Top 25 Historical Teams in Tennessee

And, DBT, before you start putting down Va teams, you better look and see which state puts out more college players. Especially, D-1A. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well not a hater of either team. Enjoyed my time in Kingsport watching both teams.

However most of the D-1A you refer to is not coming form SW VA. It's coming from the Hampton Roads side of the state. I'm sitting across from a SW VA football player and he agrees. The studs are coming out of VA beach, Richmond area and south of DC.

But nice shot and the truth.

To bad it's not helping U of VA. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Well to tell the truth when Madiosn opened it took away a lot of talent then Maplewood came a long. Madison became a power house in the 60's.

Very true; I couldn't tell you when Madison opened. If you try to picture the area from overhead, you'd have Madison and Dupont on Old Hickory Blvd, on opposite sides of Gallatin Rd, and East and Litton down Gallatin Rd, not too far away. You could probably throw in Maplewood and Goodlettsville on Dickerson Rd. That makes for 6 pretty good teams in a very small area. Small wonder there were some great rivalries in those days.

First of all..what a great topic this is. As to the original list all those schools have very good traditions and its hard to argue their place on the list. But it does seem like it is Middle and East Tennessee biased. Only 4 teams listed west of the TN River. I`d add Haywood High School and also Jackson Central-Merry (especially if you consider the old Jackson High Golden Bears teams before consolidation). The Cougars/Golden Bears have had great success and Brownsville has always been a hot bed of talent and was coached for years by nationally renowned Coach John Hooper.

VolunteerGeneral Its Very Biased as I stated earlier in this thread..if your team isnt from East or Middle Tn no recogition is granted. I remember well the Great teams Hooper had at Brownsvile ..lost very few games in 16-17 years at Brownsville..most years they were undefeated.. I recollect Hooper set a record for number of wins in consecitive seasons .. I personally know them well..we DHS started playing Brownsvile and Jackson Central in 1958..didnt do well against either of them..Hooper was a genuis for his time>> 1st team to run the split -t set backfield >> only team I ever played against that had nylon,silk uniforms..Brownsville was always loaded with extremely fast backs,great blocking schemes..much like one sees from DL today using 6-7 different plays over and over drubbing ya like a drum..they had numerous players that played D-1,D-11 college ball..

Jackson Central ran the single-wing to perfection at that time..always had a great running back ,good blocking rubbed my nose in ground as they always ran up the middle with 4-5 coming at me.. in those good ole days nearly every year both played for the Big-TEN Championship..

ole well nothing ventured, nothing gained !!

Well not a hater of either team. Enjoyed my time in Kingsport watching both teams.

However most of the D-1A you refer to is not coming form SW VA. It's coming from the Hampton Roads side of the state. I'm sitting across from a SW VA football player and he agrees. The studs are coming out of VA beach, Richmond area and south of DC.

To bad it's not helping U of VA. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Good post. Exactly right too.

I'm "spewing my opinion" because GC was brought into it. I'm sorry your home town paper puts us on the front page more than they do you, but we have no control over that. You shouldn't let that cloud your vision.

Not sure how many got scholarships, but their QB was a freshman and is awesome. They graduated the majority of their playmakers so we'll see how he does with fewer options.

If I were you I wouldn't be in any big hurry to find out.

VolunteerGeneral Its Very Biased as I stated earlier in this thread..if your team isnt from East or Middle Tn no recogition is granted. I remember well the Great teams Hooper had at Brownsvile ..lost very few games in 16-17 years at Brownsville..most years they were undefeated.. I recollect Hooper set a record for number of wins in consecitive seasons .. I personally know them well..we DHS started playing Brownsvile and Jackson Central in 1958..didnt do well against either of them..Hooper was a genuis for his time>> 1st team to run the staight -t set backfield >> only team I ever played against that had nylon,silk uniforms..Brownsville was always loaded with extremely fast backs,great blocking schemes..much like one sees from DL today using 6-7 different plays over and over drubbing ya like a drum..they had numerous players that played D-1,D-11 college ball..

Jackson Central ran the single-wing to perfection at that time..always had a great running back ,good blocking rubbed my nose in ground as they always ran up the middle with 4-5 coming at me.. in those good ole days nearly every year both played for the Big-TEN Championship..

ole well nothing ventured, nothing gained !!

DHS, you assume that there is prejudice. A variety of things helped make it clear which teams belonged on the list; state championships and victories were an important factor. Unfortunately East and Middle TN have an adantage or "bias" in that aspect. It's impossible to include every team in a "top 25" poll. Now that there is a solid list, it is necessary to argue your points in regard to the teams on the list. Compare and contrast Brownsville, Haywood, and JCM with the teams and help us decide which teams shouldn't be on the list. In my opinion and according to TSSAA, JCM and Jackson are/were separate teams. Jackson has two state titles and certainly has consideration, but we need to conclude which "top 25" team is inferior.

this post should not include the likesof private schools MBA BA etc- i mean cmon now lets be serious here - i am sure if lil sisters of the poor high school located in anytown tennessee could recruit players i am sure they would make the list

Don't go there. Those Chattanooga Central teams of the '50's, when most of those championships were won, had players from all over, including Georgia.

So do some of the public school teams today. Don't tell me that a kid goes to some of the perennial public school powers for the education. And, just so we're clear, 4mrlbr means "former (Central) Pounder"

I think this was a great thread with an impossible goal.

It is beginning to get a little tiring.

Based on a combination of modern era playoff and national title rankings can we agree the top three from an era standpoint are:

Maryville (00's)

Tennessee High (70's)

M-Riverdale (90's)

Who from the 80's?

I think this was a great thread with an impossible goal.

It is beginning to get a little tiring.

Based on a combination of modern era playoff and national title rankings can we agree the top three from an era standpoint are:

Maryville (00's)

Tennessee High (70's)

M-Riverdale (90's)

Who from the 80's?

Strong and fair assumptions.

Exactly correct. That area of Va up there is a hotbed! It rivals some of the top areas in all of the U.S. But, let's not forget a few good ones from little ole SWVa..........Heath Miller, Thomas and Julius Jones to name a few of late. But, this thread isn't about SWVa or even Va for that matter so let's leave it be. I was just trying to help defend my good buddies over there after someone drug 'em into this mess. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="