District 3AAA Tournament

mocs30

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powell 54

Clinton 53

This game is what district tournaments are all about. Two teams that fought their guts out. I could not be prouder of our guys. We did not play a perfect game and we missed opportunities to ice the game late, but we still pulled out a win over a very good Clinton team. It was such an emotional locker room after the game. But when those guys walked out of there, all they could think about was the fact that they get another opportunity to play Halls.

Halls 68

Oak Ridge 58

I can't say enough about Halls. They played with tremendous heart. Domsic made things tough on Borum most of the game, but when Halls got Oak Ridge away from the uptempo style, Oak Ridge just could not get into their rhythm in the half court. Willie Buchanon was huge for Halls with several demoralizing three pointers in the second half. The Wildcats were rusty probably from the lay off.

Powell vs. Halls in the championship. I thought for awhile now that Powell would come together at tournament time. This game means everything to players on both sides of this game. Powell, for whatever reason, has not played well against Halls this year, other than the first half at Powell. Credit Halls with most of the problems. But, I firmly believe that Powell has the better team. If Powell can match Halls' heart and intensity, they should win this game. Either way, both teams have made their communities proud and are fine basketball teams. It is not a stretch to say that Friday night could be a preview of the Region championship as well. Both will be hard to beat next week.

Clinton vs. Oak Ridge in the consolation. The crazy thing about this game is that it could also be a preview of the Region championship game. Both are fine teams, who just did not get it done tonight. This game is a toss up, but I just think that as Dixon gets better and better every game Clinton could just have too many athletes for Oak Ridge. Domsic will need to be more assertive offensively for Oak Ridge to win.

Edited by mocs30

Is there any way we can just go ahead and play these games tomorrow night. Friday seems like forever away. Great job to the Halls and Powell teams tonight. I'm going to take Halls again. I didn't make it out to the game tonight, but I can pretty much guarantee being at the game Friday. Halls/Powell will be one of the hardest fought games you'll see this year in my opinion. I can't even begin to imagine the difficulty Halls will have with it being that elusive 3rd game vs. Powell. Hope Halls can do it. Also, I'll take Clinton in that consolation game. It's late, see ya'll tomorrow for the discussion that I'm sure will begin about all this.

Is there any way we can just go ahead and play these games tomorrow night.  Friday seems like forever away.  Great job to the Halls and Powell teams tonight.  I'm going to take Halls again.  I didn't make it out to the game tonight, but I can pretty much guarantee being at the game Friday.  Halls/Powell will be one of the hardest fought games you'll see this year in my opinion.  I can't even begin to imagine the difficulty Halls will have with it being that elusive 3rd game vs. Powell.  Hope Halls can do it.  Also, I'll take Clinton in that consolation game.  It's late, see ya'll tomorrow for the discussion that I'm sure will begin about all this.

825580796[/snapback]

I TALKED TO COACH LOCKARD TONIGHT AFTER THE GAME. HE WANTED TO CONGRATUALTE POWELL AND COACH OGAN FOR A GREAT DISTRICT TOURNEY GAME. HE SAID WARD AND SMITH PLAYED VERY STRONG AND HARGIS WAS EXCEPTIONAL. HE SAID DIXON CARRIED US AT TIMES AND WHITT DID AS MUCH AS POWELL WOULD LET HIM. HE SAID TO HIS TEAM THAT THIS IS A TOURNEY LEARNING EXPERIENCE AND THAT THEY STILL LIVED TO PLAY IN THE REGION. HIS PREDICTIONS WERE THAT DIST. 3 WAS AS STRONG FROM TOP TO BOTTOM AS HE AS EVER SEEN AND THINKS THAT OUR DISTRICT WILL MAKE A STRONG SHOWING IN THE REGION. HE ALSO WANTED TO CONGRATULATE HALLS ON THEI thumb R TOURNEY RUN AND BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OUR DISTRICT TEAMS.

The halls coach said big players step up in big games and i was happy to see the senior Willy Buchanan hit some big 3's. I believe if it wasn't for those big 3's they mihgt not have pulled it out becasue he and Younkin were just lights out, And he had a huge steal at the end of the game that just busted OR's chances. Should be a good 1 Fri.

Lee Smith............ gah it is nice to see your head is now out of your you know what. If he plays hard and ward plays hard, no 1 can stop them in this district.

Lee big shots must run in the family. Good luck fri.

What a tournament it has been. Congrats to both teams tonight in 2 great games.

Willy Buchanon stepped up in a huge way last night by breaking out of his shooting slump and it could not have come in a better time. Cameron Sharp also played well along with Cody May inside. Trey Lucas went 8-8 from the free-throw line and atleast 6 of them were late in the game.

What a game it was between Clinton and Powell. Whitt wasn't his usual self and I thought others stepped up big. Jordan Dixon carried the team throughout most of the game. Powell played well thorughout the game and Lee stepped up to hit a big shot to win the game.

So now it's Halls vs. Powell take 3. What are everybody's predictions?

I feel like Halls can and should beat Powell for the third straight time. Both teams will play with alot of emotion, like most Powell Halls games are, I feel that it will be really close, but i observed that Halls plays more players than Powell as they only played with six players. Depth I think can and will be an issue.

Halls by 6

Rebounds in the first Halls - Clinton game were 55-30 Halls; turnovers were 24-9  (Halls with more) - so Clinton had at least 15 more shot attempts, thus more rebounds.

Rebounds last night were 47 - 39 in favor of Halls.

It's no secret that Clinton does not win games by rebounding (like last year)

Clinton has seen triangle and 2 as well as tandem and three by multiple teams this year and yes they have won games with Dixon, Shoemaker, and Ford being the leading scorers.

Bottom line is this - a person can look at all the stats they want to, but the one that matters is who wins the game (the only stat that matters);  often times the difference in winning and losing is who makes a big play at a big time.  Before the season started, one could look on paper and realize who should be good and who might struggle.

Oak Ridge - returned a very good team (lost Gulmire)

Karns - returned virtually everyone from a very good team

Halls - returned most players from a region semifinalist and picked up a double digit scorer from a state tourney team

Campbell Co. - returned almost everyone

Powell - returned Smith, Ward , Roach (but most everyone else was green)

Clinton - returned two starters (one coming off major knee surgery) and virtually no one else with much playing experience

Central - returned McGill andWilliamson, but depth was a factor

We can now see where the teams on paper compare with the teams in the standings.  This is not meant to be a reflection on any team, player, coaching staff, school, etc, merely a factul observation of players and experience.  There are a lot of good teams in this district and any are capable of winning or losing on a given night (the margin for error is small).  I just don't think there is any need to criticize any of these players or teams who have fought their tails off during this most exciting season.  Good Luck to all teams during their tournament run.

825570167[/snapback]

CC only lost Matt Housley, Josh Allen, Curtis Taylor, Jeremy Overbay ,and Keagen Silcox. Don't count CC out of next years running. They have alot of very talented 8th graders coming up and they even kept Cody Parker and Brandon Berry which were two key starters in this years season. They will also have Corey Chapman, a freshman this year to come off the bench and most likely start in the 05-06 season. If not next year, year after next, the Cougars will have a winning season, something we haven't seen in a while.