Smith county girls

lynard

I've been around Smith County a bunch and I've worked down there before and I have family that works in the school systems and other places throughout the county. The good ol' boy system is alive and well down there. They very much believe that if you scratch their back then they will scratch yours. If you are someone from outside of the county then you will never recieve a fair shake. One great example is Rick Spivey. The best basketball mind that has ever came in down there and he got run out of town.

825615658[/snapback]

Nobody ran Rick Spivey out of town. He left for more money and (what he thought was) a better opportunity at Cookeville for himself and his family. Who can blame him for that? He could have stayed as long as he wanted.

As for the "good ole boy" system....someone from Macon County is saying that to us. That's hilarious. ;) As of now the football coach and principal is from LA...the boys coach is from Gordonsville, the girls baskeball and softball coach is from Gatlinburg. Not sure where the baseball coach is from...certainly not here. Where is this "good ole boy" system?

Edited by Antwan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody ran Rick Spivey out of town.  He left for more money and (what he thought was) a better opportunity at Cookeville for himself and his family. Who can blame him for that? He could have stayed as long as he wanted. 

As for the "good ole boy" system....someone from Macon County is saying that to us.  That's hilarious.  ;)  As of now the football coach and principal is from LA...the boys coach is from Gordonsville, the girls baskeball and softball coach is from Gatlinburg. Not sure where the baseball coach is from...certainly not here.  Where is this "good ole boy" system?

825615742[/snapback]

Spivey left for the Gallatin area... STATION CAMP!! Not up on your facts!

"But just to set the record straight, Every small county around this area is on the good ole' boy system..." Sorry if thats not what you want to hear but its the truth.

Spivey left for the Gallatin area... STATION CAMP!! Not up on your facts!

"But just to set the record straight, Every small county around this area is on the good ole' boy system..." Sorry if thats not what you want to hear but its the truth.

825615809[/snapback]

Spivey left for Cookeville(assistant's job). He went to Station Camp the next year.

Yeah...I'm pretty well up on that.

Spivey left for Cookeville(assistant's job).  He went to Station Camp the next year. 

Yeah...I'm pretty well up on that.

825615822[/snapback]

Well when I was in school with him still there, we always kidded him in PE about not leaving the SC logo... Smith County to Station Camp! Don't know why that would be then, huh... you are prolly right, but I know before the end of year I never heard about Cookeville, but we always kidded about Station Camp...

Well when I was in school with him still there, we always kidded him in PE about not leaving the SC logo... Smith County to Station Camp! Don't know why that would be then, huh... you are prolly right, but I know before the end of year I never heard about Cookeville, but we always kidded about Station Camp...

825615864[/snapback]

He coached at Cookeville under Kevin Bray for one year. I'm positve about this one.

He is doing a very good job at Station Camp. He went there to start up the program. He may have already been selected for the Staiion Camp job...I don't know.

Stimpy, I like your post on the first page....I thought the same thing!

825615881[/snapback]

I guess the difference is who is posting on this thread. :P

I go back to what I said one of the threads that was deleted. Whatever it was that Dodgen did to get fired, it was not serious enough that he be removed as softball coach. I'm confident that whatever excuse was used for his termination (and regardless of the vernacular, he was fired), the underlying reasons were personal, and probably the only people who will know the whole story are those directly involved.

I also said on the other thread that I did not care too much for some of Coach Dodgen's antics on the court, however I can't deny that he did a great job with the program at Smith County. I don't know the man personally, but the few times I spoke with him away from the basketball court, he seemed personable and polite. Every man deserves a second chance and I hope he goes somewhere and makes the best of his second chance.

Broman, this is probably on its way to deletion now.

I guess the difference is who is posting on this thread. :P

I go back to what I said one of the threads that was deleted.  Whatever it was that Dodgen did to get fired, it was not serious enough that he be removed as softball coach.  I'm confident that whatever excuse was used for his termination (and regardless of the vernacular, he was fired), the underlying reasons were personal, and probably the only people who will know the whole story are those directly involved. 

I also said on the other thread that I did not care too much for some of Coach Dodgen's antics on the court, however I can't deny that he did a great job with the program at Smith County.  I don't know the man personally, but the few times I spoke with him away from the basketball court, he seemed personable and polite.  Every man deserves a second chance and I hope he goes somewhere and makes the best of his second chance. 

Broman, this is probably on its way to deletion now.

825615927[/snapback]

One thing we can agree on is that we both hope Dodgen gets another chance somewhere else. He was not rehired as teacher/girls basketball coach/softball coach. In his case...they are synonymous. If I were him...I would be happy to find out now instead of later.