Soccer vs. Football

Keeper

Oh man- don't get me started. Ok well for now lets just agree to disagree. But I do like your comment that any sport is better than idle hands (as the saying goes- they are the devils workshop…)

825606499[/snapback]

I'm not trying to get you started. I have played both and that was just my opinion. I remember most of the guys I played football with, soccer is another story. If you played both you would understand that there is a different respect for who you played football with than soccer.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In soccer all you have to do is chase a ball around and kick it." Even though the the wall's statement was blatently a stereotype, goldentide79's statement was as well. If you were to play the sport which seems obviously so easy in your mind, you'd find out differently. Sure, you can go out there and go "chase the ball." But this "bubble bee" soccer, played mostly by ages 4-10, is outclassed by the idea of shape or formation. With this formation, space is more efficiently used and the team begins to let the "ball do the work" instead of absent mindingly "chasing the ball." While football allows time in between plays, soccer is always changing, always moving, and that is why I believe so many people find the sport to be eloquent and beautiful. Now don't believe me to be overally bias. I myself have played both. Football is also a game of beauty. Instead of flowing movement, it takes "hours in the trenchs", "blood, sweat, and tears", and a considerable amount of preperation. It truelly is a sort of physicall chess game, each team trying to out manuever the other on each play. However, I strongly disagree with the notion that soccer is a mere sport of "kicking the ball around." The intellect needed to be able to quickly process information as a ball is coming to you is an aquired skill. Just as pass catching/throwing is in football. Each sport has its respective skills. Each sport has its respective beauties. Instead of essentially trying to "out do" each side of the arguement, I think people can appreciate both games for the amount of time neccessary to become profiecient in both. Trust me, alot else happens in soccer other than people just "chasing the ball around and kicking it." If it were that simple, I'd have alot more success to my name. Likewise, football is simply not a game of dumb guys running into each other. Anyone whos played football would know otherwise. Its a game of speed, technique, and just simply outworking the other player and their team. Instead of argueing and expressing strong bias, people should look at both sports as completly seperate...and beautiful as well.

Edited by jstone14

"In soccer all you have to do is chase a ball around and kick it." Even though the the wall's statement was blatently a stereotype, goldentide79's statement was as well. If you were to play the sport which seems obviously so easy in your mind, you'd find out differently. Sure, you can go out there and go "chase the ball." But this "bubble bee" soccer, played mostly by ages 4-10, is outclassed by the idea of shape or formation. With this formation, space is more efficiently used and the team begins to let the "ball do the work" instead of absent mindingly "chasing the ball." While football allows time in between plays, soccer is always changing, always moving, and that is why I believe so many people find the sport to be eloquent and beautiful. Now don't believe me to be overally bias. I myself have played both. Football is also a game of beauty. Instead of flowing movement, it takes "hours in the trenchs", "blood, sweat, and tears", and a considerable amount of preperation. It truelly is a sort of physicall chess game, each team trying to out manuever the other on each play. However, I strongly disagree with the notion that soccer is a mere sport of "kicking the ball around." The intellect needed to be able to quickly process information as a ball is coming to you is an aquired skill. Just as pass catching/throwing is in football. Each sport has its respective skills. Each sport has its respective beauties. Instead of essentially trying to "out do" each side of the arguement, I think people can appreciate both games for the amount of time neccessary to become profiecient in both. Trust me, alot else happens in soccer other than people just "chasing the ball around and kicking it." If it were that simple, I'd have alot more success to my name. Likewise, football is simply not a game of dumb guys running into each other. Anyone whos played football would know otherwise. Its a game of speed, technique, and just simply outworking the other player and their team. Instead of argueing and expressing strong bias, people should look at both sports as completly seperate...and beautiful as well.

825606555[/snapback]

Very well said. I will take back that statement. I know that I don't understand soccer as well as I do football. Like I said before, "It is something positive in our young peoples lives."

I totally agree. It goes alot farther than simply the sport. Getting people active is always important. I'm sure that although I've played football, I simply to not understand all the "nooks and cranys" of the game either. However, what I do know is that once you put those pads on before the game, it makes all that preperation worth it. Likewise, lacing up my cleats before games and sliding in shinguards still gives me goosebumps. The feeling goes above the game and into a sort of mentall stimulation of accomplishment. Football and soccer both wield this sort of brain reaction. That is why so many people feverntly love both.

Nothing checks you out like football.  It takes all 11 players to make the offense, defense, or special teams work.  As for your comment about football players being dumb, you have no idea.  In soccer all you have to do is chase a ball around and kick it.  In football you must know what the play is and know how to run it.  I know it takes good foot skill and agility to be good but it takes a mentally and physically tough person to put on the pads.  Its is the closest thing to boot camp that any other sport.  The good thing with both sport and any other sport is that it is a positive thing for kids to do with all the negative things that go on in the world today.

825606490[/snapback]

i can't disagree with that you have to remember plays and get timing down and what not, and i know it isn't as easy as it looks, but about the putting on the pads, i've played football games plenty of times without pads with a bunch of soccer players and we play both sides of the ball and really go at, i know it isn't as rough as a real football game but i think football player's toughness is a little overrated

Toughness is all relative though. What may seem hard to some, might come quite easily to others. When we would run sprints at the end of practice, most (all) of the linemen found it very hard while others simply glided through. For the linemen, that part of practice was tough. But for the other lanky people like me, the drills like Oklahoma were physically tough because of the beating served up from huge guys on the line. The same can be said for soccer. Some may find the running harder than some while others struggle with basic mental "toughness." Toughness is pretty hard to specify because it varies from person to person. However, to run for 80 mins straight takes a tough guy...but so it takes alot of toughness to stand in a football game and get hit by guys running at you all game.

i can't disagree with that you have to remember plays and get timing down and what not, and i know it isn't as easy as it looks, but about the putting on the pads, i've played football games plenty of times without pads with a bunch of soccer players and we play both sides of the ball and really go at, i know it isn't as rough as a real football game but i think football player's toughness is a little overrated

825606661[/snapback]

You said it right there "real football". Case closed!!!!

I have played both and on the issue of mental toughness or whatever I am going to have to go with soccer. Sure, you have to memorize the plays etc, which I think is very difficult, but at the same time these plays tell you what to do and don't leave it up to you to determine what next. Soccer the decision making is all you. You have to be on your toes at all times, the only thing a coach can do is put you in a position. They cannot call the play, this breeds more crafty and creative play from the players. That's my thought.

I play both football and soccer and I love them both. I love football for the simple fact that i get to hit people real hard and that gives me a weird high. And i love soccer because hardly nothing is scripted, you have to think about alot of stuff all at once and there are an innumerable amount of decisions that you can make.

Actually in football, most positions have reads, where they have to make a decision. This is not seen at the high school level as much, but I mean such as someone blitzing or a receiver with an option route. I have played both though, and one thing about soccer I believe most of the time it's more team related. In football, you can have one star player that will carry you pretty far, such as a runningback or QB. Of course, they have to have linemen and receivers, but games usually depend on the star.

Both are good though, and I don't think one is considered better than the other, both fun to play and fun to watch.