District 6-AAA Tournament Talk

InDepthInsider

I don't see any upsets happening, Ooltewah and Brainerd advance. Though as much as I'd like the Owls to get sweet revenge by beating Brainerd, I'd rather have them play Soddy. Brainerd plays good small ball and Soddy doesn't have anyone to break them down, but if Soddy gets hot down the stretch, it could happen. Although they got the win on the road, I don't see Red Bank having what it takes to beat a motivated Ooltewah team in the postseason. They just don't have to size for Courtney or Curt or a good answer for Brandon Brown.

All I have to say is, let us all hope against hope for some decent refs.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's the breakdown:

This is how it will go down, Ooltewah will beat Red Bank in a tough game by nine. Brainerd will have their way with Soddy, and win by 13+. Ooltewah will play Brainerd ing the championship and Ooltewah finally will have their moment against Brainerd and win by three.

Ooltewah has Brainerd's number, they have played them close and have led most the games against them but can't seem to finish it. But Baker will pull out all the stops in the tourney to win finally in a hard fought series this season.

Ooltewah Becomes the District Tourney Champs!

Good showing by both Ooltewah and Red Bank. Red Bank pressed well, forcing some pretty stupid turnovers (note: if you are inbounding they hit the ball back out of bounds and it is still in the air, don't catch it), and they kept the game close down the stretch. Ooltewah finally won a close game, but in all honestly they shouldn't have let it get down that close. Especially during the 2nd quarter, Ooltewah and especially Courtney was getting everything they wanted. A pretty strong showing by Porter too who played well around the basket. Red Bank seemed to have the Owls defense pretty figured out, getting plenty of backdoor layups and wide open 3's, which let them get back into the game in the 4th. Let's hope Baker can get the boys ready for thursday.

And a congratulations to Red Bank for a good season. You play good team ball and should be back for some more next season.

Brainerd survives a big scare in overtime and hangs on to win by 8 i believe. the lead changed hands probably 4-5 times in last 2 minutes of regulation with Soddy's Mcneil going length of floor and hit a running jumper with one second left to force overtime. Brainerd went out to a 8 point lead in overtime b/4 Soddy hit 2 three pointers to cut it to two. Soddy was going for the steal with a minute left, down two, place going crazy, and a player from Soddy gets called for a questionable foul. He turns around, doesn't look or say a word to the ref and hits the floor with his hands, so he gets called for a Technical. Brainerd iced it with four foul shots and then two more when they got the ball after the Tech. It was a very good game, it was a shame that the game had to have the technical called. Not saying Soddy would have won if it wasn't called, just think the kids should decide the game in that situation. Hats off to coach Shoemate and the Trojans for giving Brainerd all they wanted and then a lot more.

Ooltewah and Red Bank was a good game that shouldn't have been. Ooltewah had everything going for them in the first half. Had a 15 point lead at halftime. They started the third with a bucket to go up 17 and look like they were going to run away with it when Red Bank came storming back. Red Bank never led and the closest they would get is two.

Porter was the key player for Ooltewah tonight. He made so many big shots and took a key charge under a minute to play and what about his defensive blocks. He had to have about 5 blocks. Courtney White also had a very good game and got anything done he wanted offensively. Brandon Brown was key for the Owls in handling the ball although all three gaurds played poorly at times. Brown made an errant pass late in the game trying to throw an oop. Foster just never got his game going. He missed a very easy lay up that could have put the game away and then got another one blocked before that, yet he did a good job of getting the ball inside. Murray really had a pretty good game with the exception of some dumb turnovers. He had about two or threee in a row.

Ryan Wood had a great game for Red Bank. He was knocking down so many key shots for them. If he was open he was knocking it down. Smith had a good game too. He had alot of nice passes and shots inside the lane but couldnt get nything going outside of that.

Brainerd survives a big scare in overtime and hangs on to win by 8 i believe.  the lead changed hands probably 4-5 times in last 2 minutes of regulation with Soddy's Mcneil going length of floor and hit a running jumper with one second left to force overtime.  Brainerd went out to a 8 point lead in overtime b/4 Soddy hit 2 three pointers to cut it to two.  Soddy was going for the steal with a minute left, down two, place going crazy, and a player from Soddy gets called for a questionable foul.  He turns around, doesn't look or say a word to the ref and hits the floor with his hands, so he gets called for a Technical.  Brainerd iced it with four foul shots and then two more when they got the ball after the Tech.  It was a very good game, it was a shame that the game had to have the technical called.  Not saying Soddy would have won if it wasn't called, just think the kids should decide the game in that situation.  Hats off to coach Shoemate and the Trojans for giving Brainerd all they wanted and then a lot more.

825580624[/snapback]

Dfend56 made an excellent view of the game. The refs got progressively worse as the game went on. They began to call many calls that they would not have called earlier in the game. Brainerd was lucky to pick that win. I don't think that Soddy Daisy would have won even if the tech wasn't called but it sure made a big difference.

There were three things that I thought were key to this game. I thought that Soddy should have won this game but let it get away.

1) Brainerd really missed the absence of Corey Sanders. I understand that Soddy Daisy is playing without Darden, but he is not relyed on by his team like Corey Sanders is by Brainerd. He is a difference maker out on the court and it showed his absence. Talley began to drive more than he should, when he was knocking down several outside shots, but without Sanders they didn't have a great ball handler besides Talley. I feel that Corey Sanders let down his team, his coach, and his community with what he did knowing the consequences could be displinary actions that could take him out of basketball. I don't know how long he is gone but they need him back by Thursday, and especially next week.

2) I feel that Russel McNeil is a great player. He can make so many things happen and he wants to win the game very bad. But I also feel that he does not have enough confidence in his teamates around him. I do give him credit for driving the floor and tieng the game. But I think if you ask anyone there he tried to do way to much and should have given the ball up several times when he forced shots. I think that he is a great player and will turn out to be a tremendous ball player if he just learns when to give it up.

3) Cornelius Williams had to be the one to step up tonight in the place of Corey Sanders and I thought that he tried to be way to much like Corey. He did hit some good shots, but he made some very dumb turnovers and tried to force way to many things. I think that he ended up doing a decent job but he needs to control himself thursday and not try to do so much.

I'm not going to go into the Ooltewah/Red Bank game because it has been disected very well....BUT....

I understand that Ooltewah scores a lot of points on fast breaks. Or at least that's how they did last week in the two games I watched and then tonight. But when you've got a comfortable lead, why run the court and force the ball inside when there's nothing there. I thought Ooltewah played well in the first half. In the second half, and especially when they had a comfortable lead, they played like they were down by 15 with 5 minutes left. And if the layups are falling then that's one thing....but Ooltewah NEVER slowed it down, and they got sloppy. Turnovers and missed shots - not even good looks. When you're up by 15 and there's nothing there, take your time and make something be there. Oh well, I'm a baseball guy anyways - I don't know anything about basketball. I just hope they beat Brainerd on Thurs. I know they can - they just gotta do it!

Edited by GradfromtheNest

An upset could be in the making. Ooltewah lost two close games to Brainerd with Corey Sanders. The paper this morning said that Corey Sanders is out through the Region tournament.

Without Corey Brainerd will likely be in trouble against Ooltewah. If they every had a chance, OHS has one now. They can make a statement and win the district. This will be a good position to be in, because they will end up playing the fourth seed from 5AAA.

Brainerd will still be dangerous with Talley who can really score in streaks, if he gets off then it will be good news for Brainerd. The game is at Brainerd, which is also to their advantage.