West High School's next Head Coach

SGHSAlum93

I wish I saw the same "Tarzan" players you are talking about.

#Delusional

You are delusional if you think that Farragut should not have been better the last 2-3 years. I guess it has just become the status quo on that "side of town" in regards to football. No need to worry though, baseball should be getting fired up! Enjoy.

Thank you for actually getting this right. West wins with good talent mixed with some exceptional talent and most importantly now with some success - good depth. The coaches put the right kids in the right positions and give them the tools to win. To say that West just rolls the ball out there and just lets the athletes "do what you do" is a disservice to both the coaches and the players. Tennessee came to recruit at several West games this year - but they were mostly looking at and signing our opponents.

PS - George Bullock for President - man I miss him - a great kicker is a real weapon

Yeah I still remember that UT committ off John Sevier HWY flying off #7 trying to make a tackle when they played in November!

Also let's not forget West rarely plays anyone both ways when many teams do, which also helps with staying fresh and concentrating on one side of the ball. I hope the new coach stays with that strategy.

Go West!

Also let's not forget West rarely plays anyone both ways when many teams do, which also helps with staying fresh and concentrating on one side of the ball. I hope the new coach stays with that strategy.

Go West

Players played both ways quite frequently when I played back in 2009. Going towards one way players only has definitely helped as well.

Guest nothingelsematters

It seems that this topic like many other topics on the T has gotten off task. It has gone from a discussion on who will be the next coach at West (to replace the legendary Coach Cummings), to a discussion on how loaded West is with players ( and if Knox county politicians conspired to help the down trodden school get the players), and if Coach Cummings had a hand in coaching these players up to win a state title.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a real search with real interviews with real qualified coaches that are certified teachers or are they going to listen to the players and return to the T-ROD era with a non certified teacher to be the head coach. Where are you HTV when we need you to get us back on task and headed in the right direction to help West find a new HC. 

Ii seems that there was much more news/opinions about the Powell job than the West job. Has a decision already been made? HTV?

As far the forum discussion on how good a coach Cummings was at West vs the success being a product of Knox County School Board  favoritism toward West will be decided on the success of Cleveland and West on the football field in the near future.

It seems that this topic like many other topics on the T has gotten off task. It has gone from a discussion on who will be the next coach at West (to replace the legendary Coach Cummings), to a discussion on how loaded West is with players ( and if Knox county politicians conspired to help the down trodden school get the players), and if Coach Cummings had a hand in coaching these players up to win a state title.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a real search with real interviews with real qualified coaches that are certified teachers or are they going to listen to the players and return to the T-ROD era with a non certified teacher to be the head coach. Where are you HTV when we need you to get us back on task and headed in the right direction to help West find a new HC. 

Ii seems that there was much more news/opinions about the Powell job than the West job. Has a decision already been made? HTV?

As far the forum discussion on how good a coach Cummings was at West vs the success being a product of Knox County School Board  favoritism toward West will be decided on the success of Cleveland and West on the football field in the near future.

Odds favor an inside job!  May not be --------- but the odds favor that.

It's been surprisingly quiet.  The posting closed last Thursday, and I have talked to a handful of candidates whom I know have applied and not one of them have yet to get as much as an email or phone call.  I don't know for sure, but I don't think the West administration has made any contact with applicants yet.  My guess is that they will most likely begin doing something in terms of setting up interviews by the first of the week.  

I don't think it's a slam dunk that the "inside candidate", or should I say "inside candidates" since I know of more than one current assistant who has applied for the job.  I honestly believe that it will be a competitive process.  There are several good candidates, some with current or past head coaching experience and some very good up and coming coordinators and assistant coaches from the area.  

Yes, there is a search committee.  They have it narrowed down to a final list of 5 candidates and are in the process of setting up and conducting those interviews.

As for the talent at Cleveland, it looks to me like they just graduated about every starting position on the field last year.  From what I've been told,there's not a whole lot left, but the freshmen and middle school teams are good.  It will take a few years to learn the new schemes, develop the new starters, and build some depth. 

Edited by OakRidgeKat

Yes, there is a search committee. They have it narrowed down to a final list of 5 candidates and are in the process of setting up and conducting those interviews.

As for the talent at Cleveland, it looks to me like they just graduated about every starting position on the field last year. From what I've been told,there's not a whole lot left, but the freshmen and middle school teams are good. It will take a few years to learn the new schemes, develop the new starters, and build some depth.

Yeah they lost starters, doesn't mean they don't have talent. It will take a few years to learn Cummings system but talent will not be a issue.