Franklin Announcement Soon?

FHSrebel27

We've always had receivers... they should only be better!

Franklin adds Kevin Dyson to coaching staff

By JEFF LOCKRIDGE

Staff Writer

Franklin is the latest Williamson County high school to enhance its football program by adding a former Titan to its coaching staff.

Kevin Dyson has joined the Rebels as a volunteer assistant and will serve as the team's receivers coach. Dyson caught passes for the Titans from 1998-2002 and will be remembered for his role in the Music City Miracle during the 1999 playoff run to the Super Bowl.

Dyson will also get a hand from former teammate Joey Kent, who will be at Franklin practices when his job permits.

Frank Wycheck is a volunteer assistant at Battle Ground Academy and Rayna Stewart helps out at Centennial.

''This is kind of like a passion of mine,'' Dyson said. ''Me and my brother (Andre) have our camp in Utah and I get to instill some things I've learned. I've been doing it ever since I turned pro, going back to college and helping some of the receivers. It's something to undertake after football is done for me.''

Dyson is holding out hope that he will have a job in the NFL this fall, which would indefinitely delay his coaching days. He recently returned from a workout in Tampa and could soon be headed to Washington for another. Dyson has also received a phone call from Detroit.

''I tell people it's like being on the edge of the pool with your feet in the water,'' Dyson said. ''I want to play given the right circumstances. But at the same time, with me being out most of last year and getting older, my chances are slimmer.''

Dyson's connection to Franklin is assistant principal Todd Campbell, a former Western Kentucky football player. Campbell and Kent are best friends thanks to their wives, who were college roommates at Tennessee, where Dyson's wife also attended school.

The three men struck up a conversation at the birthday party of Kent's daughter, 1-year-old Saba, a few months ago.

''Kevin was saying how interested he was at getting into coaching,'' Campbell said. ''I said, 'Why don't you come to my school.' I had been asking Joey for a while. I guess the following week I asked Kevin if he was serious. I told him to come to school and I'd introduce him to Principal (Willie) Dickerson.''

Dyson and Kent will be assisting former Hopkinsville (Ky.) Coach Craig Clayton, named as the replacement for Tim Johnson last month. Clayton has promised to open up the offense, giving the Rebels' receivers a bigger role.

Franklin was state runner-up in Class 5A last season.

''I think the players are loving it,'' Franklin Athletics Director Marlon Ruck said. ''We've got some receivers that have good speed and Kevin's going to be a good example of somebody they'll want to listen to. Any time you can get somebody in the big leagues to volunteer time, it's a great thing.''

The Rebels start spring practice next Wednesday. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic