District 3A

gcapride

yea, like i said I know.... i saw the scores....one of the parents said CF also sat 3 or 4 starters and pitched their 4th or 5th pitcher against TP... so what does that score mean on a Monday in Region play? Not much. If it was the 3rd game of the week, teams from the tiny schools have zero chance....just dont have the arms or the older bodies. But on a monday, with a stud pitcher, they've got a 30-40% chance ( much less against GCA). Oneida made the state last year. CF has a few state tourney appearances ( and I'm nearly certain a state championship) following that formula. Now, teams like that gotta avoid GCA game one...cause GCA can score enough on a good pitcher and just has more "baseball" players. But against typical 1A teams....That one pitcher for those teams equalizes things a bit. You'll see a team just like that in the 1A state tourney this year from somewhere in the state.... just like a lot of years

You are right; Coalfied won the state in 1998. 

However, when you are talking about 1 player carrying a team from Morgan County, you are thinking about 94 Oakdale with Brad Howard. Oakdale didn't throw Howard against Coalfield that season, and let him pitch to get them into the regionals. Then he pitched Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to get them to the state (back then the regionals were single elimination. I think Oakdale won the games like 2-1, 3-2, and 1-0 or something like that. Oakdale had 4 or 5 decent hitters and the state's all-time wins and strike-out leader. I think they got beat at the state like 1-0 or 2-0 when Brad pitched and got smoked in the elimination game. So if you have  a stud pitcher, you can make the state if you can eek out a couple of 1-0, 2-1 type games in the regional/sub-state. 

That's the reason I wish TN would move to the best 2 out of 3 regionals and sectional tourneys like Georgia and Mississippi. That way 1 stud pitcher can get a weak team to state.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Coalfield strike out 15 Tigers today?

Anyways, the point I was getting at, and I felt like I was talking to a wall to be quite frank, was that while Coalfield/WB's ace might be good enough to limit a team like Meigs or Grace to 4 or 5 or 6 runs, it won't matter because if they can't score against the number 3 and 4 guys from Rockwood/TP/Midway, what makes you think they have a chance against Meigs or Grace's number 1 or 2 pitchers?

My point was primarily directed at a couple of folks who said D4 was superweak/ Mickey mouse and that the top four teams in 3a would cakewalk district 4. (i'm NOT saying it's strong, just that outside of GCA, 3a isn't killer most years either...) As well as I should get out out Morgan County more....when I have little or no connection to MC.

3a is ALOT better because of GCA... obviously (and 2 really bad teams in 4a). The rest of the teams most years just depend on who has a stud pitcher come playoff time. 4a has smaller schools in general, so they typically have a couple less bodies...a really good pitcher can equalize that at times... (my overall point) Sounded like last nights Meigs/ CF game was even til late.... Meigs apparently got a couple big hits to win it late. Had CF gotten a couple instead, game probably goes the other way. Oneida won the last 2 yrs... did that make 3a mickey mouse? No of course not. Meigs probably wins on Friday, just like Oneida last yr.

You are right; Coalfied won the state in 1998.

However, when you are talking about 1 player carrying a team from Morgan County, you are thinking about 94 Oakdale with Brad Howard. Oakdale didn't throw Howard against Coalfield that season, and let him pitch to get them into the regionals. Then he pitched Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to get them to the state (back then the regionals were single elimination. I think Oakdale won the games like 2-1, 3-2, and 1-0 or something like that. Oakdale had 4 or 5 decent hitters and the state's all-time wins and strike-out leader. I think they got beat at the state like 1-0 or 2-0 when Brad pitched and got smoked in the elimination game. So if you have a stud pitcher, you can make the state if you can eek out a couple of 1-0, 2-1 type games in the regional/sub-state.

That's the reason I wish TN would move to the best 2 out of 3 regionals and sectional tourneys like Georgia and Mississippi. That way 1 stud pitcher can get a weak team to state.

Also when back in the 90s, only 4 teams made it to state. Now with 8, you are playing at least one more game, making it even harder for a team with just one arm to make noise.