Doaks --Back with a vengance

Volunatic

Okay, let's get real.  From the students' section, I haven't been to a game YET where the crowd didn't boo, taunt, scream ugly things, and basically blame everything on the refs.  The most amusing yet as been when the home team was holding the ball the last 15 seconds of the fourth quarter with a lead, and their crowd was complaining because the refs weren't calling fouls.  I sincerely wanted to scream "look idiots, you don't WANT a foul called.  You see, the guy in the suit over there, the guy who studies the game for a living, he thinks that the clock should run so YOUR team can hurry up and win instead of shooting foul shots."  Amazing.  But it happens.

Kids will be kids.  They're going to scream, yell, and talk about each others' mother's, funny haircuts, and big noses.  If you can't take it.  Get off the court.

However, the most disturbing thing I've noticed is how much more often the adults are getting more and more aggressive in their vocalizations.  I first noticed it about 10-15 years ago at football games when parents were urging their kids to injure the other side.  Not play hard.  Not hit hard.  No.  INJURE that person.  "Hit him in the knee", "Get him in the pile up", and things like that were really disturbing.

About four years ago, I started noticing it in basketball more.  I saw a town that always seem to send a group of people to the other side's bleachers to stir up trouble.  And they weren't kids.  They were adults.  And they always tended to have four or five people behind the other team's bench.  All adults.

I saw it come to a head one night when the adults started screaming out what the other team's coach was saying in the huddle.  They were "addressed" and told to refrain or they'd be asked to leave.  As it turns out, they were actually teachers from the school.  Amazing, but true.

See, that's what needs to be addressed.  We're so busy with all our zero tolerance procedures, in-school suspension, and sanctions that we're forgetting that the "good examples" are coming to the game, screaming obscenities, pounding the officials, and then go home complaining about how awful the other side is.

With regards to the discussion here, face it, neither Peabody or Lake County have a great deal of moral high ground to stand on.  I think if you had an audio/video tape of the parents and adults during the game and showed it the next afternoon to them, they'd be shocked at themselves.

Heck, that's not a bad idea, actually.  I'd like to do that for every team around here.  Maybe that would be a good school project for a psyche class at UTM next year.

I'd do it only at basketball games, though.  Honestly, the things I've heard at football games would probably border on being criminal.

825595775[/snapback]

Exactly!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

p---lease!  I most certainlly have been to LC games where YOUR crowd DID boo the visiting team coming out to warm up!  And guess what, I doubt Doaks cares a smidgen if you are cheering hard for your team. Do you not think these young men are concentrating on the game at hand? To say he's not that good sounds a little green to me & I don't mean Lake County green!

825595718[/snapback]

Some people do boo them, but my cousin and I try and stop them. I think it's dumb to boo a team that's coming out to warm up, it's childish, but Doaks does let all we say get to him!!

peabodymom,  remember rjmfalconfan probably should be working on homework instead of trying to stir up stuff with the grown ups.

825595728[/snapback]

When you're smart enough to finish homework in the 15 minutes you have left of class, you have time to get on the computer when you get home...don't hate!!!

Some people do boo them, but my cousin and I try and stop them.  I think it's dumb to boo a team that's coming out to warm up, it's childish, but Doaks does let all we say get to him!!

825596092[/snapback]

I don't think he lets the fans get to him... don't give yourself that much credit! If you'll recall, I believe he was more upset at the foul that was called. As for what the ref "thought" he heard Doaks say.......Doaks had his back to him and it was so loud I hardly think he heard anything. Just sounds somewhat questionable to me.

Now go back to class and learn something...........how do you guys get to post during school anyway?

Ok, so am I hearing this right?  Some of these LC fans/players, whatever, think that LC players never do anything wrong, they are the model fans, and their players never make mistakes and are better than anyone, anywhere...............and that anything and everything that Peabody does or says is wrong and their players are terrible and do not deserve any recognition. 

This seems to be all that some/most LC fans post about.  They cannot stand Peabody or Doaks... perhaps those school colors represent their TRUE feelings......if you know what I mean!  What about the girls?  I don't see anything about your girls team on the "Girls Basketball" page, why don't you rant and rave about them? 

I AM a Peabody fan and I will Never be ashamed to say it...............but I also give credit to players from other teams because I am mature enough to realize that Peabody players are not the ONLY great players their are out there.  West TN is FULL of talented male and female basketball players!  I am all about posting your opinions, but mouthing about other teams and players does NOT make you or your team any better! 

Of course it's going to be a good game tomorrow night......it should be it IS the Regional Championship game!  Good Luck to both LC and Peabody.....as both will advance to the Sub-State round!

825595535[/snapback]

You always talk about Lake County thinking their players never do anything wrong or make mistakes and all you do is make excuses for Trenton's players. And this seems to be all you can post about too, your dislike for anybody or anything to do with Lake County. Maybe you being proud of your team is why you feel the way you do, just like we ARE VERY PROUD of our FALCONS. You need to realize everything you talk about us doing, you are doing.

I don't think he lets the fans get to him... don't give yourself that much credit!  If you'll recall, I believe he was more upset at the foul that was called.  As for what the ref "thought" he heard Doaks say.......Doaks had his back to him and it was so loud I hardly think he heard anything.  Just sounds somewhat questionable to me.

Now go back to class and learn something...........how do you guys get to post during school anyway?

825596108[/snapback]

Certain classes have advantages. Like this one for example: we're working on term papers...we've turned them in already so there's nothing to do for the rest of the nine weeks since grades are being turned in soon!!! Why does it matter? I'm a senior and I dont have to worry bout my grades....they're GREAT!!!

Certain classes have advantages.  Like this one for example: we're working on term papers...we've turned them in already so there's nothing to do for the rest of the nine weeks since grades are being turned in soon!!!  Why does it matter? I'm a senior and I dont have to worry bout my grades....they're GREAT!!!

825596398[/snapback]

Sounds like you need another class if you finished a term paper that quickly.

And hey, other schools do not allow playing on the net during school hours!

825596721[/snapback]

I finished my term paper in about a month and a half!!! And I dont need anymore classes. Out of 7 hours a day I have 7 classes, no study halls. I dont play on the internet either. If the school didnt want this website on here they would block it.

Guest ladyfalcon10

825596721[/snapback]

I go to school at Lake County, and us surfing the web had nothing to do with these posts. Why can't everybody just keep talking about our teams, instead of smarting off the each other on here. It all comes to everybody cheering their teams. No matter what game you go to you are going to,you hear boos and negative remarks. Just to let this known I am not at school on the internet writing this, I get out early to go to work when I am finished with all my classes. This is an advantage of being a SENIOR. Also you say other schools do not allow playing on the net, then how is peabodymom making all these quotes. She says she sees Doaks everyday at school, so this means she is at work at school and finds time to write all the quotes. I am not trying to be smart at all with this, but I am making a point. Just like everyone has said they are proud of their team that is why they cheer. Yes I am from Lake Co. I go to school their, and I am proud of it. No matter what people say about Lake Co. I would never be ashamed to say I am from Lake Co. it has offered me alot of things in my life. I am about to graduate High School from their and advance to college. If Lake County was so bad, I would not be able to further my education and go to college. So lets give this Lake Co. and Peabody nonsense go to rest. We are as good as Peabody, and they are as good as us. This post is not going to just the person I replied to, this is for everyone that makes misjudgements towards anybody on this site.

I go to school at Lake County, and us surfing the web had nothing to do with these posts.  Why can't everybody just keep talking about our teams, instead of smarting off the each other on here.  It all comes to everybody cheering their teams.  No matter what game you go to you are going to,you hear boos and negative remarks.  Just to let this known I am not at school on the internet writing this, I get out early to go to work when I am finished with all my classes.  This is an advantage of being a SENIOR.  Also you say other schools do not allow playing on the net, then how is peabodymom making all these quotes.  She says she sees Doaks everyday at school, so this means she is at work at school and finds time to write all the quotes.  I am not trying to be smart at all with this, but I am making a point.  Just like everyone has said they are proud of their team that is why they cheer.  Yes I am from Lake Co.  I go to school their, and I am proud of it.  No matter what people say about Lake Co. I would never be ashamed to say I am from Lake Co. it has offered me alot of things in my life.  I am about to graduate High School from their and advance to college.  If Lake County was so bad, I would not be able to further my education and go to college.  So lets give this Lake Co. and Peabody nonsense go to rest.  We are as good as Peabody, and they are as good as us.  This post is not going to just the person I replied to, this is for everyone that makes misjudgements towards anybody on this site.

825596862[/snapback]

You are so right!!!

I would have to agree with what was said in the post earlier. Im an alum from Lake County High School and now enrolled at Lambuth Univeristy were two other students have done the same. But when it comes down to it we get serious about our sports team. Even though the girls Basketball team gets overlooked sometimes which doesnt mean we aint proud of a decent season they put up.

Lake county has been know for their sports such as football but that program WAS in declined when i was there until they brought in Coach David Barger and even though we had a 3-7 record he got the ball rolling again with community involvement once again. And i believe that it spilled over into the other sports which is great from our small county. We dont have to many years where we are actually on top of a sport but this year football and basketball were and are on top. So we got to take the opp. to be part of something good hopefully it will be a state appearance.