HS coaches overusing pitchers!

IrishCoffee

I think like the concussion learning curve, there will be one concerning the number of UCL tears in younger and younger players.  The net result is going to be restrictions at every level of play.  I'm a rub some dirt on it kind of guy too, but after seeing a couple of 14 year olds and several in the high school age group have Tommy John surgery I don't think we can continue on with a head in the sand sort of approach.

I wouldn't put these things just on the high school coach either.  Some of these kids are playing 100 games between high school, summer team and fall ball.  Some of these guys are pitching without restrictions and without much of a break and they're doing that from very young ages all the way through high school.  The arms are made the same as they were back in the day, we just didn't expose them to so many pitches.  If a kid can pitch year round, he better have stellar mechanics, a sound conditioning program and somebody looking out for him if he wants to stay healthy throughout his career.  Same could be said for catchers.

It also amazes me how many parents want their kids to get Tommy John because "it's going to happen eventually, anyways." That's insane. It really isn't the same schedule anymore, and specialization is probably hurting more than anything. Kids want to throw every pitch without actually mastering any of them and that's a huge problem.

I just don't think many players realize they don't an unlimited amount of pitches in their arms, and coaches hopefully take travel ball into account, but I would assume most feel they are getting "fresh arms" when baseball starts and that's not the case, especially now. I think the culture of "play through it" is also a tough line to deal with. I want kids to develop toughness and work ethic, but where is the line? I'm not asking in a demeaning way, but as a serious question. If a kid says "my shoulder is killing me", how does a coach lean in that situation? It feels like an impossible spot for them sometimes.

Edited by eyeintheskytn

That's the other thing in the high school coaches favor.  Most schools these days have access to a sports medicine staff.  Players need to understand if they're hurting or if they're injured.  There's a difference.  Coaches have to read if the kid is hurting because he gave up 4 earned runs that inning or if there's something else.  I say send them to the trainer and get a professional opinion whenever they complain of shoulder or elbow pain.  The sports medicine people will shut them down if that's required.

I'm more concerned about the kid who doesn't say anything and you have to read his body language to figure out what's wrong.