Waverly & McEwen both eyeing substate

swamptiger

Waverly and McEwen both playing for berths in the substate. What a great year for boys basketball in Humphreys County. It's still a shame these two schools only 8 miles apart don't play each other. What a shame for all the fans of both schools who would love to see the Tigers & Warriors playing each other every year. Regardless, best of luck to our neighbors to the east in your game against Ezell. Hopefully, both schools will make it to the Boro together. Congrats also to Daniel Puckett on the Mr Basketball nomination, a well deserved honor.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is definatly a shame that we can not play the warriors, i think it would be a good match up. And yes you are exactly correct in saying this has been a great year for boys basketball in Humphreys Co.

825595898[/snapback]

I think it is a shame too. We haven't played one another in sports since I was in first or second grade. (Believe me, that was a long time ago). Ha! We have scrimmaged them a lot, and even play them in softball, baseball, and volleyball. But football and basketball have been off the schedule for quite a while now. I think the rivalry between the two schools is a heathly one. I think that both teams would have definitely benefit by playing one another this year in basketball. McEwen could have dropped a weaker team like Big Sandy and played Waverly instead. I agree it is an exciting time for us in Humphreys County, and we are pulling for those to our west as well. Good luck Waverly. Go Warriors!!!!! thumb

I think it is a shame too.  We haven't played one another in sports since I was in first or second grade.  (Believe me, that was a long time ago).  Ha!  We have scrimmaged them a lot, and even play them in softball, baseball, and volleyball.  But football and basketball have been off the schedule for quite a while now.  I think the rivalry between the two schools is a heathly one.  I think that both teams would have definitely benefit by playing one another this year in basketball.  McEwen could have dropped a weaker team like Big Sandy and played Waverly instead.  I agree it is an exciting time for us in Humphreys County, and we are pulling for those to our west as well.  Good luck Waverly.  Go Warriors!!!!! thumb

825596016[/snapback]

I agree with you totally and think McEwen would have definitely helped themselves by playing Waverly and dropping some of the weaker schools they play, not to mention it would have been two packed gyms to see those games. I hate that McEwen's season ended the way it did. There are some fine young men that play there. Hopefully, Waverly can carry the banner for Humphreys County.

I agree with you totally and think McEwen would have definitely helped themselves by playing Waverly and dropping some of the weaker schools they play, not to mention it would have been two packed gyms to see those games. I hate that McEwen's season ended the way it did. There are some fine young men that play there. Hopefully, Waverly can carry the banner for Humphreys County.

825599211[/snapback]

Like I said in another thread... McEwen had a good team, however they didnt take the steps to become a great team. They played one of the weakest schedules in the state of Tennessee and didnt play any games over their Christmas Holiday. I am unsure the reasoning why they dont come out of their comfort zone (Easy Wins) but it seriously hurts them each year when it comes tournament time...

Seasons over, Life goes on, Daniel Puckett moves onto Tulane...

You are only as great as you prepare yourself to be.....

Edited by Sportster

Like I said in another thread... McEwen had a good team, however they didnt take the steps to become a great team. They played one of the weakest schedules in the state of Tennessee and didnt play any games over their Christmas Holiday. I am unsure the reasoning why they dont come out of their comfort zone (Easy Wins) but it seriously hurts them each year when it comes tournament time...

825599282[/snapback]

wait... i thought he was goin to be president?

825599282[/snapback]

You can't exactly blame McEwen for being iced in over Christmas. Teams have bad nights, McEwen wasn't exactly on fire. Crap happens. Still got a good team next year, and some Tulane ball to watch.

Why hate???? Just take it for what it is...a team with an extremely limited enrollment made a great run with one of the best players this area has seen in a long time. Let it be...why not say, "Congrats to McEwen on a good season and leave it at that?" Must be one of those people that got beat by McEwen or one that wished he could have played for such a team.

William H. Bonnie

KING REX