.45 sec Shot Clock is it time TSSAA and TN get one?

12thmanGCA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are a "lesser team" then turning them over shouldn't be a problem.

The lesser team could be the team that cant make shots with similar athleticism. Just because you you are the lesser team doesnt mean you can do some facets of the game well. And with your previous statement yes some teams like to slow down the game but 45 seconds would be enough to necessarily halt the tempo and execute your offense. And i agree if you timed the game most possessions wouldnt be 45 seconds unless there's a rebound(which resets the clock) or a team is intentionally holding the ball. The only time i'm for holding the ball is when a team is up by a lot late in the game, no need to pad stats at that time. But i could be bias though, I'm from the memphis area and we tend to play uptempo.   

You may very well be correct. But if a team can hold the ball on you your defense isn't very good.

Literally one of the dumbest things I have ever read on coacht. You can run motion or any other set screen offense and hold the ball for well over 45 seconds. It doesn't matter how good the defense is.

If run correctly chances are you would eventually get a wide open layup as the defense would be give out.

Edited by Shozen

I don't understand why controlling the tempo of the game isn't basketball. Some teams want to play fast some want to play slow. In my opinion part of coaching and stardegy on the high school level is to play at a speed that best utilizes your talent. Even on the college level with the shot clock teams slow down the game. It's not always based on the talent. If a Coach can get the pace slowed down and control the tempo to give his team a better chance to win. That's coaching. It's still Basketball. If a team wants to speed up the game. Press, trap in the half court, pressure the other team, etc... don't sit back in a zone and expect the other team to shoot a 3 at the first opportunity.

Bet if you go to any high school game and time each possession seldom will you get to 45 seconds.

your right. I doubt they would.  What I do not like to see is a team intentionally trying to hold the ball.  In college, you can run the shot clock all the way down and still implement a slow strategy but holding on to the ball for 2 to 3 minutes a quarter is something I think TSSAA should look at.  I realize it does not happen that often and most times, a team is not good enough to hold on to the ball that long without turning it over.  What is it teaching your kids about basketball if you intentionally hold the ball and make it a 16-12 type of game?

Edited by Fan15

your right. I doubt they would.  What I do not like to see is a team intentionally trying to hold the ball.  In college, you can run the shot clock all the way down and still implement a slow strategy but holding on to the ball for 2 to 3 minutes a quarter is something I think TSSAA should look at.  I realize it does not happen that often and most times, a team is not good enough to hold on to the ball that long without turning it over.  What is it teaching your kids about basketball if you intentionally hold the ball and make it a 16-12 type of game?

My point exactly. I dont think it couldve been said better. 

How many games in the last two years have you seen played like this?  I haven't seen one in my area in the last 10 - 15 years.  A big expense and trouble for schools for something that doesn't happen very often.  It is just my belief that the high school game does not need to be like the AAU games. 

No shot clock. When you have schools in your district twice your size the only hopes a team may have of being competitive is to shorten the game and limit possessions. If the other team is more talented they should be able to press and create turnovers but you take an option away from coaches with less talented teams which would encompass a large number of schools in all classifications. Then you would have to get a shot clock operator which would be another expense for schools as well as purchasing the clock. Then if you have a malfunction in the clock in a high school game what do you do? In college games they usually have a spare clock or backup plan. A lot of schools run on very small budgets in Tennessee It's just an unnecessary expense most schools can't afford. Plus just my opinion it would lead to more bad shots cause the clock is running down which in turn makes for bad basketball. A shot clock to me would just put the advantage even more to the larger schools in the classifications.

It sounds like your team sucks buddy ! If you can't compete with the larger schools then how about hiring a better coach? This is competition, right? IMO, a 30-35 second clock would be a welcome addition. If your team is so scared or pitiful that the only thing they can do is hold the ball then something is seriously wrong anyways.