Opinion on Referees

Muffin_Man11

To say that refs do not show up at games with their minds already set against or for a certain team is not true either.

I hope you're saying this is the exception and not the rule. Any ref who consistently exhibited this type of behavior wouldn't be reffing long.

825625030[/snapback]

Agreed! And not trying to be argumentative with you because I do not disagree with anything that you have said. Just speaking from what I have seen and heard and giving another perspective on the issue.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To say that refs do not show up at games with their minds already set against or for a certain team is not true either.

I hope you're saying this is the exception and not the rule. Any ref who consistently exhibited this type of behavior wouldn't be reffing long.

825625030[/snapback]

I think that most games there is not a sense of bias, however, in games with a highly respected and successful program there is often a bias that has the ref letting the respected team get the benefit of the doubt and not the other team. These are the "overweight" refs that do this, but in games that are very important (state games), the best refs are there and do a great job considering the circumstances. As the best teams are quick, talented, and know the game well enough to get away with a foul (shielding the ball).

OK, I will jump in here. I'm a TSSAA referee in addition to a USSF referee and I started as an AYSO referee. I still ref in USSF and TSSAA games. First, a little background. It is true that you can be a TSSAA ref by applying, getting two coaches or school official references and passing an open book test. However, you cannot ref any playoff games without passing a closed book test every year and attending a state sponsored rules meeting. More importantly, our assignor is going to start you slowly with AR positions on easier games and work your way up. Our local organization, TVSRA, also strongly recommends that all of us also have USSF certification and the vast majority do. Now for a few points:

1. Some schools prefer the 2 ref dual system, however, usually when 2 refs are assigned instead of three it's purely due to availability.

2. I like the dual system personally but it requires more running and concentration.

3. I doubt any of us do this for the money. $50 for a center and $40 for an AR is hardly worth some of the grief we have to endure. I do it because I love soccer and like to be involved and happen to think I generally do a good job and keep the game fair.

4. My main gripe with my colleagues is conditioning and keeping up with play. I will miss some calls but I'm not going to miss it because I'm out of position. Nothing aggravates me more than seeing a center ref call a foul from 30 or 40 yards away(especially a PK.)

5. Overall, I think the refs here in East TN do a very good job and our assignor is very good at placing the more experienced refs in the bigger games and playoffs as she should. When players start complaining about the refs they typically lose focus on the game and their play falters.

Good luck, I'll probably see you guys out there on the pitch someday...and I will call it fair.

;)

Edited by MD4Sports

Guest GraceDAD
Dude, you don't have the call out the refs name.  Just state your case and get on with your point.

825625582[/snapback]

Why not name the bad refs? I think there are some very good refs, but those that aren't doing well need to be identified. Maybe that will make them get their act together. Or maybe it will let them re-think WHY they are a ref to start with. I seriously doubt they are there for the money, so I'm going to assume it's for the love of the game... but, like anything else, time can make them get a little lazy or burnt out. IF they're not there for the right reason, then maybe they should re-think what they are doing...so, naming a bad ref isn't necessarily a negative thing.

Why not name the bad refs?  I think there are some very good refs, but those that aren't doing well need to be identified.  Maybe that will make them get their act together.  Or maybe it will let them re-think WHY they are a ref to start with.  I seriously doubt they are there for the money, so I'm going to assume it's for the love of the game... but, like anything else, time can make them get a little lazy or burnt out.  IF they're not there for the right reason, then maybe they should re-think what they are doing...so, naming a bad ref isn't necessarily a negative thing.

825625851[/snapback]

I have to ask, did you ever play soccer? As I said, I've played in hundreds of games, reffed at least 100 rec games and seen hundreds more. I sit in the stands or play on the field and listen to parents who don't have a clue regarding rules bellowing from the stands and have never played the game. All they know is that someone took the ball away from their Johnny and there must have been a foul because Johnny is such a good player. I'll always remember the fan sitting in the stands aleast 100 yards away ball screaming at the top of his lungs that the referree who was 10 feet away from the foul had it wrong.

Edited by bluesoccer

Why not name the bad refs?  I think there are some very good refs, but those that aren't doing well need to be identified.  Maybe that will make them get their act together.  Or maybe it will let them re-think WHY they are a ref to start with.  I seriously doubt they are there for the money, so I'm going to assume it's for the love of the game... but, like anything else, time can make them get a little lazy or burnt out.  IF they're not there for the right reason, then maybe they should re-think what they are doing...so, naming a bad ref isn't necessarily a negative thing.

825625851[/snapback]

You will not be able to name them on here. Naming a ref on here is not appropriate because it is solely your opinion and may be based on a particularly difficult loss, not fact. The definition of a bad ref, to many, is whoever the ref was the last time they lost.

If you want them identified then go up to them or their supervisor and let them know who you are and how you feel. Then both parties will have been identified.

A question for players:

Do you not go to certain games knowing that from the very first kick the other team is going to whine on every call and flop all over the ground every time you bump one of them? If the official agrees with them on a call then you are upset. If he doesn't then they are upset.

My point being, the best officials know how to ignore these things and limit it as the game goes on. However, can you expect perfection from them in this type of atmosphere?