Top 25 Historical Teams in Tennessee

Me, too. Alcoa has 151 wins since 1993. I know they have been playing Maryville since the late '20s, so with at least 65 or so other years of playing football, Alcoa should be over 500 wins, assuming an average of 5-6 wins per year.

I'd bet that Alcoa has many more wins than 500. They have state titles in '89, '79, '78, '77. They have an outstanding playoff record in 21 appearances. The Goodpasture broadcast from last year's title game gave their all-time postseason record but I can't remember exactly what it was in all honesty.

I don't know if the '71 team was better than the '72, but I think that the '72 team is probably the most dominate high school football team I have seen. I remember them crushing a very good Knoxville Central team in the '72 playoffs at Neyland stadium. I think that Central was undefeated that year dominating their competition, and they really did not even give TH a game.

DB has accomplished too many things to be excluded from the list. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Tennessee High was declared National Champs in 1972, although most argue '71 was the better team. I know they scrimmaged Gate City one of those years. A Tennessee High player from the early '70s said the Vikes won that scrimmage, but I have no way of verifying that his statement is true.

I don't know if the '71 team was better than the '72, but I think that the '72 team is probably the most dominate high school football team I have seen. I remember them crushing a very good Knoxville Central team in the '72 playoffs at Neyland stadium. I think that Central was undefeated that year dominating their competition, and they really did not even give TH a game.

In '71, MBA had one of the most dominating teams in their history. Three of their players started for 3 years on Vanderbilt's '73-'75 teams, all three of which were more than respectable. Covington came into Nashville and beat MBA 31-13 in an excellent game. I would have sworn that Covongton would win it all. Instead, they played at Bristol the next week, and got slaughtered. I would have loved to have seen the '71 Tennessee High team, but only at a distance.

In '71, MBA had one of the most dominating teams in their history. Three of their players started for 3 years on Vanderbilt's '73-'75 teams, all three of which were more than respectable. Covington came into Nashville and beat MBA 31-13 in an excellent game. I would have sworn that Covongton would win it all. Instead, they played at Bristol the next week, and got slaughtered. I would have loved to have seen the '71 Tennessee High team, but only at a distance.

Sorry to correct you, but MBA lost to Covington 20-13, and the game turned on an ill advised pass into the short flat that was intercepted and returned for a TD. The week before, MBA was ranked 1st in the state and Ryan was ranked 2nd. They played a very emotional game at Dudley Field with MBA prevailing 24-3. Against Covington, MBA was out-coached and out-played, and Covington was a deserved winner. However, all the players will tell you that they went into the game over-confident and looking forward to Bristol. I do not know if they would have beaten Bristol, but I know they would have given them a much better game than Covington did. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

I can only speak from an East Tennessee perspective..and mean no dis-respect to anybody

Give THS credit they did win a Nat'l Championship.... how ever that works. They were strong for a couple of years.

However take those couple of years out and it's all about DB, Oak Ridge and Maryville. No question.

Dig deeper and you will find a history rich in tradition at DB that few nationally much less state wide can even come close. If you are speaking modern age like the last couple of decades then you may have a case. This may be the stuff that chaps some folks. Arrogance or what ever but the truth is the DB program is one of the greatest in the state period. All time winningest and number 21 nationally. The tradition began with some great teams teams 1920's. I am not a DB football walking talking historian as to the likes of Art Vandalay ...Art this thread was made for you...But there are many names to pick from but one that quickly comes to mind is DB's own Bobby Dodd. Google him.. Oak Ridge mirrored their football program around the DB program from the team colors to the offense they began with. That has to be one of the best games in the state of Tennessee year in and year out.

Maryville in recent years has the program to be modeled after. They do a terrific job.

I can only speak from an East Tennessee perspective..and mean no dis-respect to anybody

Give THS credit they did win a Nat'l Championship.... how ever that works. They were strong for a couple of years.

However take those couple of years out and it's all about DB, Oak Ridge and Maryville. No question.

Dig deeper and you will find a history rich in tradition at DB that few nationally much less state wide can even come close. If you are speaking modern age like the last couple of decades then you may have a case. This may be the stuff that chaps some folks. Arrogance or what ever but the truth is the DB program is one of the greatest in the state period. All time winningest and number 21 nationally. The tradition began with some great teams teams 1920's. I am not a DB football walking talking historian as to the likes of Art Vandalay ...Art this thread was made for you...But there are many names to pick from but one that quickly comes to mind is DB's own Bobby Dodd. Google him.. Oak Ridge mirrored their football program around the DB program from the team colors to the offense they began with. That has to be one of the best games in the state of Tennessee year in and year out.

Maryville in recent years has the program to be modeled after. They do a terrific job.

DB Records

Do you know the teams and region MBA competed in around that time?

Do you know the teams and region MBA competed in around that time?

In the three class days, MBA competed in 11-AAA. I know that was the district it was in in the early 1980s; I assume it was the same district in 1971 based on the teams on MBA's schedule that year.

1971 (10-1)

MBA 59 Glencliff 12

MBA 34 Hillwood 7

MBA 28 Overton 18

MBA 34 Franklin 0

MBA 42 Hillsboro 13

MBA 35 Brownsville 7

MBA 34 Springfield 8

MBA 45 Pearl 6

MBA 42 Antioch 7

MBA 24 Father Ryan 3

MBA 13 Covington 21

MBA Scores 1970-1999

Sorry to correct you, but MBA lost to Covington 20-13, and the game turned on an ill advised pass into the short flat that was intercepted and returned for a TD. The week before, MBA was ranked 1st in the state and Ryan was ranked 2nd. They played a very emotional game at Dudley Field with MBA prevailing 24-3. Against Covington, MBA was out-coached and out-played, and Covington was a deserved winner. However, all the players will tell you that they went into the game over-confident and looking forward to Bristol. I do not know if they would have beaten Bristol, but I know they would have given them a much better game than Covington did. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Bad typing on my part...I thought the score was 21-13. Be charitable...I was 10 years old, and it was really cold that night. And since Fred Fisher was my hero at the time, I certainly wasn't going to say that it was an intercepted pass that cost them the game. And your description of it is exactly right. That's probably the only bad pass I ever saw him throw at MBA.