do know how hard it is to officiate..... but The crop I've saw calling the minor leagues (ie: JV) is no where ready to step up.

All in all this year on the JV front I've witnessed:

1) A player bounce passing the ball to the official get hit with a technical foul because he "about took the officials head off"

2) An official tell a fan that, "If he wants some, to come get some"

and - this one takes the cake

3) After an incorrectly called time-out (team didnt have the basketball) and injury on the court and not letting the teams move from the mid-court line (teams should be allowed to go to the sides as long as they remain ON the court), a fan in the stands told the officials that they could move to the sides, and that they messed up the timeout, to which one official (uncertified apparently, as he had no patch).....blew his whistle, and went to midcourt and yelled to the fan that if they could do a better job to go and get a shirt and whistle (Underlying joke here, said fan actually is and has spent time as an official, and had a whistle in their possesion at that time. It probably took a ton of restraint. Funny thing is, I've not saw this official call another game, and that occured nearly 4 weeks ago.)

But all-in-all, I think varsity is called pretty well: my only complaint this year is that the girls action seems very physical this year.  Girls are emotional; and emotional ladies + physical play isn't a good combination. I would rather see a tightly called game from the get-go, rather than physical play result in altercations, or near altercations as I've saw punches thrown go without penalty (presumably because the officials knew it was way out of hand).

Then after both coaches complain about the physical games, the officials tighten down in the fourth period and call hand-checks left and right, no matter if a close game, or a 30-point game.

825570443[/snapback]

I think the State needs to go back to a two ref system except during the State Tournament. This Is part of the problem. There simply aren't enough experienced refs left to call Varsity contests. Region 2 refs are the absolute worst. They are out of the Morristown / Greenville area. Too many of the young officials do not need to be calling at thier alma mater either. Especially if their former coach is still coaching. I have personally witnessed one of the worst cases of a blatantly called onesided game by one of the greenville refs and it wasn't even a home game for his school. Larry (Mtown) does a good job with the scheduling, but dear lord where did he get some of these clowns. I know it's not his fault but man...Not mentioning his name, But one of the more experienced refs seems to feel cheated if he doesn't get to T someone up.

I have seen 5 downs in football this year a coouple of times, I have seen missed shots counted and given a bonus shot, Technicals called for a player trying to take a charge " called a flop, which is an actual rule" but the let punches go uncalled. Hand checks called and physically riding a player into the wall on a lay up attempt a no call. Balls bounce on the plate and skip over the catchers head called a strike. The TSSAA needs to step in and get control of the officiating in the State. and hold some of them accountable for their actions as they do the coaches. Maybe the State should hold an actually meeting annually to assess the abilities of it refs. You know these guys make pretty good money to not take anymore pride in their jobs. :lol: