Franklin Announcement Soon?

FHSrebel27

I agree with Wave88.  You should be happy with this new coach and his style of offense.  He had Hopkinsville a playoff participant every year.  He liked to throw the ball alot and mix in enough run so not to get complacenent.  Should be a good fit.  The fan support from Franklin will be a big plus too.  Not too mention having a stadium all his own.  (Hopkinsville shared their stadium with Christian County, Ky)

825623450[/snapback]

Looks like we got someone that's just going to continue our winning ways then! I have a real good feeling about Coach Clayton... especially with everything y'all have said.

And GWAVE, did ya notice even your fellow Gallatin fans are making light remarks now? I love it. That game will forever be remember by all those involved. Franklin and Gallatin will be playing 20 years down the road and they'll still be talkin' about the night the lights went out in Gallatin. It seriously was one of the BEST playoff games I've ever seen.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we got someone that's just going to continue our winning ways then! I have a real good feeling about Coach Clayton... especially with everything y'all have said.

And GWAVE, did ya notice even your fellow Gallatin fans are making light remarks now? I love it. That game will forever be remember by all those involved. Franklin and Gallatin will be playing 20 years down the road and they'll still be talkin' about the night the lights went out in Gallatin. It seriously was one of the BEST playoff games I've ever seen.

825624156[/snapback]

I thought you might get a kick out of that. The new coach will open it up like no one has seen in Tn High School football. from what I remember once he finds the weak db he will exploit it until the other team can get help to his side and then he will attack one on one with his best rec. You guys will have an air show from the days of Dan Fouts and the San Diego Chargers of old. His offense is real tough to defend.

Like most things, I've got a different take on this issue!

This guy may be God's gift to coaching and he may be the perfect fit for Franklin but why is it that so many coaches are retiring from Georgia and Kentucky and then moving North or South into Tennessee to draw a second check? Don't we have plenty of qualified younger (or middle aged) coaches who can do the job? Someone said they had over 80 applicants for the job, so why hire a guy who you know is only going to be around a few years before he retires a second time? I have a friend in Kentucky near Ft. Campbell who said the guy is a great coach but he wants to draw that second check and his retirement money too so he can build a new house. I guess that's as good a motive as any but why not hire boys or men from good old Tennessee? Tim got the job done and I'm sure there were lots of men just like him from surronding programs who applied for the job!

Another thing, do you really think Coach Danny is going to have them throw the ball 15-25 times a game if he is the OC? I doubt it!

Coach Calhoun, I wish you well and welcome to Tennessee. My comments are not aimed at you, but at the decision process that schools in Tennessee make. I think if the situation was in reverse you might understand how some of us in the coaching community feel. As a retired coach with many friends in Franklin, I wish you well and I hope the Rebels win state next year!

Like most things, I've got a different take on this issue!

This guy may be God's gift to coaching and he may be the perfect fit for Franklin but why is it that so many coaches are retiring from Georgia and Kentucky and then moving North or South into Tennessee to draw a second check?  Don't we have plenty of qualified younger (or middle aged) coaches who can do the job?  Someone said they had over 80 applicants for the job, so why hire a guy who you know is only going to be around a few years before he retires a second time?  I have a friend in Kentucky near Ft. Campbell who said the guy is a great coach but he wants to draw that second check and his retirement money too so he can build a new house.  I guess that's as good a motive as any but why not hire boys or men from good old Tennessee? Tim got the job done and I'm sure there were lots of men just like him from surronding programs who applied for the job!

Another thing, do you really think Coach Danny is going to have them throw the ball 15-25 times a game if he is the OC? I doubt it!

Coach Calhoun, I wish you well and welcome to Tennessee. My comments are not aimed at you, but at the decision process that schools in Tennessee make. I think if the situation was in reverse you might understand how some of us in the coaching community feel. As a retired coach with many friends in Franklin, I wish you well and I hope the Rebels win state next year!

825624510[/snapback]

I'm sure this must seem like an intrusion to the fraternity of coaches within TN and certainly those within Middle TN, and if the shoe were on the other foot the KY coaches would feel no different.

When the dust settles I would love to find out where all the applicants were from. I know that many were from out of state and some from outside of the Southeast. I think Ms. Dickerson's job was to hire the best candidate regardless and from what I have read of this person on the net, I'd say she has done just that! Williamson County is a very transient community, while many of the educators are home grown, many of the parents are "Dam Yankees" and would not have been opposed to a coach from Conneticut if he had had Coach Clayton's track record.

Do I really think that Danny would pass 15-25 times a game? At this point I still do not know whether he will be coaching in Franklin or Pulaski. I am simply greatful to God that our prayers were answered and that he is recovering and will be able to coach somewhere in the Fall. Where ever Danny ends up he will bring a wonderfully creative offensive mind to the program and will adapt that creativity to the personnel he finds himself with. If there is a more dedicated, harder working, more intense, more knowledgable coach anywhere I'd like to meet him.

To Danny's credit he will throw zero times or thirty times a game depending on the personnel he finds, not based upon a predisposed idea of an ideal game plan for all. At Franklin Danny finds himself with a much more seasoned QB in Michael Mikrut, who has gone from never taking a snap in his life, to taking his team to the State Championship game. There are a host of talented receivers who will not be shy about asking for the ball, so yes, if Danny stays at Franklin I would hope to see the ball thrown 25 times a game and I would hope that half of those would be more than 10 yards up field.

Coach Clayton has (from what I read) a record of being a QB's coach, his UK top recruit had some 2500 yds passing and over 1000 yards rushing. If you go back to last year and read my posts about Mikrut you will see that I believed then and I certainly believe now that he is capable of those type numbers. Danny, rather than relying on an unproven QB chose to put the ball more in the hands of RB Darrien Waters. In hindsight had Franklin thrown deep on Riverdale, (something they did sparingly all season) they may have had a better chance.

If you want to know who will be impressive in 2005, look to Michael Mikrut and John Hewitt as a dangerous combination!

Edited by BigDogDaddy

I'm sure this must seem like an intrusion to the fraternity of coaches within TN and certainly those within Middle TN, and if the shoe were on the other foot the KY coaches would feel no different.

When the dust settles I would love to find out where all the applicants were from. I know that many were from out of state and some from outside of the Southeast. I think Ms. Dickerson's job was to hire the best candidate regardless and from what I have read of this person on the net, I'd say she has done just that! Williamson County is a very transient community, while many of the educators are home grown, many of the parents are "Dam Yankees" and would not have been opposed to a coach from Conneticut if he had had Coach Clayton's track record.

Do I really think that Danny would pass 15-25 times a game? At this point I still do not know whether he will be coaching in Franklin or Pulaski. I am simply greatful to God that our prayers were answered and that he is recovering and will be able to coach somewhere in the Fall. Where ever Danny ends up he will bring a wonderfully creative offensive mind to the program and will adapt that creativity to the personnel he finds himself with. If there is a more dedicated, harder working, more intense, more knowledgable coach anywhere I'd like to meet him.

To Danny's credit he will throw zero times or thirty times a game depending on the personnel he finds, not based upon a predisposed idea of an ideal game plan for all. At Franklin Danny finds himself with a much more seasoned QB in Michael Mikrut, who has gone from never taking a snap in his life, to taking his team to the State Championship game. There are a host of talented receivers who will not be shy about asking for the ball, so yes, if Danny stays at Franklin I would hope to see the ball thrown 25 times a game and I would hope that half of those would be more than 10 yards up field.

Coach Clayton has (from what I read) a record of being a QB's coach, his UK top recruit had some 2500 yds passing and over 1000 yards rushing. If you go back to last year and read my posts about Mikrut you will see that I believed then and I certainly believe now that he is capable of those type numbers. Danny, rather than relying on an unproven QB chose to put the ball more in the hands of RB Darrien Waters. In hindsight had Franklin thrown deep on Riverdale, (something they did sparingly all season) they may have had a better chance.

If you want to know who will be impressive in 2005, look to Michael Mikrut and John Hewitt as a dangerous combination!

825624965[/snapback]

Only thing is that R'dale did not give them time to set up to throw deep. The line did the best they could and I congratulate them for it, but they were up against a machine. I look forward to this season and how it turns out and a re-match in the BCB.

Good luck Coach and Welcome to Tennessee!

Why do you Franklin folks want a pass happy offense? You win with a good defense and a strong running game. Riverdale has dominated Tn. 5a football because of defense and running the football effectively. Seldom do they throw the ball more than 15 times a game sometimes less than 10. For the first time you get to the 5a championship game and now you want to go to some pass happy offense. I think your new coach will do a .good job, but if I read correctly he has never won a championship. High School Championships are won with a great Def, and a strong rushing game. The last 2 years you got beat in the playoffs by teams who throw very little. You get to the championship game by throwing very little and now you want to change. does'nt make sense to me. Riverdale and Germantown beat you the last 2 yrs not because you could not pass the ball but because you could not rush the ball or stop the rush against those teams.

Franklin in 2001 went 5-6. Tim Johnson enters in 2002 with a staff that makes our offense a PASSING offense and we go 11-2. We have PASSING offense in 2003 and we reach the semifinals for the first time ever. Last year, we bring in a new defensive coordinator and the offensive style changes due to personnel differences from the two previous seasons.

If we had the defense of last year in 2002 and 2003... I can't imagine what kind of a beast the Rebels would have been. Look at Franklin 2005 and I think we'll see what it could have been like!

It's not that we WANT to be pass happy. Being pass happy will suit the players we have next year more than a ground-based game. Sure, we've been defeated by two ground-based teams the past couple years, but so what? I think FHS proved that you can don't HAVE to have the same style year in and year out to be good. We were successful through the air in 02 and 03 and successful on the ground last season.

You can win both ways!

So you are saying your skill people are that good. I don't think so, your QB is average to good probably a 1aa prospect and your receivers are unproven. Riverdale has run the same offense ever since Rankin has been their, their something to say about consistency. You can add wrinkles but you can,t change schemes every year. The fact is defense and running the ball win high school championships not fun and gun.

So you are saying your skill people are that good. I don't think so, your QB is average to good probably a 1aa prospect and your receivers are unproven. Riverdale has run the same offense ever since Rankin has been their, their something to say about consistency. You can add wrinkles but you can,t change schemes every year. The fact is defense and running the ball win high school championships not fun and gun.

825625668[/snapback]

First let me say that Brentwood, Riverdale, Germantown, and Franklin all had great defenses that got them to the championship game. From what I saw in the BCBS game, Riverdale has tremendous athletes. Far greater than anything Franklin could put on a field. So if we want to beat superior athletes we better do something besides trying to be superiorly athletic (running it up the gut). Creativity might just come into play. Maybe a half back throw back or a fumbleroosky or a 55 yard field goal kicker might give us an edge ....who knows but sticking to the run when we have the talent to go up and get the ball well, we'll see. Don't pre judge our average QB ...he hasn't been given the freedom to freelance that comes with experience.

I know I'm old school and it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but def. and running the ball win championships. The last 2 yrs Franklin has had a great football team. I pull for them in every game except when they play Riverdale I graduated from their in 1976, played football under Coach Phil Watts. My wife graduated from Franklin in 1975 so I'm not a Franklin basher, but I just don't believe you have to make such significant changes to get to the promise land.You have been at the doorstep twice just keep on working hard and eventually you will win the big one. Good Luck to your new coach and go Rebels except when they play Riverdale. Oh yeah my son plays for Eagleville H.S. They should do well in region 5 1a this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Franklin has demonstrated the ability to adjust their offensive scheme based on the talent available in a given year, under the guidance of Tim Johnson and Danny Nowell.

I know of at least one other school in Wilco that could learn from Franklin's success.

Relative to what we will see from the Franklin bunch this year will be determined by a New Head Coach and OC if he doen't handle that roll himself. What concerns me is what I have been reading that it is preconceived as to what that scheme is going to be, without truly evaluating the talent available with his own eyes.

Franklin graduated strong leadership and talent at multiple positions, but similar to the past 2 years when the same could be said - this next years team has what it takes to step into the roles departed.

The new coach will soon realize the flexibility he will have, and create the offense best suited to the talent available.

I look forward to seeing the product on the field - now as an alumni parent!

Edited by faninthestand