Soccer vs. Football

Keeper

I would just like to comment that soccer is probably more of a thinking man's game, and football is more rote memorization. On the offensive side of football you know what the play is and you have practiced the exact movements over and over again until your a machine. I would say that defense and soccer have a lot in common. You've got to recognize different situations and adapt accordingly. If you want a sport that really hurts try runnig some middle distance track. It's not the same kind of pain but just as bad, if your good enough. Just my .02 but go ahead and light me up.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have played both quaterback and keeper for the past seven years. i have learned the ups and downs of both sports.

to be a good football player you have to spend all most as much time off the feild studying your opponent as you do on the feild playing. the spare time between plays allows for much more changes and counteractions that the game of soccer allows. this makes the game much more of a chess match than soccer. most spectators dont realize the things that are happening during a single play of football. it is far from the barbarric actions that you see on tv. i will tell you that there are few feelings better than studying an opponent so much that as you walk up to the line you can already tell who will be wide open and where. this is what makes football so great. it isnt so much about each players individual abilities (how many super bowls has payton manning won?) as it is about a team and their coaches to counter their opponents moves.

Soccer is not the total opposite of football but there are some major differences. since there are very few breaks in the game it is much less about countering what your opponent is doing. instead it is a game of posession. the team which controls the ball longer will usually win the game. in soccer each individual player must react to the way his man or the men in his zone are playing but the whole team goes through very little changes through the coarse of the game. soccer is also a game that requires a large amount of patience. if a football team has a plan that doesnt work they must quickly and constantly change. in soccer, however, a team must acquire a solid gameplan and then stick with it. the only changes will generally be made by defenders guarding different forward.

the two sports are equally good for their different reasons. football is obviously more fun to watch, and if you understand the game it can be great to see in person and watch the reads and coverages. soccer, i would have to say, is more fun to play. it is played so that mistakes can be made without causing a huge swing in momentum. and because of the lack of scoring it can make for some very close games.

this is my opinion only. i have only based it on what i know. feel free to give me yours.

Nothing checks you out like football.  It takes all 11 players to make the offense, defense, or special teams work.  As for your comment about football players being dumb, you have no idea.  In soccer all you have to do is chase a ball around and kick it.  In football you must know what the play is and know how to run it.  I know it takes good foot skill and agility to be good but it takes a mentally and physically tough person to put on the pads.  Its is the closest thing to boot camp that any other sport.  The good thing with both sport and any other sport is that it is a positive thing for kids to do with all the negative things that go on in the world today.

825606490[/snapback]

Dude im pretty sure you picked the wrong forum to add the comment about soccer in. Sorry but your just not gonna win that one.... :ph34r:

"football is obviously more fun to watch, and if you understand the game it can be great to see in person and watch the reads and coverages. soccer, i would have to say, is more fun to play. it is played so that mistakes can be made without causing a huge swing in momentum. and because of the lack of scoring it can make for some very close games."

825608103[/snapback]

I get frustraited watching either sport. I would rather be playing than watching- but thats not always an option.

I played football for the past 6 years. I have played soccer for 2. What sticks out the most to me is the level of intensity that soccer seems to lack. Everyone jokes around and goofs off. You don't realy see that with most football teams. I love soccer but I believe it takes more of a man to play football. Because you don't have 11 guys from the other team trying to rip your legs out everytime the ball is in play like in football. The closest you can get to football in soccer is at the goalkeeper position. And thats why I love playing keeper.

i can't disagree with that you have to remember plays and get timing down and what not, and i know it isn't as easy as it looks, but about the putting on the pads, i've played football games plenty of times without pads with a bunch of soccer players and we play both sides of the ball and really go at, i know it isn't as rough as a real football game but i think football player's toughness is a little overrated

825606661[/snapback]

Why don't you give two-a-days a shot in full pads in late July early August, then tell me we are overrated.

Why don't you give two-a-days a shot in full pads in late July early August, then tell me we are overrated.

825609804[/snapback]

actually i dont think 2 a days in full pads in late july is all that bad. even 3 a days. i started playing football my freshman year and i love it. but i have such an easier time than my non-soccer playing football teammates in the 2 and 3 a day practices. soccer has toughened me up. actually the 4 players that were always leading the way in football conditioning were soccer players. 2 of whom were strictly kickers, and me and the other guy skill players. so what football players say about the difficult football practices is either a great exaggeration, or they lack the toughness that only soccer players posess.

Soccer players are the most athletic athletes of any sport. No sport can compete with the constant running and then full out sprits that every soccer player has to run. However, Football is a physicaly tougher game. I can not believe all the injuries that professional football players play with. AN example of this is our own Steve McNair, look at all the injuries that this man has played with through out his career. If that was to happen to you or I we would be in bed indefinitely.

As for mental toughness, all sports demand a high level of it. You have to be a able to make a mistake (which you will, don't care who you are) that might cost a goal or a touchdown and play up to your abilities the next time. Although it seems simple, anyone that has ever played a team sport knows how hard this really is to achieve.

Anyways both sports are good sports, soccer is probably better to play and football is probably better to watch.

First of all, I never really understood the scoring in football. How is 1 touchdown 6pts?! Anyway, I think that soccer players are more physically tough. A soccer game is 80 mins (for hs), but football games are only 48 mins (hs). I'm sure everybody can tell that 80 is bigger than 48. Also, though, it is true that not all 11 players play the entire game (football and soccer), but it's i think it's safe to say that more soccer players are playing the 80 mins than football players playing 48 mins (make sense??) It seems to me that a football game is really just a game between two people (the coaches!)

Football and soccer seem to both be equal in mental toughness, though. I have never played football, but i've played soccer all of high school. And this is just how it looks to me.

Edited by tonkau