Top 25 Historical Teams in Tennessee

I do think it's odd that I brought this up. Go back and read the thread, I didn't bring it up, I just clarified it. And it wasn't too long ago that Tn High and GC played a series. Ask the Viking guy how that turned out. They had to quit scheduling Central too which they played back a few years ago. I wish you'd come prepared to debate a little better.

Are you serious! Debating you is like debating the 6yr. old little girl across the street. I guarantee she knows more about high school football than you do. :roflol I am personal friends with two former GC players off the '74 team and they have given me the scoop on GC football many times as they are still pretty close to the program. So the fact that you know nothing about the way they do business and the fact that I do pretty much ends any debate before it even gets started. Gate City will NOT schedule any team from across the state line that they are not sure they can beat. Tennessee High has a much better program now than they did when the "GC series" was played. Do you see a "series" now ? No you don't. They call it "scheduling smart". Thats right out of their coaches mouth, his exact words. To bad he couldn't pick his oponent in last years 52-0 playoff loss on the Virginia side. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

True. You don't really get to know someone until you've "lived" with them! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Or got beat by them 13 times in a row. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Are you serious! Debating you is like debating the 6yr. old little girl across the street. I guarantee she knows more about high school football than you do. :roflol I am personal friends with two former GC players off the '74 team and they have given me the scoop on GC football many times as they are still pretty close to the program. So the fact that you know nothing about the way they do business and the fact that I do pretty much ends any debate before it even gets started. Gate City will NOT schedule any team from across the state line that they are not sure they can beat. Tennessee High has a much better program now than they did when the "GC series" was played. Do you see a "series" now ? No you don't. They call it "scheduling smart". Thats right out of their coaches mouth, his exact words. To bad he couldn't pick his oponent in last years 52-0 playoff loss on the Virginia side. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Now wait just a minute..........is it "scheduling smart" or is it "smart scheduling"? I'm confused. Anyways, I'll leave it be since I don't want another D-B mod to close a good thread. P.S. Stay away from the 6 year old girl across the street!! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Now wait just a minute..........is it "scheduling smart" or is it "smart scheduling"? I'm confused. Anyways, I'll leave it be since I don't want another D-B mod to close a good thread. P.S. Stay away from the 6 year old girl across the street!! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Can you tell me what a "mod" is?

Ha! Shows how much you know...it's Inglewood. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Actually, it's an excellent inclusion, although I don't remember their last few years as being all that great (although I was between 7-10, and Litton wasn't one of the schools my dad and I followed.

Among closed schools, Murfressboro Central would be a good addition, and possibly Pearl as well. With Pearl in mind, I'd love to hear some input on some of the top black schools before desegregation.

One black school that great success was Bruce h.s..in Dyersburg..they played all the top Memphis black teams, a few from Ky,Il. every year winning 90% of their games for many years..whites watched Bruce play n blacks would watch DHS play.

as I have stated earlier in this thread Dyersburg has produced as many wins as many on the list ..

DHS from late 30" thru middle 50"s was the powerhouse in West Tennessee football as was Bruce..no one wanted to play either of these teams during that era outside of their conference foes,..

like most threads its all about East TN N Middle Tn teams save for Milan and a 3-4 from Memphis whom all deserve it. To most its all about since playoffs started in 1969, # of state titles as thats all they can remember due to their age.

teamdyersburg.com is working to rectify the Dyersburg all time wins / losses/ties on their new website. It may take awhile but they"ll get it.

I suppose your 7-10 year old memory is like mine..unconditional as i was told in early part of this thread..I like you know what Im stating on this thread..

NUFF SAID /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

It has become quiet on the boards lately, especially with it being the dead period. So I thought I would attempt to make a list of the top 25 historical teams in the state of Tennessee to help generate some talking. The list is intended to encompass all great teams of the past. I attempted to exclude teams that have been subpar throughout the years, although 2008 will be "their year." /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> The list is in no particular order. Do you agree? Disagree? Any comments?

1. MBA Big Red

Year football was established: circa 1899???

State Championships: 9

2nd Winningest team in the state of Tennessee

MBA in my opinion is a team that should belong in everyone's top 25 poll, maybe top 5 poll. They're consistently a tough team and they play other top teams from around the nation.

2. Alcoa Tornadoes

State Championships: 9

Alcoa has been a force in 2A for several years and a top team in the state.

3. Chattanooga Central Pounders

State Championships: 6

They have struggled lately, but six state titles is impressive.

4. Maryville Rebels

State Championships: 11

60 Game Winning Streak

3rd Winningest Program in Tennessee

They have won the past 4 state titles in 4A and a top notch coaching staff.

5. Milan Bulldogs

State Championships: 4

6. Brentwood Academy Eagles

State Championships: 10

Brentwood Academy is another top 5 team. They are one of four teams to win back to back state titles in the highest classification.

7. MUS

State Championships: 3

8. Tennessee High Vikings

National Championships: 1

State Championships: 2

Year football was established: 1900, recorded 1911

Old Nicknames: Maroon and White Machine, Warriors, Adamites

The Vikings have been playing football for quite some time. One of four teams to win back to back state championships at the highest classification. Declared National Champions in 1972.

9. Cleveland Blue Raiders

The Blue Raiders won back to back to back state titles in 4A from 1993 to 1995.

10. Riverdale Warriors

Riverdale has been a 5A powerhouse throughout the years.

11. South Pittsburgh Pirates

12. Marion County Warriors

13. Melrose Golden Wildcats

14. Germantown Red Devils

15. Austin East Roadrunners

16. Fulton Falcons

Very good 3A team.

17. Battle Ground Academy Wildcats

They have had subpar teams lately.

18. Lincoln County Falcons

19. Oak Ridge Wildcats

State Championships: 7

Oak Ridge is one of only 3 teams to ever be declared national champions and one of only four teams to win back to back state championships at the highest classification.

20. Shelbyville Bedford County Training

Undefeated for 82 consecutive games.

52 consecutive shutouts. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

21. Gallatin Green Wave

22. Baylor Red Raiders

State Championships: 1

4th Winningest Program in Tennessee

23. Trousdale County Yellowjackets

24. Dobyns-Bennett Indians

Winningest Program in Tennessee

Old Nicknames: Magicians??

Few People can spell their name correctly /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Great team with tradition. One of the best football atmospheres in the state.

25. David Lipscomb Mustangs

I'm not sure if the order should go the way it goes... but definatly think all the teams earned there right to be on here

Tennessee High is always a tough team, but if you insist on us not playing them so much find a team to play us. No one else will. Tennessee High is the only one man enough to play us. Unlike South. So for now I'm content playing a good football team in Tennessee High.

Sweetwater should be considered.

- 51 year record (1956-2007): 412 - 164 - 10.

- 3 State Championships (1971, 1972, 1993)

- During the decade of the 70's - Sweetwater was a dominating team with a 97-15 record, 2 state champs(1971, 1972), 1 state runner-up (1970). Team W/L record from 1970 - 79 ,/// 12-1, 12-1, 13-0, 6-4, 9-2, 8-2, 8-1, 9-1,

, 11-2, 9-1 ......... 26 play-off appearances since 1970.