West High School's next Head Coach

SGHSAlum93

He is leaving because he knows the talent pool is drying up and he will be back to the old ways of winning 7 games a year. He has done nothing special outside of when he is LOADED with talent, as he has been the 5 years. I am convinced that half the coaches in the Knox County Parks and Rec Youth Football League could have won as many games as Scott Cummings with all the talent West has had on its roster the last few years. He choked the state title game last year when he should've won. 

I know Cleveland has had a little talent the last few years so he MIGHT be ok, but I don't think he is by any means a great coach. But just ask him, he will tell you how good he is. 

As for the Fulton fan on here, I find it ironic that a Fulton fan is coming to the aid of the West football coach. You all have had several really good players on your roster the last 5 years that are zoned for West, but recruited to Fulton.

Also, keep the goofy hashtags coming!

If he only won 7 games a year, he still would have won more games than Farragut has over the last 5 years.  (35 vs 27). 

I truly find it humorous that anyone would look at West over the last 5 years and say they were LOADED with talent.  We have had some good players and a few exceptional ones, but to say we were LOADED is almost funny.  I can name more Farragut players that started at UT last year than I can West players - I guess that makes the Ads SUPER LOADED.  Why can't Farragut do any better than .500 when you are just SUPER LOADED with all kinds of D1 talent?  Imagine what Scott Cummings could have done at Farragut with all that SUPER LOADED talent.   

If he only won 7 games a year, he still would have won more games than Farragut has over the last 5 years.  (35 vs 27). 

I truly find it humorous that anyone would look at West over the last 5 years and say they were LOADED with talent.  We have had some good players and a few exceptional ones, but to say we were LOADED is almost funny.  I can name more Farragut players that started at UT last year than I can West players - I guess that makes the Ads SUPER LOADED.  Why can't Farragut do any better than .500 when you are just SUPER LOADED with all kinds of D1 talent?  Imagine what Scott Cummings could have done at Farragut with all that SUPER LOADED talent.   

If you seriously believe that Farragut has had more talent and athletes on its roster than West has had over the last 5 years, then you really do not know football or anything about athletics. You are ridiculous. 

I also see that you keep going on about winning for than Farragut, what does that have to do with Scott Cummings. I made a case for how badly Farragut has unachieved over the last 8-10 years.  Yes, West has been more successful over the past 5 years, mostly because of a much easier schedule and much more talent, but who cares.

He is leaving because he knows the talent pool is drying up and he will be back to the old ways of winning 7 games a year. He has done nothing special outside of when he is LOADED with talent, as he has been the 5 years. I am convinced that half the coaches in the Knox County Parks and Rec Youth Football League could have won as many games as Scott Cummings with all the talent West has had on its roster the last few years. He choked the state title game last year when he should've won. 

I know Cleveland has had a little talent the last few years so he MIGHT be ok, but I don't think he is by any means a great coach. But just ask him, he will tell you how good he is. 

As for the Fulton fan on here, I find it ironic that a Fulton fan is coming to the aid of the West football coach. You all have had several really good players on your roster the last 5 years that are zoned for West, but recruited to Fulton.

Also, keep the goofy hashtags coming!

Adalum 96 has some valid points here. The re-zoning just a few short years ago did help West & Hardin Valley.

West took some very good talent from Bearden's zone and Hardin Valley took from Farragut's, Bearden's and even Karn's zones.

I know several of the areas HS coaches fairly well, including Scott from the time he was a "tike". There is not a good one that will tell you that you can win a horse race (or football games) with plow horses only (or less talented players). You have to have thoroughbreds (very talented players) to win the big prize. West has had more talented players than the other Knox County high schools EXCEPT Fulton for the last few years. Talent will make almost any coach look good -- I can personally testify to that from many years ago.

If you seriously believe that Farragut has had more talent and athletes on its roster than West has had over the last 5 years, then you really do not know football or anything about athletics. You are ridiculous. 

I also see that you keep going on about winning for than Farragut, what does that have to do with Scott Cummings. I made a case for how badly Farragut has unachieved over the last 8-10 years.  Yes, West has been more successful over the past 5 years, mostly because of a much easier schedule and much more talent, but who cares.

I'll make it simple for you ad69 - a team's success is directly related to the team''s level of talent and coaching.  You can not be successful long term without a good combination of both.  To say that West's success is not in some way shape form or fashion directly attributed to solid coaching is just wrong.  You know nothing about the man or the program - other than watching your team lose to him and yet you feel comfortable discussing his reasons for leaving as if you know something. 

And yes - West's schedule has been much easier with you on it.  Your schedule on the other hand forced you to play the 5A STATE CHAMPION West Rebels - so yes - your schedule was MUCH harder.  All sarcasm aside - we played in the same district and pretty much had the same schedule - but don't let facts get in the way of your opinion.  I'll give you this one - you played 3 State Champs last year - not too shabby.   

Look at the bright side Ad69 - baseball is coming soon. 

Here's the way I see it...

You have to atleast be a pretty good coach to be successful and win a state title. Of course you also have to have the horses in the stable, but that goes without saying. I think it's obvious that Coach Cummings is a good one when you see how well west competed in 4AAA. If you think he is leaving because the talent pool is drying up you are mistaken. Have you seen that new district west will be in? It's a joke and Cummings and west could be district champs every year. If anything he is going into a tougher situation down at Cleveland because he will be up against stiffer competition.

Edited by Governors91

Guest nothingelsematters

HSfootballfan is right!  West getting Beardens zone compliments of Dr. Dan Murphy, Karen Carson, and the rest of the Knox County School Board helped West get players' They did make Scott"s job at West much easier and saved West High School from getting taken over by the Feds.  West was dying with its school zone and academics because the Sequoyah Hills people and old Bearden people did not want to go to school with the Marble City, Lonsdale, West Haven, Cumberland Estates, Pond Gap, Ridgedale, Etc. people. Solution is to take Westmoreland, New Westmoreland, West Hills, Dean Hill, Kingston Woods, Old Rocky Hill, New Rocky Hill, Northshore Drive and all of the lake to Tooles Bend and you have money and smarts to go with Sequoyah and old Bearden people. They did not have to pay for private school now. They were the majority now. But what really put West and Scott over the top was IB. Where would West and Scott be w/o IB and where would Nathan Cottrell have gone to school w/o IB. Gibbs/Halls? Cummings took the money and ran. He should give some back to the Knox County School Board to help pay for Macintyres buy out when the fire him because Channel 8 says its going to snow on Monday and Macintyre will screw it up again.

Don't worry whfl, merit, and the rest of the West High faithful, you are set for life. Knox County School Board has got you all set for life because now Bearden Middle School has IB now so you can get your recruits in 7th, 8th, and 9th grade . Maybe Cottrell has some little brothers. The next guy at West is set with players/recruits as long as he does not screw it up.

I don't really care that much about hs sports. I just wish I did not have to drive past BHS to get my children to WHS for school. The Pike and Southerland can get crowded.

Before Cummings took that program over at West High Football it was a total joke. I remember going to West and there wouldn't be enough fans on the West side to fill up a school bus and now the place is packed. That place has always had the kids but to get them out for football and to change the mindset in that school took a major under doing. Some on here act as if all he had to do was show up and call the plays which is baloney. Your major hurdle at West is discipline and it took years for Cummings to be able to take the Southerland Avenue out of the boy and to install discipline into those kids in order to win. Discipline is the secret to winning football games and that is why Maryville wins so much and was able to overcome being down 28-7 in the championship game and inch their way back and win it in the end. Discipline was the reason Henry County was able to hang on last year against West because it all showed up in the last two minutes or they would have won it. This year they were disciplined and it showed against Reah county and Hillsboro.

HSfootballfan is right!  West getting Beardens zone compliments of Dr. Dan Murphy, Karen Carson, and the rest of the Knox County School Board helped West get players' They did make Scott"s job at West much easier and saved West High School from getting taken over by the Feds.  West was dying with its school zone and academics because the Sequoyah Hills people and old Bearden people did not want to go to school with the Marble City, Lonsdale, West Haven, Cumberland Estates, Pond Gap, Ridgedale, Etc. people. Solution is to take Westmoreland, New Westmoreland, West Hills, Dean Hill, Kingston Woods, Old Rocky Hill, New Rocky Hill, Northshore Drive and all of the lake to Tooles Bend and you have money and smarts to go with Sequoyah and old Bearden people. They did not have to pay for private school now. They were the majority now. But what really put West and Scott over the top was IB. Where would West and Scott be w/o IB and where would Nathan Cottrell have gone to school w/o IB. Gibbs/Halls? Cummings took the money and ran. He should give some back to the Knox County School Board to help pay for Macintyres buy out when the fire him because Channel 8 says its going to snow on Monday and Macintyre will screw it up again.

Don't worry whfl, merit, and the rest of the West High faithful, you are set for life. Knox County School Board has got you all set for life because now Bearden Middle School has IB now so you can get your recruits in 7th, 8th, and 9th grade . Maybe Cottrell has some little brothers. The next guy at West is set with players/recruits as long as he does not screw it up.

I don't really care that much about hs sports. I just wish I did not have to drive past BHS to get my children to WHS for school. The Pike and Southerland can get crowded.

I remember you now - you got drunk after the West vs Bearden game and posted this same line of crap. I thought you said ole Scott missed his chance last year to win State and that he should have taken that Bearden job. Were you at least somewhat sober when you wrote this one? And yes - the IB program rules!

Before Cummings took that program over at West High Football it was a total joke. I remember going to West and there wouldn't be enough fans on the West side to fill up a school bus and now the place is packed.

I remember those days well. Outside of the run they had in 1994, West hasn't historically been a great program. I can remember Powell playing them in the late 90s, and I don't think we ever lost to them. They never had much of a home crowd either back then.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but HSfootballfan and nothingelsematters aren't entirely wrong. Yes, Cummings did a tremendous job building the program at West. However, rezoning certainly played a role, and we all know that there are some powerful political figures that live in that zone. I'm an academics guy first, I love the IB program, but it is no accident that Bearden MS now has one, in order to compliment the one at West.

Edited by osunut2