Baylor Baseball

chatttown54321

yeah and i love it when y'all say baylor doesn't recruit.  everybody knows he was recruited, and about his "scholarship."  i guess that's why red bank's coach is sore.

825619609[/snapback]

I know Coty and his dad. His dad works alot of hours for Coty to attend Baylor.

Coty came to Baylor for educational reasons. He is a 3.8 or 3.9 student at Baylor. All the kids on this Baylor team except for a few, played Dixie Youth Baseball on Lookout Mountain, Signal Mountain and Red Bank. A few played Dizzy Dean. Baylor gives no scholarships. They do give financial aid. Anyone can apply and receive it. The TSSAA can and does check on each student at Baylor, McCallie and other schools. I guess they recruited Wes Hodges, Kane Simmons and others? Wrong! As for Celis, Baylor has students attending from over 20 countries world wide. He just choose to play baseball. He was no stand out, just another player and a good guy as well. Is that too simple to believe. Chris Wright played catcher in front of him. When Chris played center field, Celis played catcher. Just like on any other area team. It sure is funny how urban legend grows these thoughts of

cheating and stacking teams. Is life no fun unless we sow seeds of distrust and

doubt at each other. "Play ball and have fun". Soon its the real world we live in!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coty came to Baylor for educational reasons. He is a 3.8 or 3.9 student at Baylor. All the kids on this Baylor team except for a few, played Dixie Youth Baseball on Lookout Mountain, Signal Mountain and Red Bank. A few played Dizzy Dean. Baylor gives no scholarships. They do give financial aid. Anyone can apply and receive it. The TSSAA can and does check on each student at Baylor, McCallie and other schools. I guess they recruited Wes Hodges, Kane Simmons and others? Wrong! As for Celis, Baylor has students attending from over 20 countries world wide. He just choose to play baseball. He was no stand out, just another player and a good guy as well. Is that too simple to believe. Chris Wright played catcher in front of him. When Chris played center field, Celis played catcher. Just like on any other area team. It sure is funny how urban legend grows these thoughts of

doubt at each other. "Play ball and have fun". Soon its the real world we live in!

825619774[/snapback]

We're not going to turn this into a Public vs. Private argument! There is an entire board for that. You are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. You'll never get me to buy that just because I know and have known COACHES at both schools that have participated and the players that were involved. But I'm not complaining, that's just the way it is. The school I support can beat both of those schools in most sports on any given day, so there is no problem here. But, I'm easy - I can agree to disagree.

Edited by GradfromtheNest

i think we can all come to a happy medium, but public schools outright have seen what private schools have done in the past, and private schools stand on their heels and defend the comments directed towards them... so like grad said, let's drop this discussion and if some posters are so inclined on the public v. private debate, head to the board generated for that reason.

825619774[/snapback]

Okay, before this gets out of hand, let me just say that Coty is a good kid and a good player. No doubt, he'll shine in college some day. But let's be honest. I won't call any names here, but the truth should be posted somewhere, and it might as well be here.

A certain public middle school player made the public high school team just before his freshman year. THE DAY BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED, he switched to a well known private school (which usually won't admit anyone after March). The public school coach and the player's classmates had no idea this was going to happen. It later was revealed that a prominent local citizen (also a parent at the private school) took care of the situation by funding a scholarship for the player.

So certain private schools may not "recruit." But if they want an athlete bad enough, they will find a way to get him.

And then there's the inner city players, but that's another story for another thread.

I read where Stout, the new kid at Baylor, was 3-4..anybody got any details?  What's he like?

825618624[/snapback]

Stout is a special player who will have a positive impact on Baylor Baseball this spring. He's flown under the radar screen but I think people will see his DI ability very soon. He's team oriented, plays hard, and loves the game. As well, Stout is multipositional and from what I saw a solid P. I look for him to have big year for the Red Raiders.

We're not going to turn this into a Public vs. Private argument! There is an entire board for that. You are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. You'll never get me to buy that just because I know and have known COACHES at both schools that have participated and the players that were involved. But I'm not complaining, that's just the way it is. The school I support can beat both of those schools in most sports on any given day, so there is no problem here. But, I'm easy - I can agree to disagree.

It is a shame that people care so much about winning and losing of a sport that they have to go to the extreme of using names. What did Coty do to ever deserve this? He has nothing to do with this. Coty is probably one of the smartest people i know at Baylor. As for you Grad, it is terrible that a 20 + man sits on a high school message board all day bragging about his alma mater and bashing private schools. I do believe some schools recruite for certain sports, but i can tell you for a fact that Coach Gene Etter or Baylor has nothing to do with it. If a player gets aid it is probably from an outside source. Now im not saying hixon and Ooltewah are not good teams. I think they are. I'm just saying its a shame that a great sports like baseball has gotten so competative that teams won't play each other simply because the fact that they don't believe the playing field is "fair" or are afraid of losing.

It is a shame that people care so much about winning and losing of a sport that they have to go to the extreme of using names. What did Coty do to ever deserve this? He has nothing to do with this. Coty is probably one of the smartest people i know at Baylor. As for you Grad, it is terrible that a 20 + man sits on a high school message board all day bragging about his alma mater and bashing private schools. I do believe some schools recruite for certain sports, but i can tell you for a fact that Coach Gene Etter or Baylor has nothing to do with it. If a player gets aid it is probably from an outside source. Now im not saying hixon and Ooltewah are not good teams. I think they are. I'm just saying its a shame that a great sports like baseball has gotten so competative that teams won't play each other simply because the fact that they don't believe the playing field is "fair" or are afraid of losing.

825620015[/snapback]

Grad, you gonna take that smack?

baylorboy, it's all a matter of how you say it. They may not recruit, as in go to middle schools and try to talk a kid into coming to a private school. But like you say, "outside sources" get the job done. So no matter what you call it, Baylor can go out and get who they want, while the public schools have to take whoever walks in the door, including the kids the private schools toss out.

Grad, you gonna take that smack? 

baylorboy, it's all a matter of how you say it.  They may not recruit, as in go to middle schools and try to talk a kid into coming to a private school.  But like you say,  "outside sources" get the job done.  So no matter what you call it, Baylor can go out and get who they want, while the public schools have to take whoever walks in the door, including the kids the private schools toss out.

825620047[/snapback]

Haha, shoot yeah I can take it. He's got his panties in a wad because somebody said something bad about his school. If he had paid attention, I said I had no problem with them whether they recruited or not. I've had and still have many friends at Baylor, and I couldn't care less if they recruited or not. Like I said, I wanted to play them so I could add another win to my season! I know I know, I hear it from time to time. I'm a 20 year old college kid and shouldn't be on here. And as my usual response goes, I'm a 20 year old kid that graduated from a certain public school, received and appointment to, and went to the United State Air Force Academy - didn't like it, so I came home and enrolled in UTC. I coached baseball at a certain public school, and now I am coaching a completely different sport. I'm a Chemical Engineering Major who supports my alma mater and my brother who currently plays there. I have much much much less free time than BaylorBoy ever thought about having, but I always manage some time for CoachT.com! If BaylorBoy doesn't like it, he can just not read the boards. I support my team and baseball here in Chattanooga. BaylorBoy, please don't fall into that category of overprotected rich kid who can't handle even a smidge of negative feedback from an outsider.

Edited by GradfromtheNest

First of all GRAD not every baylor student is some rich kid. Going back to coty when he enrolled at Baylor our headmaster made sure recruiting wasnt going on. And Baylor does accept applicants all the way up to the end of the first semester. And many kids get accepted the day before school starts.

First of all GRAD not every baylor student is some rich kid.  Going back to coty when he enrolled at Baylor our headmaster made sure recruiting wasnt going on.  And Baylor does accept applicants all the way up to the end of the first semester.  And many kids get accepted the day before school starts.

825620171[/snapback]

I am aware of that - that's why I said, do not FALL into that category. I never said every kid was.

Haha, shoot yeah I can take it. He's got his panties in a wad because somebody said something bad about his school. If he had paid attention, I said I had no problem with them whether they recruited or not. I've had and still have many friends at Baylor, and I couldn't care less if they recruited or not. Like I said, I wanted to play them so I could add another win to my season! I know I know, I hear it from time to time. I'm a 20 year old college kid and shouldn't be on here. And as my usual response goes, I'm a 20 year old kid that graduated from a certain public school, received and appointment to, and went to the United State Air Force Academy - didn't like it, so I came home and enrolled in UTC. I coached baseball at a certain public school, and now I am coaching a completely different sport. I'm a Chemical Engineering Major who supports my alma mater and my brother who currently plays there. I have much much much less free time than BaylorBoy ever thought about having, but I always manage some time for CoachT.com! If BaylorBoy doesn't like it, he can just not read the boards. I support my team and baseball here in Chattanooga. BaylorBoy, please don't fall into that category of overprotected rich kid who can't handle even a smidge of negative feedback from an outsider.

Be careful, I'm getting ready to shut this down!